Overturn the Review?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
Yeah, I know. The real precedent the NFL doesn't want to set is that they could ever be so wrong that a game outcome needed fixing.
Bingo.

That, and they don't want to set themselves up to be petitioned for an overrule after every single game that harbors a shitty call.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Ram Quixote said:
Yeah, I know. The real precedent the NFL doesn't want to set is that they could ever be so wrong that a game outcome needed fixing.
Bingo.

That, and they don't want to set themselves up to be petitioned for an overrule after every single game that harbors a cruddy call.
The only reason this one is doable is because it was the last play. The clock snafu against Detroit, for example, couldn't be fixed because both teams would have to go back and replay.

The only reason this should be fixed is to acknowledge the mistake of hiring replacement referees in the first place. Extenuating circumstances makes this a non-precedent event.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
X said:
Ram Quixote said:
Bingo.

That, and they don't want to set themselves up to be petitioned for an overrule after every single game that harbors a cruddy call.
The only reason this one is doable is because it was the last play. The clock snafu against Detroit, for example, couldn't be fixed because both teams would have to go back and replay.

The only reason this should be fixed is to acknowledge the mistake of hiring replacement referees in the first place. Extenuating circumstances makes this a non-precedent event.
I see your point.

But. I still think there's no way they even consider altering the outcome of this one.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
I see your point.

But. I still think there's no way they even consider altering the outcome of this one.
Agreed.

If the NFL were to reverse this game it would just give the broadcasters more ammunition for a lawsuit against the NFL, and NFL corporate is not going to make the situation worse due to the amount of money at stake within the broadcast contracts.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Ram Quixote said:
X said:
Ram Quixote said:
Bingo.

I see your point.

Well I gotta think they would be improving their cred by saying" their are no other ramifications after this ruling so we can rule against this outcome".

Just gotta ask though IS THERE a mechanism that allows reversal of game outcomes? ,if not why not? ,if there is authority above the on field refs. IMO their refusal to accept the responsibility their authority is cuppled to is more a problem than the future petitions.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Just heard the league IS reviewing the game ,whatever that means, FWIW ,I hope they overturn it cuz X will owe me lunch :mrgreen:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
ESPN's Trey Wingo:

@wingoz: For those wondering.. there IS a little known clause in the rule book that allows the Commissioner to over turn the end of the game.. cont

Rule 17 Section 1 Article 2. " The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary action and/or ....

corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which he deems so extraordinarily..

unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result on the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well now...

Does he pull the trigger on this one?

Spotlight's on you, Rog.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Well now...

Does he pull the trigger on this one?

Spotlight's on you, Rog.

It may be the ONLY way for him to recover any integrity, while "SIMULTANEOUSLY" admitting that these refs blow dead donkey d#$!......

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wont do it, the NFL says that the final is the final. They basically tried to say that the catch was legit, it was really weird. Just stupid, they can't admit it's wrong or they give too much leverage to the lockedout refs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Wont do it, the NFL says that the final is the final. They basically tried to say that the catch was legit, it was really weird. Just stupid, they can't admit it's wrong or they give too much leverage to the lockedout refs.
That's lunch for me, Thordaddy.

Tell ya what. I'll pick up the tip. :razzed:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
JdashSTL said:
ESPN's Trey Wingo:

@wingoz: For those wondering.. there IS a little known clause in the rule book that allows the Commissioner to over turn the end of the game.. cont

Rule 17 Section 1 Article 2. " The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary action and/or ....

corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which he deems so extraordinarily..

unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result on the game.
If the commissioner were to overturn, just think how Vegas would respond. It means at least $150M out of their pockets, instead of in to their pockets. That's some significant change.