Overly Optimistic?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Even after the loss (It was just the 1st preseason game!) to the Browns this past Thursday I still think the Rams have a very talented young team (and, a great coaching staff) and will reach the playoffs this season either as the NFC West Division Champs or as a Wild Card Team! We already know the Rams have a very good Defense which should have gotten better with the additions of Ogletree, McDonald, Witherspoon, etc and I am very excited to see how opposing defenses will handle the speed of Givens, Austin, Cook, Quick, Richardson, Pead, etc. This might not be the GSOT but I think they will score a lot of points!

Guy Mansworth

Rookie
I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be optimistic. A loss means absolutely nothing in preseason. They could go 0-4 and it wouldn't bother me. It's just about individual performances and I think everyone did a pretty good job.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The thing that sticks out to me when I see these Preseason games, is just how vanilla they are. What that proves to me, is how good this staff really is when they actually put a gameplan together, during the Regular Season games.

Yes, they have upgraded the talent in a short period of time, but it only shows that its still about scheme and execution. This staff is VERY experienced and it is exaggerated once they put all that experience into the detailed game plans together.

Ramathon

Depends on what you mean by 'overly optimistic'. If you were projecting the Rams to go 13-3 and in the SB, I might be inclined to think that's a bit over the top. Not impossible, but also not something I'd go to Vegas with a stack of Benjamins to put on the line.

Being a playoff contender I think is a very realistic possibility. Note I said contender, not that it's a lock. For all the talent they've acquired, much of it is still VERY young & raw. And while there are likely to be a number of highlight reel moments, there's almost certain to be a fair share of mistakes as well. Given that many games turn on a handful of plays, the ratio of highlight reel plays vs youthful mistakes will go a long way toward determining the Rams' fate this year.....IMO, of course.

While a lot of fans are talking about them having to get past the Seahawks and 49ers to get to the playoffs, I wouldn't totally discount Arizona. Just having a *competent* QB could very well make them 2-3 wins better this year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm guardedly optimistic.

My biggest reservation is that they are so young at WR and RB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
The thing that sticks out to me when I see these Preseason games, is just how vanilla they are. What that proves to me, is how good this staff really is when they actually put a gameplan together, during the Regular Season games.

Yes, they have upgraded the talent in a short period of time, but it only shows that its still about scheme and execution. This staff is VERY experienced and it is exaggerated once they put all that experience into the detailed game plans together.
Man, it really was (vanilla) too. After rewatching, it was like the Browns and Rams had two ENTIRELY different objectives going into the game, and through the entire 1st quarter. We didn't see any exotic defenses, very little motion and crossing patterns on offense, and guys that normally have their motors revved to 5000RPM kinda seemed like they were jogging.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ramathon trying to sneak in under the radar:
Depends on what you mean by 'overly optimistic'. If you were projecting the Rams to go 13-3 and in the SB, I might be inclined to think that's a bit over the top. Not impossible, but also not something I'd go to Vegas with a stack of Benjamins to put on the line.

Being a playoff contender I think is a very realistic possibility. Note I said contender, not that it's a lock. For all the talent they've acquired, much of it is still VERY young & raw. And while there are likely to be a number of highlight reel moments, there's almost certain to be a fair share of mistakes as well. Given that many games turn on a handful of plays, the ratio of highlight reel plays vs youthful mistakes will go a long way toward determining the Rams' fate this year.....IMO, of course.

While a lot of fans are talking about them having to get past the Seahawks and 49ers to get to the playoffs, I wouldn't totally discount Arizona. Just having a *competent* QB could very well make them 2-3 wins better this year.

Welcome the the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap:

Stop by the member map and let us know where you live. I promise I won't visit.

Unless you live in a state on one of the coasts with beaches of course. :lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramathon said:
Totally agree. And I'm hoping they ARE more competitive this year because they could steal a win or two away from SEA and SF and make the division a 4-way race. And yeah, I understand they could take one away from the Rams as well, but it's important to remember that Fisher built this team to compete in the division. Aside from that though, I think I'd enjoy it immensely if the entire NFCW was a power house for once. It would drive attention AWAY from the NFC East and dampen the media love-fest that has taken place over that division for years now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CoachO said:

Man, it really was (vanilla) too. After rewatching, it was like the Browns and Rams had two ENTIRELY different objectives going into the game, and through the entire 1st quarter. We didn't see any exotic defenses, very little motion and crossing patterns on offense, and guys that normally have their motors revved to 5000RPM kinda seemed like they were jogging.

Not to mention; we clearly kept Tavon Austin and Jared Cook under wraps. I don't think these coaches want to tip their hand just yet on how this offense will attack you.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
CoachO said:

Not to mention; we clearly kept Tavon Austin and Jared Cook under wraps. I don't think these coaches want to tip their hand just yet on how this offense will attack you.
You're probably right. Especially considering we open the season with a division game.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I am now overly optimistic, I WAS irrationally exuberant, but after the reality check of losing to Cleveland in a meaningless scrimmage game ,I have tempered my Polyandrous position to include the realization that we may only win 14 games ( before the playoffs of course).

BTW I want to welcome old friend BobCarl to the board ,been years good to be in a community witcha agin brah.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
mr.stlouis said:
I don't think 11-5 is overly optimistic :bg:

I think a 10-6 or 11-5 record is very achievable for the Rams this season. In fact, I will be disappointed if they don't get at least 10 wins and a playoff berth this season!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
paceram said:
mr.stlouis said:

I think a 10-6 or 11-5 record is very achievable for the Rams this season. In fact, I will be disappointed if they don't get at least 10 wins and a playoff berth this season!
I'll be disappointed too, but I seem to have built up a tolerance. :boohoo:

V3

Hall of Fame
max said:

Agree with you on the WR's but I think the RB's will be fine if the O-line does their job. Which leads me to my worries about the O-line. We are woefully thin on depth there and I still have my doubts about some of the starters.

F. Mulder

Starter
V3 said:
max said:

Agree with you on the WR's but I think the RB's will be fine if the O-line does their job. Which leads me to my worries about the O-line. We are woefully thin on depth there and I still have my doubts about some of the starters.

I agree. The OL is by far my biggest worry. Sure the young RBs and WRs will make mistakes but if the OL does its job the combination of Bradford and that talent should overcome a lot of it. If the OL cannot hold up it doesn't matter who they have at the offensive skill positions. Personally I'm REALLY anxious about the OL, its ability to hold up via injuries, and my perception of a lack of depth.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
F. Mulder joining the chorus:
I agree. The OL is by far my biggest worry. Sure the young RBs and WRs will make mistakes but if the OL does its job the combination of Bradford and that talent should overcome a lot of it. If the OL cannot hold up it doesn't matter who they have at the offensive skill positions. Personally I'm REALLY anxious about the OL, its ability to hold up via injuries, and my perception of a lack of depth.
There's a whole bunch of us singing that tune F.

Although I'm the only one singing in key. :lol:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Thordaddy said:
I am now overly optimistic, I WAS irrationally exuberant, but after the reality check of losing to Cleveland in a meaningless scrimmage game ,I have tempered my Polyandrous position to include the realization that we may only win 14 games ( before the playoffs of course).

BTW I want to welcome old friend BobCarl to the board ,been years good to be in a community witcha agin brah.

After a preseason game? Like against the Colts and Cowboys last year? The team wasn't supposed to do anything LAST year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
paceram said:
mr.stlouis said:

i believe 10 and 6 will be the floor for this team.