One Thought About the Next Left Tackle.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Thanks for getting back with me So Ram.

I would expect Darrell Williams to be resigned but he is not a swing OT. That's why we saw Cornelius Lucas signed to a contract last season. I suspect DW will have strong competition this season because Kromer idealy needs a bonafide swing OT on the roster not a LT reserve & a RT reserve. If Whitworth were to go down in a single game Saffold would not be moved away from his LG post.But if it were for longer period of time & DW is no better than what he has been thus far Blythe will take up the LG post & Saffold move left a few feet.

My belief that Saffold would be the LT if Andrew was unable to start a few games or was to retire is that's been the way the Rams have gone in the 2013, 2014 & 2016 seasons. Saffold was our starting OT for 3 season before his move into the interior. Saffold was a very successful starting OT for 4 yrs in college too. The last time Saffold started @ LT was wk #17 in 2016.

Currently the Rams do not have any back up OT signed in 2018. The Rams do have 3 interior reserve OL'ers signed in 2018. 2 of whom started gms in the NFL & one started @ LG for Saffold & did a good job. See where I am going here....;)

The age factor is huge once NFL player move beyond 35 yrs old in today's NFL in 2018 IMO. Yes Whitworth appears to have been in great condition when the season began but to any trained observer as the season wore on so did Andrews slow responses did too. When the 2018 regular season begins Whitworth will be 36 plus 9 months yrs old.

Jackie Slater did remain on the Rams roster until he was past 40 yrs old but here's what I say to that:
*Slater played a different position than Whitworth in a different age in time in the NFL.
*Slater played on a run dominate team for the later half of his late yrs.
*Slater's last full season season completed as a starter in the OL was in 1992 @ 38 yrs old, Even though Slater did not retire until 1995.

Look I believe that Whitworth will be our starting LT in 2018. I also think the Rams gave him a great contract to give him a great desire & reason to NOT to retire ( if healthy) in 2018. Whitworth is one of my favorite 2017 Rams! I :love: to have five more just like him & would want to clone him if we could.
Hard to compare anyone to Slater.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thanks for getting back with me So Ram.

I would expect Darrell Williams to be resigned but he is not a swing OT. That's why we saw Cornelius Lucas signed to a contract last season. I suspect DW will have strong competition this season because Kromer idealy needs a bonafide swing OT on the roster not a LT reserve & a RT reserve. If Whitworth were to go down in a single game Saffold would not be moved away from his LG post.But if it were for longer period of time & DW is no better than what he has been thus far Blythe will take up the LG post & Saffold move left a few feet.

My belief that Saffold would be the LT if Andrew was unable to start a few games or was to retire is that's been the way the Rams have gone in the 2013, 2014 & 2016 seasons. Saffold was our starting OT for 3 season before his move into the interior. Saffold was a very successful starting OT for 4 yrs in college too. The last time Saffold started @ LT was wk #17 in 2016.

Currently the Rams do not have any back up OT signed in 2018. The Rams do have 3 interior reserve OL'ers signed in 2018. 2 of whom started gms in the NFL & one started @ LG for Saffold & did a good job. See where I am going here....;)

The age factor is huge once NFL player move beyond 35 yrs old in today's NFL in 2018 IMO. Yes Whitworth appears to have been in great condition when the season began but to any trained observer as the season wore on so did Andrews slow responses did too. When the 2018 regular season begins Whitworth will be 36 plus 9 months yrs old.

Jackie Slater did remain on the Rams roster until he was past 40 yrs old but here's what I say to that:
*Slater played a different position than Whitworth in a different age in time in the NFL.
*Slater played on a run dominate team for the later half of his late yrs.
*Slater's last full season season completed as a starter in the OL was in 1992 @ 38 yrs old, Even though Slater did not retire until 1995.

Look I believe that Whitworth will be our starting LT in 2018. I also think the Rams gave him a great contract to give him a great desire & reason to NOT to retire ( if healthy) in 2018. Whitworth is one of my favorite 2017 Rams! I :love: to have five more just like him & would want to clone him if we could.

I guess we can only go one season at a time. This time last year I was calling for The Rams to get rid of Saffold , & he would never make it on the 2018 roster.
Now I think he has value. He always said he would out play his contract. If he has a All Pro season next to Whitworth & they keep building chemistry he will.

Whitworth got injured & I believe that is why his play slipped. Now that might not be the truth, but time will tell. I’m a a Kool-aide drinker.

Reggie & McVay built in a system of for veterans to take off on Wednesday’s. That was a huge benefit that DL & Blythe got first team reps . That the thing about grooming a QB. There is only so many reps. The practice time has decreased some much over the years.

Barron got a lot of time off as well , mainly due to injury. I don’t see McVay change the way the team runs there practice.

Fisher was all messed up the way he made his staff work on Sunday Night & Monday’s to start his game plan. He then gave the team a different day off ? I just know he was trying to create a new way of doing things.

— It’s cool looking ahead on the future with you. Right now I’m at a blank slate , because this regime will form there thoughts early.

