Our defense is amazing...can we keep it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well they gave up 21.5 in the last 2 weeks, 23 to an 0-13 team that had been averaging 12.4 points per game in Sam Darnold's 9 starts prior. That's not elite

We can take any two game sample size and say it means something.

Last year the Patriots gave up 44 points in their last two games to the Bills and Dolphins - both mediocre offenses last season. They were elite last year despite this.

This doesn't even mention that 6 of the points against the Jets came off of an INT and blocked punt where they started at our 27 and 22 yard lines.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chicken or the egg . Are offenses better or defenses worse?

Yards per play is an interesting metric to hang your hat on. We have bad lbs maybe that has something to do with it as our secondary is much better

Yards and more specifically yards per play is the best indicator for how successful a teams offense or defense is performing.

Mostly for this very conversation. A teams offense can turn the ball over so much that they can have 20-30 points scored against them pretty easily - both the Dolphins and Cardinals did it to us this year - among others. Eagles, Cardinals, Dolphins, Bears, Niners - all featured either a defensive/ST TD allowed or a turnover that resulted in a 10 yard TD drive. That's 7 TDs, or 49 points. Throw in the 6 points the Jets got from FG range, the Giants got one and the Bucs as well. So that's 61 points allowed that are a direct result of turnovers by either the offense or special teams.

Now, what you've said is that other teams can have this too - fair point. I really doubt any other teams offense/special teams have combined to allow 61 points, but I can't for sure say that. This is also me not blaming the defense at all for a 10 yard TD drive which some might disagree with.

What I can say is that this is why yards per play is a better measuring stick. And again, incredibly impressive for the Rams to be better than any team the past few years when offenses have been even better this year.

By the same token if a team allows a team to get into FG range every drive but the kicker misses a FG, did the defense play well? Probably not when the coaches break down the film and see missed tackles and blown assignments - but the defense technically wouldn't have allowed any points, even though the kicker left 21 points on the field in missed kicks.

I'm sure it does have something to do with an elite secondary, but keep in mind that we've seen Rams defenses surrender 5 yards per rush for an entire season - this one is giving up 4.6 yards per play. That's a testament to everyone on defense.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it not titled "Our defense is amazing.."? Seems like you are only looking for a certain response, not a discussion
So you didn’t actually read the original post.

Maybe you should.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
He did quickly use the word elite after I disagreed with the amazing assessment. One would only have disregard their 2020 league rankings because their statistics are frankly not amazing in almost any other year besides 2020 (Which again perhaps is based off of the fact the got less preparation due to covid?) but thats fine if your eyeballs tell you they are amazing and I dont disagree entirely as I have seen some amazing plays as well but frankly the 2020 Rams D is a just good to very good not special.
No, I responded to your (mis)use of the word “elite.” Then it became “historically elite.”

Never seen anyone work so hard to downplay the success of a Rams unit. You guys are ridiculous.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can take any two game sample size and say it means something.

Last year the Patriots gave up 44 points in their last two games to the Bills and Dolphins - both mediocre offenses last season. They were elite last year despite this.

This doesn't even mention that 6 of the points against the Jets came off of an INT and blocked punt where they started at our 27 and 22 yard lines.
So the last 2 games are just any 2 games? Good to know. Here I thought the Rams lost them and now may not make the playoffs.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Maybe you should understand what a discussion is.
You apparently believe it means redirecting a topic to tangential issues and ignoring the question posed by the original post (notwithstanding the fact that you apparently agree with the basic premise of the thread).

Good luck with all that.:rolleyes:

My bad for feeding you trolls. I’ll stop now. You two can continue your semantic circle jerk to your hearts’ content.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the last 2 games are just any 2 games? Good to know. Here I thought the Rams lost them and now may not make the playoffs.

It's just a two game stretch - using it to say a player or unit or team is or isn't elite is a terrible idea because there are countless examples that contradict that argument. Like the Patriots one that I gave.

On the flip side I remember a Jeff Fisher led defense that gave up 0 points in two games, yet they were an average defense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's just a two game stretch - using it to say a player or unit or team is or isn't elite is a terrible idea because there are countless examples that contradict that argument. Like the Patriots one that I gave.

On the flip side I remember a Jeff Fisher led defense that gave up 0 points in two games, yet they were an average defense.
So the Superbowl is just 1 game?
This is one of the silliest responses I've seen.
The most detrimental 2 game stretch of the season, but hey, it's only a 2 game stretch!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I responded to your (mis)use of the word “elite.” Then it became “historically elite.”

Never seen anyone work so hard to downplay the success of a Rams unit. You guys are ridiculous.
You can’t even commit to your own words let alone your opinion LMAO. Are you done responding to the “bull shit” and “nonsense” or not? I wasn’t even talking to you. My OP In here was just why I thought the defense was very good not amazing. That’s it. Get over yourself dude

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holy shit, you guys are talking past each other.

Elite this year. Yes, by default the best D in the league is Elite that season. Which is, by the way the season they are playing in.

Historically elite is a different thing. No they are not, and I don't think anyone is arguing that they are historically elite.

1609258609994.png

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Who cares if our defense is historically great or not? So long as they can keep playing at their level and win us a Super Bowl, that's all I really care about.

MolaRam

UDFA
Yes, past is past, but this D gave up a clock eating touchdown drive at the end of a game to a division rival with said division title on the line, with serious playoff implications.
As close to a playoff game w/o being one.
Dont care what the stats say vs other teams, thats not quite elite. A truely elite D would have got the ball back to the offense (punt or turnover).
Whether the offense does anything with that doesnt matter.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly, past is the past. Looking forward to our defense playing amazing this Sunday!

It was more of a agree to disagree. Very unfortunate that someone would try to belittle the best Rams defense of most of our lifetimes, but it is what it is.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was more of a agree to disagree. Very unfortunate that someone would try to belittle the best Rams defense of most of our lifetimes, but it is what it is.
What an ignorant response. Why I would have expected any different is my bad.
Saying that the defense is the best we’ve had in 20 years is somehow belittling? Good grief

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What an ignorant response. Why I would have expected any different is my bad.
Saying that the defense is the best we’ve had in 20 years is somehow belittling? Good grief

Arguing about the usage of the word elite here is belittling, yes. I've never once seen a fan dispute the use of the word elite when a player or unit was the best in the NFL. It's odd.

Your two game sample size comment was flat out a terrible example. The Denver Broncos had the best offensive season ever and lost the Super Bowl 43-8 - their offense was still "elite". Your arguments are terrible and you cannot accept being wrong, which is a sign that I should never respond to you, so that's on me.

Calling a response ignorant and authoring the opinion that a defense can't be elite because of two games where they were slightly worse than their season averages, with one game coming against the worst offense and one coming against the best is...well ignorant.

So once again, feel free to stop responding to me. I'll do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.