GAME DAY Packers at Lions: 12:30 p.m. ET

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Awareness?
That seems to be his real Achilles heel. He's tough as nails and he can put balls on a dime (today not being a good example) but he sure doesn't seem to realize when a defender is close.

Did anyone also notice how many flutter balls were coming out of his hand today? It was like his hand was always losing grip either with or without contact.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I like Jared and root for him.

I just point out this stuff because I'm real tired of people suggesting he's better with the Lions than he was with the Rams.. and/or suggesting maybe the Rams would've been better off keeping Goff.

Stafford was the right move for the Rams.

And I like Stafford and am glad the trade was made given that we got a ring, which I don't think could have happened with Jared, at least not at that particular time.

But I'm not so sure I agree on how he's playing now (today notwithstanding), and do think a good argument can be made he's playing better now.

What I'm tired of is people holding him to one standard and holding other QBs - Stafford included - to another. If Stafford took the pounding Goff did today and put the ball on the carpet 3 times, all we would hear about is how our OL was shit and didn't protect him enough.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
And I like Stafford and am glad the trade was made given that we got a ring, which I don't think could have happened with Jared, at least not at that particular time.

But I'm not so sure I agree on how he's playing now (today notwithstanding), and do think a good argument can be made he's playing better now.

What I'm tired of is people holding him to one standard and holding other QBs - Stafford included - to another. If Stafford took the pounding Goff did today and put the ball on the carpet 3 times, all we would hear about is how our OL was shit and didn't protect him enough.
That's all we've been hearing post sb.

Tano

Legend
Everyone knows how I feel about Goff but Stafford was much better under pressure and was excellent at bringing teams from behind.

However, I also think Stafford's age has caught up to him and he can't handle the pressure as well as he used to.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Everyone knows how I feel about Goff but Stafford was much better under pressure and was excellent at bringing teams from behind.

However, I also think Stafford's age has caught up to him and he can't handle the pressure as well as he used to.

I'm definitely beginning to wonder.

The physical breakdown of his body is even more concerning though. People in sports can get old real fast.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I don't think there's any argument he's playing better and it plays out to the eye test and numbers. Goff in 2018 was better.
He's playing close to that level now.
My point is that he's the same guy he was before. Much like in 2018, he has an incredible support system this year. Two great RBs.. an OUTSTANDING line (bad today, for sure), excellent targets and fantastic scheme and play calling.

But he wasn't a guy and isn't a guy who can succeed when things are suboptimal around him. We saw it with the Rams and have seen it with the Lions. He also turns the ball over *more* when things are bad than QBs who are better than him.

That's the difference between him and Stafford.

Stafford can and does hit his own lows.. I'm the first one on here to point out he has more pick-sixes thrown than any other active player. It's part of who he is as a QB.

But Stafford also has the ability to create plays in a way that Goff never could.. like he did in the Super Bowl.

I've held Goff to the same standard I always have and will always be completely fair with him.

Most of my rant is a product of fatigue of the revisionist history around here that I've seen recently.. and the, "oh, sure we won a Super Bowl.. but maybe we would've been better with Goff" nonsense that I've seen on here. It's just silly.

The Rams won a Super Bowl and Stafford was absolutely a difference-maker in making it happen. We're seeing the price the Rams paid for their approach.. which is one I'm more than happy to see paid. They don't hand out the Lombardi Trophy for "sensible team building."

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Let's see what he looks like with Williams back.

Because the first few games of the season... Stafford was one of the top QBs in the league at making tough throws and the offense was doing just fine.

And that was without Kupp.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Most of my rant is a product of fatigue of the revisionist history around here that I've seen recently.. and the, "oh, sure we won a Super Bowl.. but maybe we would've been better with Goff" nonsense that I've seen on here. It's just silly.

I basically agree with your take. Most of my rant is directed to those (not you) that inexplicably hold Goff to a different standard when things go to shit around him but than they do with Stafford (who I'm not is at good at overcoming adversity as he used to be), as well as those that have been largely silent as Goff has rebuilt his career in Detroit and overall played well the last two years but come out of the woodwork on a day like today with the "see I told you so shit."

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Because the first few games of the season... Stafford was one of the top QBs in the league at making tough throws and the offense was doing just fine.

That last line brings up something else that is bugging me about Staff this year - he seems better without Kupp than with him. He seems to get tunnel vision when Kupp is in there, and it’s frustrating as fuck that a seasoned vet like him can’t adapt to spread the ball around more, especially when he’s been gifted with a stud like Puka and now that TuTu has shown he can be a contributor and can get behind a defense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That last line brings up something else that is bugging me about Staff this year - he seems better without Kupp than with him. He seems to get tunnel vision when Kupp is in there, and it’s frustrating as fuck that a seasoned vet like him can’t adapt to spread the ball around more, especially when he’s been gifted with a stud like Puka and now that TuTu has shown he can be a contributor and can get behind a defense.
Yeah.. that's been odd.
I'm not sure if any of it is a function of play calling or if he's just overly-reliant on Kupp. Either way, I agree.. he needs to use all his weapons.
I will say that I think there's a little bit of a small sample size issue with it.. they've only been on the field together a few full games... and none with both of them and Kyren Williams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate to say it, but Kupp doesn't seem to be the same guy we saw in 2021. Staying healthy for a whole season doesn't seem possible for him anymore. I hate to go all @Merlin on you with a possible trade of him, but as you say Puka is an able replacement. Their abilities are not exactly the same, but both are big play WR's.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And @Tano , you are measuring Stafford without Andrew Whittworth. The Oline is better this year, but that doesn't help Stafford on the longer developing plays that McVay likes to run. Jackson is not a true starting LT like we all hoped he would be and Boom is no better. We need a true blue chip tackle in the draft to extend Stafford's career. If they go QB or TE next year, Stafford might as well retire before he gets killed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hate to say it, but Kupp doesn't seem to be the same guy we saw in 2021. Staying healthy for a whole season doesn't seem possible for him anymore. I hate to go all @Merlin on you with a possible trade of him, but as you say Puka is an able replacement. Their abilities are not exactly the same, but both are big play WR's.
He might be back to his old self once he gets fully back from the injuries. Just looks dinged up and slow to me. Said when he returned I felt he may have come back too early and I hope that's what it is vice him just aging. Reason I'm not too worried is because Kupp's game is not speed, has never been. It is quickness and positioning and intelligence and strength. Puka is similar, he's a Kupp clone in what his strengths are.

But we definitely have a speed problem. Kupp is not fast. Neither is Puka. Skow's a similar guy as well. Defensively we lack speed on the back end. It's an issue.

I'd still prioritize LT as I keep saying, with that early pick. But a bigtime pass game threat could do wonders for this offense too.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How in the hell did the Lions lose to the Packers?

Prolly @thirteen28 's boy Jared choked it away.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If by some miracle we get into the playoffs we'll be the last seed which means good chance we draw the Lions in the wildcard round. That would be fun. :part:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If by some miracle we get into the playoffs we'll be the last seed which means good chance we draw the Lions in the wildcard round. That would be fun. :part:
"Don't cross the streams!" ~ Ghostbuster's Proverb

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Last thing I want to see is Goff sending us out the playoffs. I rather just not make it tbh.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last thing I want to see is Goff sending us out the playoffs. I rather just not make it tbh.
If we get in someone is gonna knock us out quickly. Lions are one of the easier high seeds.