OT: Bucs fire Lovie Smith after 2 seasons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sounds like the same move the Rams made. when they pushed Vermeil out, so they could keep, and promote M.M.!

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
This is all about James Winston and offensive continuity. That's why offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter has been bumped up to the Tampa Bay head coach position. If not, another NFL team would snap up Dirk Koetter, and WHAM- O

James Winston has to start all over in a new offensive system. How many offensive systems has Sam Bradford endured?

As you guys well know, 2015 was a Pass-Breaking-Record year. Modern football is all about the Quarterback position. It's becoming increasing clear, (If you're smart) you don't change your offensive system often if you want a successful Franchise QB. Think Peyton Manning, Aaron Rogers, and Tom Brady. Same old, same old systems. Therefore, it's more important that Tampa Bay keep the offensive environment constant for James Winston's sake, than keep Lovey Smith.

So it follows, for a NFL team to attain long term success you need a healthy marriage of a Franchise QB with a constant offensive system or coordinator. Offensive continuity and Franchise QB's trump defense when it comes to long term success.

Fisher is no offensive guru, but he's not stupid. Perhaps Fisher protects his job by not developing a franchise QB via...

1. Hire inept offensive coordinators.
2. Changing offensive systems like dirty underwear. No Continuity for Quarterbacks!
3. Turn offensive coordinator into a puppet/fall guy whom carries out Fisher's wishes.
4 Because, if Rams find an offensive coordinator whom clicks with a QB, to the point where NFL teams are clamoring to interview offensive coordinator for head coaching job, I think the smart thing to do would be- Bump offensive coordinator up to head coach and fire Fisher.

I can't find fault with Tampa Bay for firing Lovey Smith. Quarterbacks are very valuable.

Edit...It invokes the old (which came first? The chicken or the egg) argument.
Which comes first? A franchise quarterback or a successful offensive system?

Last edited:

MountainRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or the 49ers!!

Them too I guess. They are the stepping stone for all other teams NFCW teams for years to come.

P.S: And I am still angry and pained that Rams lost to them and Blaine Freaking Gabbert!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
This is all about James Winston and offensive continuity. That's why offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter has been bumped up to the Tampa Bay head coach position. If not, another NFL team would snap up Dirk Koetter, and WHAM- O

James Winston has to start all over in a new offensive system. How many offensive systems has Sam Bradford endured?

As you guys well know, 2015 was a Pass-Breaking-Record year. Modern football is all about the Quarterback position. It's becoming increasing clear, (If you're smart) you don't change your offensive system often if you want a successful Franchise QB. Think Peyton Manning, Aaron Rogers, and Tom Brady. Same old, same old systems. Therefore, it's more important that Tampa Bay keep the offensive environment constant for James Winston's sake, than keep Lovey Smith.

So it follows, for a NFL team to attain long term success you need a healthy marriage of a Franchise QB with a constant offensive system or coordinator. Offensive continuity and Franchise QB's trump defense when it comes to long term success.

Fisher is no offensive guru, but he's not stupid. Perhaps Fisher protects his job by not developing a franchise QB via...

1. Hire inept offensive coordinators.
2. Changing offensive systems like dirty underwear. No Continuity for Quarterbacks!
3. Turn offensive coordinator into a puppet/fall guy whom carries out Fisher's wishes.
4 Because, if Rams find an offensive coordinator whom clicks with a QB, to the point where NFL teams are clamoring to interview offensive coordinator for head coaching job, I think the smart thing to do would be- Bump offensive coordinator up to head coach and fire Fisher.

I can't find fault with Tampa Bay for firing Lovey Smith. Quarterbacks are very valuable.

Edit...It invokes the old (which came first? The chicken or the egg) argument.
Which comes first? A franchise quarterback or a successful offensive system?

I think you're giving the importance of a single person in an organization, headcoach, too much credit.

Also, the headcoach is just as accountable for an organization's culture as he is for its offensive style.

There is more to this story than we will ever know. But I'm sure you're right about there having been a power struggle that Lovey lost.

