OT: Bucs fire Lovie Smith after 2 seasons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MountainRam

Rookie
Shocker.

But Fisher continues to be employed.

I guess my Rams standards are low.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
WOW!!! WTF??? He had those guys going in the right direction ... he must've had an affair with the owner's wife or something, as this doesn't seem justified at all.

Edit: Thinking the Glazers must be jealous of the Browns and want to become Cleveland South. This is just insane and a complete overreaction.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whoa. Their OC Dirk Koetter is a bright mind as well. Might be worth talking to him about an OC job.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I thought they were improving. Especially offensively. Seemed to click with Winston and Koetter.

Very harsh in my opinion and could set them back.

They were pretty bad defensively though and Lovies supposed to be a defense first guy. Even so...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like Koetter was getting attention for HC jobs and Tampa wanted to keep him.

MrMotes

Starter
Maybe they fired Lovie to make Dirk Koetter the new HC?

Smith was 8-24 after all, that's kind of crappy...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Never know. If Koetter doesn't get a HC gig he'd be a great addition at OC.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Holy hell! That's crazy! What are they thinking? That is incredibly harsh.

Sacking Lovie after the improvement they made this year over last and the impact it might have on Winston's development is insane.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Whoa. Their OC Dirk Koetter is a bright mind as well. Might be worth talking to him about an OC job.
From what i'm hearing the Bucs may promote Koetter to HC, and fired Lovie so he(Koetter) wouldn't get lured away in the offseason.
I agree that Koetter is a bright and productive offensive mind...but he doesn't do well dealing with the media and people in general. This goes back to his days at Arizona State.

I was surprised to hear the news. I think it could turn out to be a mistake. We'll see.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Maybe they fired Lovie to make Dirk Koetter the new HC?

Smith was 8-24 after all, that's kind of crappy...
Didn't see your post before i commented. I think you're onto something and that's what i'm hearing being thrown around.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what i'm hearing the Bucs may promote Koetter to HC, and fired Lovie so he(Koetter) wouldn't get lured away in the offseason.
I agree that Koetter is a bright and productive offensive mind...but he doesn't do well dealing with the media and people in general. This goes back to his days at Arizona State.

I was surprised to hear the news. I think it could turn out to be a mistake. We'll see.

Yea. I was surprised by them wanting to make him HC after his mediocre run at Arizona State.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Bit of a shock this AM - I liked what Smith was doing but as @RaminExile said, he's supposed to be a defence first guy, and that's not worked out - his record isn't that great either - still I think they were improving.

I would have given him the 2 year developmental grace then a '3rd prove it' year, but, there we go. We also have to think, its not just about playing football, maybe he didn't fit with the rest of the caches and player / staff - sometimes its just personalities - or he's been interested by another vacant HC position and they're cutting him because of lack of commitment - or as @thirteen28 said - he's humping the owners wife :p