Packers/Rodgers Headed for Divorce?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I get that, and it's fair to question.
Not so much with Rogers whose reputation for being a prick goes way back.
My work puts me in contact with big name entertainers sometimes, and the passive aggressive ways they can treat their subordinates can be rather shitty and borderline abusive. If he fits that personality type, who uses his untouchable status to constantly agitate or demean or whatever- people who lack the power (job security) to stand up to it, then screw him.
Meh. I went to school at Chico State and have a few friends that know him. They say he's a real family kid and still comes home and bumps around town.

I think I'll take their version of him over some passive aggressive article about him being passive aggressive while a franchise is being passive aggressive in return.

It's all pretty mundane and tired to me.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Meh. I went to school at Chico State and have a few friends that know him. They say he's a real family kid and still comes home and bumps around town.

I think I'll take their version of him over some passive aggressive article about him being passive aggressive while a franchise is being passive aggressive in return.

Really? There has been years of stories that Aaron is basically estranged from his family. And neither side denies it.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

RamFan503,
That's odd. I have read the opposite; that he's on the outs with his family and can't stand his younger brother. Of course I don't know first hand but I've read comments from his dad saying something along the lines of, "We're praying that our family can be put back together......" or something close to that.

Also, I heard that he really resents his family (mtl his parents) religious views and that has been a source of discontent. Meh....I could be wrong in all this so who knows?
Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Yup. I'm sure those in charge of the Packers would love the new GM costing the team $52 million in dead money over two years by a June 1st trade. Face it, any trade in the next two years will cost the Packers in tons of dead money. They are on the hook for that money if Rodgers is playing for the Packers or the Cardinals.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It really was a series of odd decisions by the Packers.

Would an owner have prevented the Packers from drafting Jordan Love?

Green Bay’s stunning decision to trade up four spots to take a first-round flier on quarterback Jordan Love raises many questions. Here’s one that Simms and I discussed on Monday’s PFTOT: Would a traditional owner have allowed G.M. Brian Gutekunst to make the move?

To answer the question, which was smartly raised by Simms, of whether an owner would have answered the “can we trade up for Jordan Love?” question with a “hell no,” it’s important to remember the question that Gutekunst would have posed to an owner less than 20 months earlier: “Can we sign Aaron Ridgers, who has two years left under contract, to a four-year extension?”

More specifically, can we give Aaron a $57.5 million signing bonus? Can we pay him $66.9 million through the 2018 season? Can we pay him $81.9 million through the 2019 season?

Yes, the Packers have paid Rodgers nearly $82 million for two years of football, in order to have the right to employ him for four seasons beyond that. Now, those four seasons will at best coincide with the four years of Love’s rookie contract.

Would an owner who green-lit a major late-career investment in Green Bay’s franchise quarterback have also approved the acquisition of his likely successor so soon thereafter? Maybe some would have, but others definitely would have refused. If there were misgivings about Rodgers’ longevity, the Packers should have simply dogpaddled through the final two years of his prior contract and then tagged him or signed him now, at the age of 36. It’s difficult if not impossible to harmonize signing him to a six-year contract in August 2018 with selecting the guy who presumably will take over for Rodgers at some point during the four years of the extension that was tacked onto Rodgers’ prior deal.

Of course, Gutekunst didn’t have unfettered discretion, even without an owner. He surely sought, and received, the approval of CEO Mark Murphy. And Murphy had no qualms about making a move that doesn’t quite mesh with the decision to give Rodgers a massive contract.

Then again, maybe Murphy thinks that having Love on the roster will coax even better play out of Rodgers. Indeed, it was Murphy who embraced the potential friction flowing from the Tyler Dunne article that, among other things, characterized Murphy as telling Rodgers “don’t be the problem” and claimed that Murphy had become weary of Rodgers’ “diva stuff.”

“I think this is going to be great motivation for [Rodgers] and the team,” said Murphy at the time in response to the storm of something other than sand created by Dunne’s article. “You hate to have your dirty laundry aired but I do think it’s going to be a positive.”