Stel

Starter
I'll say this much, you have a defensive minded HC in Lovie Smith, a quality DC in Leslie Frazier and the defense is still ranked as one of the worst in the league? Yeah, that's not good.
I like Lovie as much as the next guy but the defense appeared to have gotten worse after Schiano got axed

I'm not sure I agree with that. Tampa Bay's defensive rankings (STL rank)
Total yards - 10 (23)
Total points - 26 (13) [They break more than we do after bending?]
Passing yards per game - 16 (23)
Passing yards per attempt - 22 (15)
Sacks - 14 (11) [about the same number as us]
Interceptions - 21 (17) [about the same number as us]
rushing yards per game - 11 (20)
rushing yards per attempt - 2 (13)
fumbles forced - 7 (7)

For the most part, I thought our defense was pretty good. Other than in points allowed, Tampa Bay's was statistically better in most categories. Certainly not bad enough to fire a coach who had the team trending up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure I agree with that. Tampa Bay's defensive rankings (STL rank)
Total yards - 10 (23)
Total points - 26 (13) [They break more than we do after bending?]
Passing yards per game - 16 (23)
Passing yards per attempt - 22 (15)
Sacks - 14 (11) [about the same number as us]
Interceptions - 21 (17) [about the same number as us]
rushing yards per game - 11 (20)
rushing yards per attempt - 2 (13)
fumbles forced - 7 (7)

For the most part, I thought our defense was pretty good. Other than in points allowed, Tampa Bay's was statistically better in most categories. Certainly not bad enough to fire a coach who had the team trending up.
Dont understand the STL rank?
Under Schiano, they were 24th then 21st in PPG allowed
Under Lovie/Frazier, they have gone the other way to 25th and this year 26th in PPG allowed

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lovie must not be getting along with ownership and senior leaders.

You just don't dump a proven HC after 2 seasons.

Strange situation there in Tampa.

That could be as well but like I said earlier and others followed with, Tampa does not want to lose Koetter to another team as their head coach.

He basically gave Mark Barron away because he didn't fit the cover-2 Lovie runs.

That's the big downside turning over HC's.

Buffalo is going to cut Mario Williams for the same reason... A player not fitting what Rex Ryan does on defense.

And the Rams need to try to get Mario Williams to play in Longs spot. I bet he would recover his dominance under Wauffle and along with guys like Donald and Quinn.

Ouch, now that is damn disrespectful. Tampa is run like the Marlins. And some guy called the Dolphins, Cleveland South. Tampa is not far off.

Stel

Starter
Dont understand the STL rank?
Under Schiano, they were 24th then 21st in PPG allowed
Under Lovie/Frazier, they have gone the other way to 25th and this year 26th in PPG allowed

STL rank given for comparison. This year, Tampa Bay was 10th in total yards allowed, St. Louis was 23rd.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Shocker.

But Fisher continues to be employed.

I guess my Rams standards are low.
No the Rams standards are higher. Giving a head coach 2 years to do something with a franchise that starts a rookie QB in the second year is dumb.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He basically gave Mark Barron away because he didn't fit the cover-2 Lovie runs.

That's the big downside turning over HC's.

Buffalo is going to cut Mario Williams for the same reason... A player not fitting what Rex Ryan does on defense.
I'd like to see Williams in Horns

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Without doing any research, it would seem to me that the Bucs have primarily spent their draft capital on the offensive side of the ball(Winston, M.Evans, OLine, RB's). That roster was a mess 2 years ago. Of course the defense is still bad.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Without doing any research, it would seem to me that the Bucs have primarily spent their draft capital on the offensive side of the ball(Winston, M.Evans, OLine, RB's). That roster was a mess 2 years ago. Of course the defense is still bad.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
STL rank given for comparison. This year, Tampa Bay was 10th in total yards allowed, St. Louis was 23rd.
Defensive PPG is really the only stat that matters. And by that stat the D has gotten progressively worse
Pretty unexpected for a defensive minded coach

Stel

Starter
Defensive PPG is really the only stat that matters. And by that stat the D has gotten progressively worse
Pretty unexpected for a defensive minded coach

Could also mean they have a hole or two that needs to be plugged but that the overall D is pretty good. Don't follow them so I don't know.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could also mean they have a hole or two that needs to be plugged but that the overall D is pretty good. Don't follow them so I don't know.
25th and 26th in ppg allowed isnt good. Frazier got the boot today as well