Owners approve 3rd Emergency QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh, the 3rd QB still has to be on the 53 man roster, but its better than nothing.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I just think that it took Kyle’s poor judgement to bring this all about.

pushing eric cartman GIF by South Park

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The whiners chose not to have a 3rd QB active for the NFCC game. Teams had the ability to have 3 QBs active on gameday before this rule, this rule just gives an extra gameday roster spot that can only be used for a QB, if I understand it correctly.

dang

Legend
What’s so pathetic was the 69ers crying about how they would have won the NFCCG if they would have been given an extra active roster spot for a 3rd QB. Despite the fact that was not allowed at that time and they freakin knew it. I guess the excuse this year will be they didn’t win the Super Bowl because they weren’t allowed to play with 13 on defense. Freakin whiners!!

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Choking Niners, got I love how they gag when things get tough. If the Rams beat them in the playoffs the fans will have fits. The Niner fans tout their regular season record vs the Rams, but in reality, it's in the playoffs where it's single elimination that counts. Historically the Rams vs the 49ers in the playoffs are 1-1. The Ram loss came back in 1989 (ancient history even for me). That's hardly domination.

49er playoff record last 10 years (since 2013)
8-4 (66.67%) With one of the losses their only SB (2013) appearance during that time frame. Last SB win was 1995 playing Chargers with Rivers playing on an ACL tear and Tomlinson out early aggravating existing injury, i.e. beating a wounded duck.

LA Rams playoff record last 10 years
7-3 (70%) With two SB appearances, 1 loss and 1 win. This is why the playoff win tore the hearts out of the Niner fan base.

The bottom line is that the 49er fans have nothing to crow about. The Rams are the better playoff team the last 10 years compared to the 49ers. So it's time to do it again. This team is closer to a Lombardi Trophy than the 49ers. I don't think their defense will be as good and they don't have a proven QB1.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
LOL

If a team ever has to send out the 3rd string emergency QB... I can GUARANTEE one thing for certain.

The team trotting out the 3rd string QB is fucking losing that game.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL

If a team ever has to send out the 3rd string emergency QB... I can GUARANTEE one thing for certain.

The team trotting out the 3rd string QB is fucking losing that game.
I don't know bruddah. Imagine a team holding a 5 point lead mid 3rd quarter and the back up 2nd string quarterback keeps uttering "I am Batman" after a wicked concussion. Wildcat rest of game might be enough if your defense and punting game are on fire, but it only takes 2 field goals to beat you. It sure would be nice to have that 3rd QB on the game day Active Squad.

I found this verbiage for last year's rule on Roster limit:
Essentially, teams are now allowed to elevate players from their practice squad to the game day roster without having to cut a member of the 53-man team. Accordingly, teams can increase from the standard 53 to 55 players while game day active squads expand from a previous 46 to 47 players (or 48 if a team carries eight offensive linemen). Any practice squad player can be elevated and automatically reverts back to the developmental roster after a game.
I think I read somewhere else that a practice squad player was eligible to be promoted to the provisional 55 3 times in a season, without cutting a player in the standard 53. This shit is more complicated than I thought.

I think the interesting thing to come out of this rule pivots around how good the team's 3rd QB is-- and whether it is smart to risk him being poached if left on the practice squad all season. More teams might take that risk knowing he can be dressed for every game under this new rule. I think teams are going to be motivated to pull the trigger and take that risk.... resulting in an uptick of the top tier 3rd stringers getting poached.

Shit. I might take a break on the analytical football posts. My head hurts from all that crap I just typed.

Go Rams!!!!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't know bruddah. Imagine a team holding a 5 point lead mid 3rd quarter and the back up 2nd string quarterback keeps uttering "I am Batman" after a wicked concussion. Wildcat rest of game might be enough if your defense and punting game are on fire, but it only takes 2 field goals to beat you. It sure would be nice to have that 3rd QB on the game day Active Squad.

I found this verbiage for last year's rule on Roster limit:

I think I read somewhere else that a practice squad player was eligible to be promoted to the provisional 55 3 times in a season, without cutting a player in the standard 53. This shit is more complicated than I thought.

I think the interesting thing to come out of this rule pivots around how good the team's 3rd QB is-- and whether it is smart to risk him being poached if left on the practice squad all season. More teams might take that risk knowing he can be dressed for every game under this new rule. I think teams are going to be motivated to pull the trigger and take that risk.... resulting in an uptick of the top tier 3rd stringers getting poached.

Shit. I might take a break on the analytical football posts. My head hurts from all that crap I just typed.

Go Rams!!!!

I thought about that... and you're right... in that case a team would have a chance of hanging on to their lead.

BUT

That team isn't coming out the following week and winning the SB.

So basically it's like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

Tano

Legend
I am wondering if the 3rd qb has to be part of the 53 limit but does not need to be part of the game day 48 and can be added only if two QBs are injured and are ruled out of the game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Not sure what the salary implications are. Does the emergency guy get a game day check? Or a practice squad check?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am wondering if the 3rd qb has to be part of the 53 limit but does not need to be part of the game day 48 and can be added only if two QBs are injured and are ruled out of the game.
He has to be on the 53 man roster but not on the 48 active list
It's much ado about nothing