And it was. The Packers went 13-3 and nearly got to the Super Bowl. So if a little dysfunction is good, maybe a lot is better — and maybe this whole thing was designed to give Rodgers a reason to finish his career with a full-on sprint.

It’s still an all-in play that carries plenty of risk, including a very real chance that, after the 2020 season, Rodgers will begin to clamor for a trade to a team with an owner who wouldn’t make a major investment in Rodgers and then turn around not very long after doing so and undermine him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If the Packers trade Rodgers to New England....I'm done!

Lmao - so wanted to post almost the same. It was like does NE have the cap space?? What would it take & then I’m like this can’t happen.

Funny stuff & would not be a stretch.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Where is this going?

REPORT: PACKERS HC MATT LAFLEUR FED UP WITH AARON RODGERS

The Green Bay Packers’ shocking decision to trade up for Utah State quarterback Jordan Love in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft was apparently meant to send a message to Aaron Rodgers.

Fresh off an appearance in the NFC Championship game, Green Bay was seemingly prepared to get a pro-ready prospect who could help Rogers immediately. That obviously never came to fruition.

Instead, the Packers looked to a future without Aaron Rodgers under center. It’s a future that could come sooner rather than later.

According to Bob McGinn of The Athletic, Packers head coach Matt LaFleur has grown tired of Rodgers’ act and passive-aggressive style.

“PUBLIC NICETIES ASIDE, MY SENSE IS LAFLEUR, FRESH FROM A TERRIFIC 13-3 BAPTISMAL SEASON, SIMPLY HAD ENOUGH OF RODGERS’ ACT AND WANTED TO CHANGE THE NARRATIVE. WITH A FIRST-ROUND TALENT ON THE ROSTER, THE PACKERS WOULD GAIN LEVERAGE WITH THEIR IMPERIAL QUARTERBACK AND HIS PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE STYLE,” THE REPORT READ. “IF THE PACKERS DO INDEED WANT TO BECOME A RUNNING TEAM NEXT SEASON, THEY SURELY WOULDN’T WANT RODGERS ROCKING THE BOAT AND BECOMING EVEN MORE DIFFICULT TO COACH.”

This seems to be more of an indictment of Rodgersthan anything else. Remember, his relationship with former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy was strained before they fired him late in the 2018 season.

Rodgers, 36, is coming off a 2019 campaign that saw him record north of 4,000 yards with 26 touchdowns and four interceptions. The future Hall of Fame quarterback still seems to be in his prime.

Despite this, the marriage between Rodgers and his original Packers team could very well be on the brink. The 2020 campaign will be a defining one for said relationship.

I mean how fitting ??? Look at how the Packers have stayed on Top ??

Aaron Rogers was drafted the same reason why Live was in theory ??

It took Rogers how many seasons to replace Brett Farve. How great was it to see Farve still show his skills in the NFL.
Btw - Fuck Williams for having the Saints turning that ankle the way they did.
PLUS Fuck the referee not Protecting Farve on that play. Talk about Brady, Brett Farve was pretty special.

— Talk about a team that did the same,but as a Free Agent. Steve Young & Joe Montana. Always wanted to see Marcus & Joe win win together. Speaking of another Super Bowl Champ KC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Matt LaFleur must walk tightrope with approach to Aaron Rodgers after Jordan Love pick

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Coaches and high-ranking executives around the NFL will invariably tell you the most important relationship in an NFL building is between the head coach and quarterback.

Especially when that head coach runs the offense.

In the Green Bay Packers’ case, the chemistry coach Matt LaFleur so carefully fostered with Aaron Rodgers last year is in jeopardy because the team selected Jordan Love in the first round of this year’s draft.

We don’t know exactly what role LaFleur played in the Love pick, because general manager Brian Gutekunst has final say over the draft and roster. But Gutekunst has made clear he wouldn’t give LaFleur a player the coach didn’t want.

