OT: Hard Knocks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Oh - my prediction for the Rams this year is 13 wins if none of the key rams are out for any length of time.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah but I could be just as wrong too lol
No ... No ... NO!!! ... ok, yeah ... maybe.

I don't see the Lions as a playoff team. However, if Tano and Night-Train think otherwise ... well then ... Nah, still don't see it.

Tano

Legend
I think that entire Detroit staff is solid. I like the playing experience too. Only question I'd have is how will his coordinators fare straight up vs some of the best in the playoffs. Will they give a little up schematically. But they have a unified message on what the team's identity is, and all that comes from Campbell.

Campbell's just a bit goofy. But all the best leaders have one thing in common and that's being themselves in that leadership position. Not trying to be someone else. Sounds really simple but you'd be surprised how many new leaders try to reinvent themselves in ways that don't work for them. Glenn mentions that too, which honestly just tells me it's a grounded group who at the very least have that shit locked down.

They have a lot of good pieces on the roster too. Offensive roster looks solid to me and they should be strong up front. The Parcells tree is one that I've always respected, because they tend to prioritize physicality which plays very well in the playoffs. Does identity match with their roster on offense... Yeah I think it does. Goff needs to make that big step as the leader of the group on the field and play well and it should come together.

Anyway I think that is one of the better first episodes I've seen of Hard Knocks. They probably don't have enough on defense this season but you have hard coaching going on and players with full buy in which are good signs for them.
Yeah it is the defense that has me stating they will probably only get 7 wins. If they can get a semblance of good play from their young guys, they can make the playoffs.

Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers and who?
Chicago - pfft
Minnesota - I am still waiting for Kurt to win close games

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Campbell Reminds me of Bill Cowher.
Yeah interesting comp there dang. I agree there's some similarities.

In the end only one thing matters: do the players buy his message. And how will he respond when they hit those rough patches. That's one thing I've really appreciated about McVay, is the way he can remake himself and the team a bit midseason. He did it in 2018 when they hit that lull where teams were hitting them in the mouth, and again in 2021. I definitely like Campbell though. I think he's genuine and that's a lot of the equation for me.

Ellard80

Legend
I watched the episode - it was very entertaining.

Not sure what to make out of how they do things.

Half of me thinks its fresh and real the other half of me thinks it looks like amateur hour.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
I watched the episode - it was very entertaining.

Not sure what to make out of how they do things.

Half of me thinks its fresh and real the other half of me thinks it looks like amateur hour.

"I dont care if you have ONE ass cheek???" Maybe Campbell is a little off???

swmizzou83

Starter
I would like to see hard knocks follow a good team for once like the bills who have came up just short the last few years

Tano

Legend
Is it because they are not allowed to follow teams that were in the playoffs the previous year.

I heard something to that effect.

Or am I completely wrong?

MachS

Hall of Fame
I should also add that in 2017, I kept telling everyone that the Rams would win 9 games that year and everyone said I was full of shit.
McVay is a genius man and Campbell is not. Comparing those two teams is crazy given McVay brought a revolutionary system that turned the #32 offense to #1. Thats the only time ever a team has gone from last to first in scoring. Plus Wade is likely a future HOF coach and DC. Their ex-player coaches have a lot to prove. Just because you played in the league doesn't mean you can coach, and a lot of the time players make horrible coaches. Watching their OC and DC scream at each other was comical and watching Campbell do up downs with the team seemed forced for show. They have some talent on offense yes, but a lot of holes on defense and an inconsistent QB. If they make it to .500 it will be a very successful season for them but no chance in hell they're making the playoffs.

Tano

Legend
McVay is a genius man and Campbell is not. Comparing those two teams is crazy given McVay brought a revolutionary system that turned the #32 offense to #1. Thats the only time ever a team has gone from last to first in scoring. Plus Wade is likely a future HOF coach and DC. Their ex-player coaches have a lot to prove. Just because you played doesn't mean you can coach, and a lot of the time players make horrible coaches. Watching their OC and DC scream at each other was comical and watching Campbell do up downs with the team seemed forced for show. They have some talent on offense yes, but a lot of holes on defense and an inconsistent QB. If they make it to .500 it will be a very successful season for them but no chance in hell they're making the playoffs.
Oh I agree that McVay is a genius and Campbell is not but every coaching style is different and I can see players playing hard for Campbell and you never know. The defense does worry me so that is why I was predicting 7 wins and not 9 wins like I did with the Rams in 2017. Goff is inconsistent but I could see him being on for around 10 games against the weaker teams and maybe one of the Vikings/Packers games. So it still wouldn't surprise me if the Lions won 9 games and possible playoffs because I do not like that division this year.

