Our defense is amazing...can we keep it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The Rams' defense is ranked #1 in the NFL. They have truly played great football this year.

Can we keep this going next year? Here's an early look:

Defensive Line
Signed for 2021: Aaron Donald, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Michael Brockers, A'Shawn Robinson, Greg Gaines, Justin Hollins
Free Agents: Morgan Fox (UFA)
We're in great shape here. Almost all the pieces are locked in, and Fox could likely be had for a reasonable price (or replaced by a rookie, if need be).

Linebackers
Signed for 2021: Micah Kiser, Troy Reeder, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Terrell Lewis, Kenny Young
Free Agents: Leonard Floyd (UFA), Samson Ebukam (UFA), Derek Rivers (UFA)
Leonard Floyd is the key here. I'd really like to have him back, but I'm sure he can get more than the $10M we're currently paying him on a 1 year deal on the open market. Perhaps he'll recognize the benefit of continuing his career with Aaron Donald opening things up for him (he's already achieved career highs in tackles, sacks, tackles for loss and QB hits) and sign a friendly deal. If not, I suppose there are others who could thrive with Donald in front of them. Heck, if they could stay healthy, maybe Obo and Lewis are those guys.

Defensive Backfield
Signed for 2021: Jalen Ramsey, David Long, Jordan Fuller, Taylor Rapp, Terrell Burgess, Nick Scott
Free Agents: Troy Hill (UFA), Darious Williams (RFA), John Johnson (UFA)
Re-signing (or, at least, giving a high tender offer to) Darious Williams is a no-brainer. Hill likely departs. That leaves Johnson as the question mark. I really want him back, but he could be too pricey. If the Rams have enough confidence in Fuller, Rapp and Burgess filling the role (or their ability to find another Fuller in the draft), perhaps this is a necessary cut.

In all, I think we're in pretty good shape. We're in a position to bring back at least 8 starters (if you count Ebukam as a starter) and most of the key rotation players (Hill being the most significant loss). Hopefully, we'll keep Brandon Staley too, and the 2021 defense will continue to be a strength of the team.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Defense is really good not amazing. LBs need upgrades as well as on the edges other than floyd. Our secondary is elite and aaron donald is elite. the rest of the success imo is a byproduct of those two things.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not really worried about D. They can find players with roles. With the exception of the obvious, if any of the players leave there won't be any major drop-off with the replacements.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Defense is really good not amazing. LBs need upgrades as well as on the edges other than floyd. Our secondary is elite and aaron donald is elite. the rest of the success imo is a byproduct of those two things.
Yards: 1st
Rushing yards: 3rd
Passing yards: 1st
Yards/rushing attempt: 3rd
Opponent passer rating: 2nd
Sacks: 2nd
Takeaways: 9th

You’re a tough critic.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not really worried about D. They can find players with roles. With the exception of the obvious, if any of the players leave there won't be any major drop-off with the replacements.

I hope you are right. We could be losing three major pieces. Hopefully they can be talked into taking short one year team friendly deals until next year or that the league and players Union can agree on a way to extend contracts until next year when there is more money.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I hope you are right. We could be losing three major pieces. Hopefully they can be talked into taking short one year team friendly deals until next year or that the league and players Union can agree on a way to extend contracts until next year when there is more money.
If there is less cap money out there, I wonder if we may see more one year deals or franchise tag usage.

Tagging JJ (safety has a relatively low tender amount - about $11M this year) could be an option.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I don't care about money. They found players this year and in the past that were castoffs and turned into good players with established roles. They can do it again. I'm not really missing Dante Fowler this year are you?

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

There's a synergy that makes it as good as it is.

My off-season wishlist is fairly short and almost exclusively aimed at the offense. Keep this defense together (meaning Staley too) and get help on O and we're force to be reckoned with in '21.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yards: 1st
Rushing yards: 3rd
Passing yards: 1st
Yards/rushing attempt: 3rd
Opponent passer rating: 2nd
Sacks: 2nd
Takeaways: 9th

You’re a tough critic.
I’m not sure what the point of posting the NFL rankings was doesn’t make our defense elite. The NFL is trending towards an almost exclusively offensive league someone’s gotta be ranked first in categories though. I already stated they are very good. But truly elite defenses don’t allow SFs 3rd string qb to drive the length of the field twice in the 4th to give up the lead and lose the game. Nor do they allow the Jets multiple 10-12 play 7+ minute drives at crucial moments and than run the clock out on them. And what about the multiple 3rd and forevers they gave up to lose the Buffalo game? Truly elite defenses don’t do that with the game on the line ESPECIALLY to significantly inferior competition like 0-13 teams or 3rd string qbs. Like I said, they are very good, they are the strength of our team and miles ahead of the O. But that’s all they are...very good.

Are you happy with our non Floyd edge rushers and lbers? I guess what I’m saying is don’t overvalue the pieces not named Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey. I mean Fowler seemed like a must keep but take away the Donald effect and he has 2 sacks this year.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
our defense is good enough to win in the playoffs.

They are not without fault however... a few times we were playing soft in coverage on 3rd down that killed us yet again. Twice we let metcalf catch the ball 5 yards down the field with no one around him and make an easy 1st down - just can't do that.

however when we did go man on 3rd down they scored a TD....

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The bad part about questions looming about Goff is now they will likely not restructure his contract to allow them to maybe keep one of those FAs.