I look forward to the Shrine & Senior Bowl. Then the combine will help define the direction. It was pretty easy to see The Rams were going to draft a TE very early.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Now this is positive stuff!(y):bow:

Watch: Andrew Whitworth already training for 2018 at Jay Glazer's gym

By: Cameron DaSilva

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-whitworth-offseason-training-gym-jay-glazer/

Andrew Whitworth might be 36 years old, but you wouldn’t know that by watching him work both on the field and off it. Not only can he pull around the edge and punish defenders as a lead blocker 15 yards downfield, but he puts in work during the offseason to make that possible.

Jay Glazer shared a video of Whitworth already back in his gym working out, going through boxing drills with a trainer.

He looks like a guy preparing for another strong season in 2018 after being named an All-Pro this year. Or maybe he’s just trying to stay in shape for the all-important Pro Bowl coming up next weekend.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It's good young and active is Whitworth looked.
My guess is they'll try to develop a left tackle from a project that they pick up in the 4th or so before actually needing to spend a first rounder on one.

Which would be understandable because we have other needs, (like being able to stop the run) that we need fixed immediately.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We know how important and Hard it is to pick a LT in the draft,
No it's not....seriously
Rob Havenstein 25 years old: Many may laugh at me writing this but I think he is the best option of all the Rams tackles on the current roster.
now, this made me laugh...:ROFLMAO::rolllaugh:
images

Outside of of maybe one, I am not crazy about any OTs in this draft. I will be tough to get a good one where the Rams draft this year.
why? take a look my friend...young, eager, talented....all they need is direction...

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-D.../Top-College-Offensive-Tackles-2018-Draft.asp

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php

Always about 5 guys that can play...with a lil coaching...look for feet and strong hands...
Which OT do you like in the draft?
me...

Williams from Texas....Bentley Spain from UNC....Andre Dillard from Washington St....and Brian O'Neil from Pitt....and a bunch more...always some hard working kid out there that deserves a chance to play.
The obvious one.. Orlando Brown.

There are several that may end up being good but I don’t see a Whitworth level talent after Brown
hmmmm

Brown has very slow feet....Is he going to the senior bowl?
an extraordinary small school (Humboldt St.) talent, 6'6" - 305lb. Alex Cappa
I'ma keep an eye on this one....think he's invited to the senior bowl too...seems like a good kid...needs to get stronger....in his upper body....
No longer has Snead been directed to find physical freaks like Robinson and Quick to draft who may not be great football players.
hey you....Quick and G-Rob ARE great football players....they need to be coached up..by great coaches...

Case Keenum and Nick Foles agree with this statement....Hell, Sammy B is in the NFC Championship game too.
I look forward to the Shrine & Senior Bowl. Then the combine will help define the direction.
Wise man....but don't hesitate to visit the draft-nik sites...and watch clips/film...of
http://draftbreakdown.com/2018-nfl-draft-prospects/#1495730437035-a79da17f-d00e

play close attention to power 5 conferences...and games played against the SEC....may be a sleeper out there no one has really looked at...or has just "found" himself...and is working like a bandit as we type this. Like, who is Cole Madison...and why am I just hearing his name? Kyle Meadows too....;)

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Drafting these guys early has not worked out for us , I think if you have a good offense you can go out and get a good proven left tackle in free agency.

If you have a proven offense these guys will want to play on your team

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No it's not....seriously

now, this made me laugh...:ROFLMAO::rolllaugh:
images

why? take a look my friend...young, eager, talented....all they need is direction...

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-D.../Top-College-Offensive-Tackles-2018-Draft.asp

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php

Always about 5 guys that can play...with a lil coaching...look for feet and strong hands...

me...

Williams from Texas....Bentley Spain from UNC....Andre Dillard from Washington St....and Brian O'Neil from Pitt....and a bunch more...always some hard working kid out there that deserves a chance to play.

hmmmm

Brown has very slow feet....Is he going to the senior bowl?

I'ma keep an eye on this one....think he's invited to the senior bowl too...seems like a good kid...needs to get stronger....in his upper body....

hey you....Quick and G-Rob ARE great football players....they need to be coached up..by great coaches...

Case Keenum and Nick Foles agree with this statement....Hell, Sammy B is in the NFC Championship game too.
Wise man....but don't hesitate to visit the draft-nik sites...and watch clips/film...of
http://draftbreakdown.com/2018-nfl-draft-prospects/#1495730437035-a79da17f-d00e

play close attention to power 5 conferences...and games played against the SEC....may be a sleeper out there no one has really looked at...or has just "found" himself...and is working like a bandit as we type this. Like, who is Cole Madison...and why am I just hearing his name? Kyle Meadows too....;)
LT's are easy to draft, eh?
The last LT that the Rams drafted that was worth the draft capital expended was in 1997 with Big O.....easy.. that's rich!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LACHAMP46 said:

Sounds like...the next Barrett Jones. You mean, this time it will work? You wouldn't let me down, woudja?
E1b6MCD.jpg