There also was LaFleur’s reaction on the TV broadcast of the draft. In a 10-second clip from his home office shown only minutes after the pick LaFleur looked happy enough. His smile certainly appeared genuine.

When Rodgers made his first public comments since the Packers picked Love in a 38-minute teleconference with reporters Friday, he wasn’t asked about how the pick might affect his relationship with his coach. But really, his answer for public consumption wouldn’t matter much. He’s too smart and has had too much time to absorb the decision to say something inflammatory, though he did cop to not being thrilled by the pick and what it says about his future with the team.

"I think it was more the surprise of the pick based on my own feelings of wanting to play into my 40s and really the realization that it does change (my) controllables a little bit," Rodgers said.

A couple weeks earlier, though, we got a better sense of Rodgers’ initial reaction from Brett Favre, who talked to Rodgers in the days immediately after the draft. In an interview with NBC Sports Network’s Rich Eisen in late April, Favre said he’d talked to Rodgers and shared some of the sentiment of their conversation, even if he didn’t ascribe any comments directly to Rodgers.

"I think (the Packers) burned a bridge that's going to be hard to overcome," Favre said. "At some point, I think it will rear its ugly head."

To be fair, Favre’s conversation with Rodgers and comment to Eisen came when the Love selection was still fresh. Time can change perspectives and salve feelings. Rodgers might feel differently in August than he did in late April or does now.

Also, being unhappy with the pick now doesn’t destine an imminent blowup with the team. Favre, for instance, was angry when the Packers picked Rodgers in 2005 — former team executive Andrew Brandt has spoken publicly of taking a call or two from Favre’s irate agent, Bus Cook, not long after the pick — yet he remained the Packers’ quarterback for three more seasons.

In the coming months don’t be surprised if reports leak out both ways on this matter —that LaFleur would have preferred getting immediate help from a first-round pick, and that he was proponent of the Love selection. Regardless of what any reports say, if you’re Rodgers you have to suspect at minimum LaFleur was on board with the pick. That wouldn’t sit well with any star quarterback who plans on playing four or five more years.

So what does that mean for Rodgers, LaFleur and the Packers going forward?

This could go any of several ways. An instructive recent example in the NFL is when the New England Patriots drafted Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round in 2014. Tom Brady, like Rodgers now, was 36 at the time.

Garoppolo wasn’t a first-round pick, but coach Bill Belichick selected him as Brady’s potential successor, and it set off a volatile dynamic between coach and quarterback that nevertheless produced three more Super Bowl wins and a fourth Super Bowl appearance. The pick spurred Brady to some of the best football of his career, and Belichick eventually traded Garoppolo, though this offseason, six years after the fact, Brady finally left the team in free agency.

"Ever since (Belichick drafted Garoppolo), Brady was worried that Garoppolo was going to take his job at some point," said Ian O’Connor, author of Belichick: The Making of the Greatest Football Coach of All-Time, in an interview on "The Stephen A. Smith Show" in 2018. "Clearly, Belichick fell in love with Jimmy G as a young player. ... Brady felt that. He elevated his game. He outplayed the plan."

Will the drafting of Love have a similar effect on Rodgers? That will be determined in part on how the daily interactions go between a coach who calls the offense and the quarterback who implements it on the field. This will test LaFleur’s emotional IQ. Rodgers’ too.

LaFleur went to great lengths last season year as a rookie coach to establish a harmonious relationship with Rodgers. The coach attended all quarterback meetings and even changed his offense to bestow Rodgers with more autonomy at the line of scrimmage than the Kyle Shanahan scheme normally allows.

Now, the second-year coach faces the challenge of managing his relationship with a future Hall of Fame quarterback who very well might harbor resentment for him. I don’t want to parse Rodgers’ comments to death, but it jumped out from his teleconference Friday when he publicly acknowledged the Love pick makes it unlikely he’ll retire with the Packers. Considering it’s been his stated desire to finish with the team he started, that has to hurt.

