OT: Bucs fire Lovie Smith after 2 seasons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Talked to my friend who's a Bucs fan. She was very happy that they fired him. She felt that the team was undisciplined and he showed no emotion.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Tampa Bay players are pissed. Especially Lavonte David.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Whoa. Their OC Dirk Koetter is a bright mind as well. Might be worth talking to him about an OC job.

The speculation is that this is a Martz/Vermeil situation. They do not want to lose Koetter so they said good bye to Lovie. Koetter is expected to announced as the Head coach soon.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Not everyone is doing it but is Fisher bashing necessary in this thread?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clearly its Jameis Winston fault.
Oh wait, that was last year's theme. Nevermind...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lovie must not be getting along with ownership and senior leaders.

You just don't dump a proven HC after 2 seasons.

Strange situation there in Tampa.

MountainRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Martz is available, Lovie is available, bring the gsot coaches back. Think of the support local St Louisians will give to that thought. It's giving me chills

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say this much, you have a defensive minded HC in Lovie Smith, a quality DC in Leslie Frazier and the defense is still ranked as one of the worst in the league? Yeah, that's not good.
I like Lovie as much as the next guy but the defense appeared to have gotten worse after Schiano got axed

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He basically gave Mark Barron away because he didn't fit the cover-2 Lovie runs.

That's the big downside turning over HC's.

Buffalo is going to cut Mario Williams for the same reason... A player not fitting what Rex Ryan does on defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Someday Lovie will get a real shot to build his team and when that happens everyone will know what a great coach he is.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Buffalo is going to cut Mario Williams for the same reason... A player not fitting what Rex Ryan does on defense.

Agreed on Mario Williams. The dude tanked, but he was not a great fit for what they were doing and might bounce back very big for some lucky team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not everyone is doing it but is Fisher bashing necessary in this thread?
I think only my 12 year old niece chimes in with the same useless comment more than Fisher critics. I don't want him here more than anybody else but pissing and moaning about him in every thread is ridiculous.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kinda unexpected, but not shocking. I felt Tampa & Tennessee had enough to win this season. And they both proved it from time to time. Just not enough. Lovie will probably never HC again because of this....damn shame.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Tampon will be paying 3 Head Coaches next yr...

1. Greg Schiano

2. Lovie (he's got more than 1 yr left)

3. Their new HC (their current OC is the guy according to all the local sports shows here)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The insanely awkward situation includes the need to comply with the Rooney rule, if in fact they plan to promote the OC.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/07/leslie-frazier-out-in-tampa-as-well/

Leslie Frazier out in Tampa as well
Posted by Josh Alper on January 7, 2016

456895085-e1452183026411.jpg
Getty Images

Wednesday night’s announcement that the Buccaneers fired head coach Lovie Smith means that there are going to be a lot more changes to the coaching staff in Tampa before the start of next season.

Those changes have started. PFT has confirmed that defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier will not return to the team for the 2016 season. Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune reports that cornerbacks coach Gill Byrd and safeties coach Mikal Smith have also been informed that they will not be retained for another year on the team’s staff.

None of the moves are surprising in the wake of Wednesday’s decision, which appears to have been at least partially driven by a desire to bump offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter up to the head coaching position rather than lose him to another team willing to give him that promotion.

Frazier had some of his responsibilities taken away by Smith this season and the change in head coaches will almost certainly lead to a change of schemes on that side of the ball in Tampa. Byrd was a longtime Smith assistant and Mikal Smith is Lovie’s son, which probably doesn’t bode well for defensive quality control coach Miles Smith’s long-term outlook with the team.