Our WR Group

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Id much rather have Watkins on this team than Givens... but thats just me
the problem with that statement, is its not Givens but Robinson that you would have to give up. And regardless of his "starting" status at the moment, I am not ready to make that trade.

Seems they knew what they were doing by passing up on another WR.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Lets not go overboard here....
It was good to get the victory yesterday, and the recievers looked OK...
Quick does seem to have caught on....

but this team is middle of the pack in reciveing yards. Is the only team with NO recieivng TDs so far, and honestly has not played anyone considered a playoff caliber team yet and is only averaging 12.5 points per game (yes only 2 games).

Do I like the progress shown yes...but lets be honest the WR corps is not scaring anyone at this point.

(Yes I realize it was our 3rd string QB out there)
I think you are mistaking STATS of the entire offense for the "production" of the WR unit, specifically Quick. Doubt this team, and system will ever be confused with Denver, New Orleans or Green Bay for passing numbers. But they have demonstrated even in the two games, that they can be productive.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I would trade Robinson for Watkins in a heart beat but I wanted to draft him over Robinson to begin with. Linemen are a dime a dozen but game changing wrs are hard to come by.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I would trade Robinson for Watkins in a heart beat but I wanted to draft him over Robinson to begin with. Linemen are a dime a dozen but game changing wrs are hard to come by.
a dime a dozen? oh ok!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Who is the starting right guard? A guy they picked up cheap, its much easier to get linemen than it is to get playmakers.

cracengl

Rookie
Who is the starting right guard? A guy they picked up cheap, its much easier to get linemen than it is to get playmakers.

If Robinson actually develops into the kind of player he has the potential to be (dominate LT) I don't think you can say that. Those guys are not easy to find and you can argue they have a greater impact (not flashy ESPN highlight impact, btw).

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Eh I still think they could have gotten the left tackle of the future in next years draft and taken the opportunity to get the playmaker. Cant change what happened but I still wish they would have taken Watkins.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Well, I like that our corps is very diverse and each guy brings something to the table...but we still only scored one TD. I'd like to see some more explosive plays out of our guys.

Man we just beat Tampa. Lets slow down on the kool aid.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Eh I still think they could have gotten the left tackle of the future in next years draft and taken the opportunity to get the playmaker. Cant change what happened but I still wish they would have taken Watkins.

There are a lot more 'playmakers' that come out in each draft class than there are offensive linemen with Greg Robinson's physical abilities and potential.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
We could argue back and fourth but that wont get us anywhere...

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I think you are mistaking STATS of the entire offense for the "production" of the WR unit, specifically Quick. Doubt this team, and system will ever be confused with Denver, New Orleans or Green Bay for passing numbers. But they have demonstrated even in the two games, that they can be productive.

No, I am not - they are 15th in recieving yard and last in TDs at 0 - the only group of recievers to not find the endzone yet this season. Those are reciever stats.

Yes, the points per game is an overall offensive stat - so that is not fully on the recievers.

I just do not think that 0 TDs can be considered productive (last in NFL).

Yes, I do like what quick has shown so far. But he has 0 TDs and has faced two weaker teams so far.

I do realize that it is with a 2nd and 3rd string QB. But the fact is that this team will not win many games if the recievers can't find the endzone - and that is only going to get tougher as the season progresses.

We won yesterday on the back of a solid defense and special teams. The recievers still need to pick up their game for this team to succeed this season (and they are not only ones).

RamEERS

Pastor
sigh.. i thought we were done with the Watkins talk after he got drafted... it's over.. quit beating the dead horse..
just wait till Steddy gets back... that's all I'm saying

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I love what Quick is doing. He's finally arrived. It's obvious our quarterbacks are looking for him first and he's making the plays. Would have loved to have seen him come down with that long pass, but he's caught everything else thrown his way. I love our receiving corps... especially when Bailey comes back. Great group of WR's and TE's in my opinion.... and that catch by Pettis yesterday.. wow - guy has some major cojones to go up and grab that. And Davis has some major cojones to throw it in there.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Good thread. Our WR corps has been such a weakness for a long time, but now I don't feel that it's a weakness anymore. Sure, there are a number of better groups in the NFL, but ours is showing marked improvement. And that's before Bailey comes back ... we already know he can get it done.

Man I wish we had a healthy Sam right now ...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No, I am not - they are 15th in recieving yard and last in TDs at 0 - the only group of recievers to not find the endzone yet this season. Those are reciever stats.

Yes, the points per game is an overall offensive stat - so that is not fully on the recievers.

I just do not think that 0 TDs can be considered productive (last in NFL).

Yes, I do like what quick has shown so far. But he has 0 TDs and has faced two weaker teams so far.

I do realize that it is with a 2nd and 3rd string QB. But the fact is that this team will not win many games if the recievers can't find the endzone - and that is only going to get tougher as the season progresses.

We won yesterday on the back of a solid defense and special teams. The recievers still need to pick up their game for this team to succeed this season (and they are not only ones).
I get the zero TDs, but my question is, how is that an indictment on the WRs, and not the offense as a whole? Last week was a total collapse by a rookie 3rd string QB, and the prior to that the penalty debacle. The WRs are only as good as the guy getting them the ball.

As to yesterday, its not like they were even in a position to score, let alone a TD pass. As as far as being 15th in the league in yardage. I couldn't care less. yardage is a direct reflection of the system. And how often (infrequently) they throw the ball.

Ramatik

Starter

Wow.

Really?

The big splashy players flash and get everybody all giddy. They come and they go. Sometimes over a whole season. But Watkins for a starting LT? No way. And I'm not sure he is really going to be all that anyway.

Build in the trenches.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Dang @tahoe and @drasconis. Are you guys just bound and determined to be depressed or what?

Nope - got to love the special teams yesterday - have to be the envy of the league there. Love our pass rush, love that Quinn is locked up. I like what Quick is showing (not ready to annoint him yet though).

I just am not going to be over excited about a mediocre win. (Not going to be Miss. getting excited cause we beat a Kentucky or Vandy for example - and act like that puts us in the league of Bama...maybe bad example...but the one that comes to mind). I will take the win, glad we won it, just not going to get over excited about it.

Coach I get what you are saying...but at the end of the day this team is not scoring TDs and that is partially on the players (all of them on O). Sometimes when we talk about the offense I feel like we walk into room full of people and ask who is responsible and we get everyone pointing fingers at everyone else. At some point I quit caring why it isn't happening so much as that I care that it isn't happening.

Back to the point, I am still worried about the WR, the growth of quick has lessened that a bit, but overall I still have my concerns that this is a below average group of recievers. (when will they quit being a concern - as a group when I feel they are better than half the recieving corps out there, individually when each is better than 1/2 the guys at their same rank in the league (i.e. wr1 v wr1, wr 2 v wr2, etc.).

BTW regarding TA - that was was a painful play yesterday, and I know some have said he is undersized....but noone is not feeling that hit....period....a person just isn't supposed to bend like that.....