"If I were to retire in the organization's timetable, then it's an easy decision," he said. "But if there comes a time where I feel like I can still play at a high level and my body feels great, you know, then there's other guys that have gone on and played elsewhere."

If Rodgers’ mind is inclined to find slights real and imagined as motivation, as Favre’s and Brady’s have before him, he won’t have to try hard to find one now. The question is whether it will spur him to a big run with the Packers or rupture his relationship with his coach to the point that Rodgers departs as early as next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Rodgers made it known to the Packers he wants to play into his 40's... He's 36 now... But the Packers still proceed to choose a QB in the 1st round this year...

That's quite the investment... and hard to imagine Rodgers with the Packers next year.

Simply; you don't draft a rookie QB in ROUND 1 to put him on the bench for 4 years.

It sure looks like the Packers want to cash out a trade for Rodgers at the end of his career, take advantage of that and get some picks.... having a plan in place for his successor.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Really? There has been years of stories that Aaron is basically estranged from his family. And neither side denies it.

Only repeating what friends have told me. If he's had family problems over the past few years, it is what it is. A buddy of mine was with him last year and said they just kind of hung out. Not sure how much of the stories are over blown or if they're accurate. But a story about the Packers doing something out of spite because they want to stick it to Aaron, still remains a yawner to me and smacks of drama for the sake of drama. AR is aging. Drafting his replacement would seem wise, not a stab at AR because they somehow are that petty.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
If Rodgers made it known to the Packers he wants to play into his 40's... He's 36 now... But the Packers still proceed to choose a QB in the 1st round this year...

That's quite the investment... and hard to imagine Rodgers with the Packers next year.

Simply; you don't draft a rookie QB in ROUND 1 to put him on the bench for 4 years.

It sure looks like the Packers want to cash out a trade for Rodgers at the end of his career, take advantage of that and get some picks.... having a plan in place for his successor.

You're exactly right. You can't sit a Round 1 qb for four years. Assuming the Packers have a strategy (which isn't clear to me-- they appeared to pick a qb on a split second draft day decision because someone fell to them) it can only be to trade Rodgers, sooner or later. A better strategy might have been to finally get Rodgers some help to win a Super Bowl, or to wait a year or two to draft a qb.

Too late. Now they're stuck. Imo it won't be pretty.

Rodgers won't be happy. The offense, which had a chance to bring back the passing game to a high level with a top wr pick, will be stuck in neutral. They will drive Rodgers to demand a trade. He will get it within a year or two, to a contender with receivers such as Dallas.

Love won't be ready to play, much less at a high level, for several years if ever. They will waste his rookie contract, or put him on the field before he is ready, or both.

No one will be happy with Love at qb. The fans will rebel and the Packers GM and coach will be fired. Packers will start another rebuild, having wasted most of the career of one of the best qbs ever to play the game.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I used to feel the same about Aaron Rodgers as I feel about Russell Wilson, in that he could wreck a game by winning it at the last second.
I don't have that sense of dread anymore when Rodgers has the ball, trying to drive the length of the field to score. Now I think, when will he throw a pick?

Guess you had a long wait between all 4 last year......

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guess you had a long wait between all 4 last year......
My perceptions are over the last few Ram games and the Packers. I could give a crap about Rodgers and the Packers otherwise against others....

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not know why I think this, because I do not know the guy. I just get the feeling Rodgers likes people talking about him. I don't think he cares if it is good things to say or bad, he just keeps doing his thing. I always thought he did that because he wanted to be in a bigger market. I think he wants out.

As far as he and the Packers relationship moving forward. Rodgers might get what he wants, and it might be on a worse team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I do not know why I think this, because I do not know the guy. I just get the feeling Rodgers likes people talking about him. I don't think he cares if it is good things to say or bad, he just keeps doing his thing. I always thought he did that because he wanted to be in a bigger market. I think he wants out.

As far as he and the Packers relationship moving forward. Rodgers might get what he wants, and it might be on a worse team.

