OTA's Offensive Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
His injury had everything to do with getting tangled up with someone rather than sand. Sand is a fantastic way to limit the impact on the limbs, strengthen your lower body, and increase cardio....soft sand that is. This isn't to say injuries can't happen, but sand is not known to be a knee killer....played beach volleyball for a few years at Huntington Beach pier in SoCal...that soft sand was fantastic...hot on the feet at first, but what a workout.
Yeah - I played beach volleyball for years. Never bothered my knees but I sure had some hops back then.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
"Although they offer softer surfaces, running on sand or grass may actually increase the risk of injuries in runners. Although softer than pavement, sports medicine experts report more sprains, strains and even tendonitis from running on uneven and inconsistent surfaces like the beach or grass. Because each step creates varying pressures and forces in the feet, ankles, knees and hips runners most constantly adjust to the surface. Not everyone has the skill or ability to do that easily.

These natural surfaces also tend to slope, and this also creates a dangerous off-center force on the ankles and feet. Over time, running on uneven surfaces can result in tendonitis, inflammation of joints and tendons and even fractures."
Yeah - I don't think they are running on uneven surfaces or slopes. It's not like these guys are jogging on a beach somewhere. And I used to run on the beach all the time. If you are running up off the surf, the surface is very uneven and could possibly result in what you are referring to. Down near the surf, the surface is generally as flat as can be. Regardless, I think they are doing it for the lack of impact on the joints and the give that sand provides. It looked like the surface was pretty well manicured.