Green Bay is not going to be as good as years past. Chicago is possibly one of the worst teams in the league right now and I just can't get on board the Kirk Cousins train since he has never shown that he can win close games.

Weak Teams (imho)

Bears - 2 times
Commodes
Seasquawks
Dolphins (Tua? - pfft) And Goff probably wants to show what he can do against them since that was probably his stupidest performance in a game
Giants
Jaguars
Jets
Panthers

Not Weak but not especially strong

Packers
Vikings
Eagles (just not that impressed with Hurst)

Decent Team

Patriots

Hard team
Bills

I could see 9 wins with that schedule (not predicting it but wouldn't surprise me)

Tano

Legend
Oh I agree that McVay is a genius and Campbell is not but every coaching style is different and I can see players playing hard for Campbell and you never know. The defense does worry me so that is why I was predicting 7 wins and not 9 wins like I did with the Rams in 2017. Goff is inconsistent but I could see him being on for around 10 games against the weaker teams and maybe one of the Vikings/Packers games. So it still wouldn't surprise me if the Lions won 9 games and possible playoffs because I do not like that division this year.

Green Bay is not going to be as good as years past. Chicago is possibly one of the worst teams in the league right now and I just can't get on board the Kirk Cousins train since he has never shown that he can win close games.

Weak Teams (imho)

Bears - 2 times
Commodes
Seasquawks
Dolphins (Tua? - pfft) And Goff probably wants to show what he can do against them since that was probably his stupidest performance in a game
Giants
Jaguars
Jets
Panthers

Not Weak but not especially strong

Packers
Vikings
Eagles (just not that impressed with Hurst)

Decent Team

Patriots

Hard team
Bills

I could see 9 wins with that schedule (not predicting it but wouldn't surprise me)
I probably should state that after reviewing the Packers that they might be better than I thought because of their defense. But I can see low scoring games with them even with Aaron.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah interesting comp there dang. I agree there's some similarities.

In the end only one thing matters: do the players buy his message. And how will he respond when they hit those rough patches. That's one thing I've really appreciated about McVay, is the way he can remake himself and the team a bit midseason. He did it in 2018 when they hit that lull where teams were hitting them in the mouth, and again in 2021. I definitely like Campbell though. I think he's genuine and that's a lot of the equation for me.

Just to make a point. Campbell also did this last season when the offense just couldn't get it going. He took over play calling and eventually replaced the coordinator with Ben Johnson who honestly I think is a young up and comer coach. And as someone who watched the Lions play the offense definitely opened up a bit more.

Another anecdote I will add is from that really good ESPN article on Mcvay and it only slightly mentioned it but Mcvay feeling like maybe he fell into a place and ended up coaching Goff too hard and crushing his confidence. If Goff can get back that confidence behind a good oline and run game with promising weapons.

But there is no doubt we as Rams fans as so damn lucky to have Mcvay as coach and I think much of the league is envious of the gem he is as a coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just to make a point. Campbell also did this last season when the offense just couldn't get it going. He took over play calling and eventually replaced the coordinator with Ben Johnson who honestly I think is a young up and comer coach. And as someone who watched the Lions play the offense definitely opened up a bit more.

Another anecdote I will add is from that really good ESPN article on Mcvay and it only slightly mentioned it but Mcvay feeling like maybe he fell into a place and ended up coaching Goff too hard and crushing his confidence. If Goff can get back that confidence behind a good oline and run game with promising weapons.

But there is no doubt we as Rams fans as so damn lucky to have Mcvay as coach and I think much of the league is envious of the gem he is as a coach.
Yeah I realize that AJ. And btw I don't think that it's that Campbell "did this" though. That's why I like him. It's who he is. He's a coach the players are going to resonate with in an era where it's mostly cerebral coordinators running teams. Said the same thing right out the gate when the media was running with that kneecap biting BS. People were painting him as a clown day one but I don't think he's a clown. I think he's a good leader with his own style.

So I find it fascinating. They're not the only team led that way. I think Tennessee is similar with Vrabel, Pittsburgh with Tomlin, etc. Guys who are throwbacks with respect for power football. I mean the way they run that camp, guys playing to the ground and through the whistle, it's gonna be interesting to see how they do and whether they get killed by injuries. And in the interim we're set for an epic season of HK.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Week one will be interesting. Fans in Philly are worried because they are running a very soft camp...no tackling, short practices, they are very concerned with injuries.

Now after watching Hard Knocks and seeing how physical the Lion's camp is, fans are freaking out a bit.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I am putting it at 50 50 to make the playoffs
kristen-bell-nah (1).gif