Interesting take. Hmm.

Yeah, there has always been something about his TV persona that seems not 100% transparent. Not saying he’s a phoney, it’s not that... he puts on a “front”, maybe?

If the Packers win early, they will probably navigate this.

If they lose early, I dunno.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Agent's Take: Here's when the Packers should trade Aaron Rodgers, based on how his contract is structured

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers expressed his preference to spend his entire NFL career in Green Bay during a conference call with the media last Friday. The 36-year-old may not get that chance after the Packers selected his potential replacement, Jordan Love, with the 26th overall pick during the 2020 NFL Draft in late April. The two-time NFL MVP reiterated that he planned on playing into his 40s.

The selection of Love was a surprise to many, especially considering the Packers traded up four spots to get him despite coming off a 2019 season in which they were eliminated from the playoffs by the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. The expectation was the Packers would select someone in the first round that could make an immediate contribution, perhaps providing Rodgers an offensive weapon in a deep wide receiver draft class.

Should Rodgers leave Green Bay for another team, it's going to be via a trade. His play would have to drop off dramatically over the next two seasons for the Packers to release him.

Contracts for Green Bay's quarterbacks

Rodgers and Love's contracts don't align well for the Packers. Rodgers, who is under contract through the 2023 season, is entering the first year of a four-year, $134 million contract extension he signed in 2018 when he had two years remaining on his existing contract. The extension, which is worth up to $138 million through salary escalators and incentives, made Rodgers the league's highest-paid player at $33.5 million per year. Rodgers' deal contained $98.2 million in guarantees, including a then-NFL record $57.5 million signing bonus. $78.7 million was fully guaranteed at signing.

As the 26th overall pick, Love is expected to sign a four-year, $12,383,470 deal. The first three years of Love's contract will be fully guaranteed. Most of Love's $2,298,655 fourth year salary in 2023, if not all, will also be fully guaranteed.

The Packers will have an option for a fifth year in 2024 with Love since he is a first-round pick. The fifth-year option must be exercised after the third year of the deal, between the end of the 2022 regular season and May 3, 2023. The fifth-year salary is fully guaranteed upon exercise of the option. Love's fourth-year base salary will also become fully guaranteed when the option year is picked up if it wasn't already.

Love's performance will dictate his 2024 option-year salary. With two or more Pro Bowl selections on the original ballot during the first three seasons of his contract, Love's fifth-year salary will be the franchise tender, which is average of the five highest salaries, for quarterbacks in the fourth year of his contract (2023). One Pro Bowl selection on the original ballot during the first three seasons of the deal will put Love's fifth-year salary at the transition tender, which is average of the 10 highest salaries, for quarterbacks in the fourth year of his contract.

Participating in 75 percent of offensive plays in two of the first three seasons of the deal or an average of at least 50 percent offensive playtime in each of his first three seasons will set Love's fifth-year salary at the average of the third through 20th-highest salaries for quarterbacks in 2023. If Love doesn't fall into any of these three categories, his fifth-year salary will be the average of the third through 25th-highest salaries for quarterbacks. This number is currently $17.54 million.

Barring a Rodgers injury, the Packers may not have a good idea whether Love would be worth the fully guaranteed fifth-year option salary in 2024, which should be at a minimum $20 million, without him becoming the starting quarterback by the 2022 season.

Rodgers sat behind first-ballot Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre for three years after he unexpectedly fell to the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft. Teams no longer keep quarterbacks taken in the first round on the bench for an extended period of time, as Green Bay did with Rodgers. The Chiefs essentially redshirting 2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes during his rookie year in 2017 is considered exercising patience with quarterbacks nowadays.

The logistics of a 2021 trade

The better the Packers do this upcoming season, the less likely Rodgers is traded next offseason unless he tries to force his way out of Green Bay or some team makes an offer that couldn't be refused. Rodgers has a $6.8 million third day of the 2021 league roster bonus in his contract. It wouldn't make financial sense for the Packers to trade Rodgers in 2021 after becoming responsible for the $6.8 million sometime during the latter part of next March.