Looking at OTC, they can get out of his deal after next season and actually save $1.7M in cap room. Still eat $30M in dead money, but won't take an additional hit.

Thus they won't add to that dead money hit with a restructure and then a signing of JJ or Floyd.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There is a big difference between Fowler and Floyd. Floyd has set a plus strong side edge and brought the heat. He plays a complete edge game.

If he leaves I don't know that the Rams will be able to replace him. Also it will leave our edge group in a poor state without a ton of draft capital as well as other roster shortfalls.

Rams are going to lock him up. IMO.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I’m not sure what the point of posting the NFL rankings was doesn’t make our defense elite. The NFL is trending towards an almost exclusively offensive league someone’s gotta be ranked first in categories though.
Actually, for 2020, those rankings make the Rams’ D elite by definition. The fact that they are performing at such a high level in an offensive minded league only adds to that.
I already stated they are very good. But truly elite defenses don’t allow SFs 3rd string qb to drive the length of the field twice in the 4th to give up the lead and lose the game. Nor do they allow the Jets multiple 10-12 play 7+ minute drives at crucial moments and than run the clock out on them. And what about the multiple 3rd and forevers they gave up to lose the Buffalo game? Truly elite defenses don’t do that with the game on the line ESPECIALLY to significantly inferior competition like 0-13 teams or 3rd string qbs. Like I said, they are very good, they are the strength of our team and miles ahead of the O. But that’s all they are...very good.
You seem to equate “elite” and “perfect” (or something close to it). That’s not what elite means.

Are you happy with our non Floyd edge rushers and lbers? I guess what I’m saying is don’t overvalue the pieces not named Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey. I mean Fowler seemed like a must keep but take away the Donald effect and he has 2 sacks this year.
The fact that we arguably have two of the top 10 defense players in football is a big reason why the defense is so good. That’s why I believe we can weather a bit of transition in the supporting cast.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, for 2020, those rankings make the Rams’ D elite by definition. The fact that they are performing at such a high level in an offensive minded league only adds to that.
Well, not really. To @NJRamsFan point, there's always going to be #1,2,3 ranking. But compared to what? Sure they're #3 in ppg allowed, but they are still allowing almost 20 ppg. That would be T7th last season.
Elite D? Nah... They've lost 6 games, 2 of which the D gave up the lead late, in another 2 losses they were 1 score games where the defense gave up multiple 1st downs thus not giving the Rams a final chance.
Elite? Heck no. Clearly better than they've been in a long time, and far better than the offense, but not elite by any means.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Well, not really. To @NJRamsFan point, there's always going to be #1,2,3 ranking. But compared to what? Sure they're #3 in ppg allowed, but they are still allowing almost 20 ppg. That would be T7th last season.
Elite D? Nah... They've lost 6 games, 2 of which the D gave up the lead late, in another 2 losses they were 1 score games where the defense gave up multiple 1st downs thus not giving the Rams a final chance.
Elite? Heck no. Clearly better than they've been in a long time, and far better than the offense, but not elite by any means.

Historically 'elite?' No, not really. Though the stretch of second-half scoring they had mid-season was damn good but not record-setting.

But this season, I'll take them over just about any other squad. Which is what pisses me off to no end about the offense...they've pissed away a championship-caliber season from the D. Those don't come around often...can't piss 'em away with bad play-calling and inconsistent play from the offense.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Just no. That “definition” assumes that someone HAS to be elite when in reality it’s quite possible no one is elite. Is Kyle Juszczyk elite because he ranks in the top fullbacks? By your definition he must be. Is in comparison the only box that must be checked off on your list in order to be elite?

Performing so well in an offensive league how? We won’t even be top 40 all time in sacks (I stoped at 40 bc I got tired of counting it might even be further) won’t be near the top of takeaways points allowed or any measurable statistic. So this defense we have now while good, and comparatively to current defenses could be considered “elite” is beyond forgettable in the grand scheme of NFL defenses that I would consider elite.

You seem to equate “elite” and “perfect” (or something close to it). That’s not what elite means.
Well first you quoted the word perfect and adapted it to my definition despite the fact that I did not use it. No player or unit in the NFL has ever been perfect and the fact that needed to be stated to counter your argument is confusing. Again if you’re going to use a strict textbook definition and say anyone in the upper rankings in comparison to their peers is elite, sure that’s fine and you can make that argument if you’d like but I fail to see how it makes our defense special. If only 1 RB in the NFL ram for 1k yds in a given season is he elite? I guess strictly technically speaking he would be but who cares in that context ?

The fact that we arguably have two of the top 10 defense players in football is a big reason why the defense is so good. That’s why I believe we can weather a bit of transition in the supporting cast.
The fact that we have two of the top 10 players...actually fuck that I’ll say it we have the best defensive player to ever suit up and another top 10 player masks the deficiencies of this defense such as anything else noteworthy on the d line or even a borderline middle of the pack lb.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Yes, really.

In 1960, 3,000 yards and 25 TDs made a QB elite.

In 2020, a defense with the Rams’ numbers is elite.

I never said they are the 85 Bears.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Basically exactly this +1

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Who cares about historically elite. We don't play those historical teams. All we can be is the best this year, which I say we are on defense. The team that wins the superbowl can be the worst team in history to win a superbowl, yet they would still be superbowl champions.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
It’s hard to believe I have to defend calling the defense “amazing.”

Status
Not open for further replies.