The Packers also didn't do themselves any favors in parting ways with Rodgers next year by restructuring his contract for salary cap purposes near the end of the 2019 season. $14.26 million of Rodgers' 2020 $21.55 million salary was converted to signing bonus and prorated over his 2019 through 2023 contract years. Rodgers' $33.05 million 2020 cap number dropped $11.408 million to $21.642 million. His 2021 through 2023 salary cap numbers each increased by $2.852 million in the restructure.

Rodgers has the NFL's third-highest 2021 cap number at $36.352 million. Trading him before the $6.8 million becomes due would leave the Packers with a $31.556 million cap charge in 2021 from the remaining proration of his $57.5 million signing bonus and the $14.26 million converted into signing bonus during last December's contract restructure.

$4.796 million of cap space would be created by a trade. The Packers would also gain $39.852 million and $28.352 million of cap room in 2022 and 2023, respectively, from having Rodgers come off the books because of the trade. The acquiring team would have Rodgers under contract for three years at a total of $73 million. Rodgers' $24,333,333 average yearly salary for a new team would be less than the $24.837 million transition tag for quarterback's this year.

$31.556 million would be an unheard of amount of dead money, which is cap charge for a player no longer on a team's roster. The largest cap charge from dead money for a player during any league year is the $21.8 million the Rams are currently carrying after trading wide receiver Brandin Cooks to the Texans last month.

The cap savings from a trade would be better if the 2018 extension had been left intact. The Packers would have needed to find the $11.408 million of 2020 cap space the restructure created somewhere else, but the only bonus proration would have been from $57.5 million signing bonus. The Packers could have picked up $9.6 million of cap room and had $23 million in dead money.

The logistics of a 2022 trade

A trade in 2022 seems more likely than in 2021. The Packers would pick up $22.648 million cap room by removing Rodgers' $39.852 million cap number in 2022 from the equation. There would be $17.204 million of dead money in 2022 from Rodgers' departure. Just like with a trade in 2021, Rodgers' $28.352 million cap number in 2023 would come off Green Bay's books.

The Packers would have a new starting quarterback in Love with $1,735,770 and $2,298,655 salaries in 2022 and 2023, with $3,377,310 and $3,940,195 cap numbers respectively in those years.

The Packers would probably have less time to determine whether Love is the long-term successor to Rodgers with a 2022 trade. Waiting would limit the amount of Love's fifth-year option in 2024. There wouldn't be a way for him to elevate the option year to the 2023 quarterback franchise tag as a first-year starter. Getting his option-year salary to the 2023 transition tag would require Love instantly becoming one of the NFC's best quarterbacks to earn a Pro Bowl berth. The most likely scenario would be Love's option-year salary being at the lowest level because it would be hard for him to average 50 percent playtime over his first three years even he took all of Green Bay's quarterback snaps in 2022 unless Rodgers missed significant time with an injury during his first two years.

Presumably, the Packers would be able to get more for Rodgers than the 2009 conditional fourth-round pick that increased to a third round pick received for trading Favre to the Jets during the 2008 preseason. Rodgers would be a bargain contractually, although he would be 38. He would have two years left on his contract for a nonguaranteed $51 million, where he would be making $25.5 million in both 2022 and 2023. Tom Brady, who will turn 43 before the start of this season, signed a fully guaranteed two-year, $50 million deal (worth a maximum of $59 million through incentives) with the Buccaneers in free agency.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
My perceptions are over the last few Ram games and the Packers. I could give a crap about Rodgers and the Packers otherwise against others....

so in 18' was the last time they played and he threw 0 int, the game basically ended without him getting a chance to make a game winning/tying drive as Ty Montgomery fumbled the ball back to the Rams on a return in the last few minutes.

before that you have to go back to 15' for another Packers/Rams game he played in...he did throw 2 that game....so you have felt that way since 15....