One Thought About the Next Left Tackle.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Actually, I like Kolton Miller OT UCLA.

And he's someone we should be able to get in the 3rd. I know some have him as a late round pick but the more people watch the film and the other hyped guys are off the board and teams load up on DEs and OLBs to rush the passer, I think he's going to def be a 3rd-4th rounder.

Only prob is there are likely 3-4 guys we could really use at that 3rd round spot.

But yeah, I'd def work out Miller and see if we could red-shirt him.

There are many needs. I don't want them forcing a pick for need.

I think Snead already is wondering if he will be able to turn their first round pick into a second and third, or fourth.

WestCoastRam

Legend
A backup OT/LT of the future is a good pick in this draft. I'm pretty happy too with not reaching for anyone and grabbing a developmental guy. Whomever we get will be an instant upgrade over our 3rd tackle (for all intents and purposes, Saffold is not the third tackle and unless Whit or Havenstein go in IR, he won't be moved for just a few games). That person then can possibly take over at LT of RT in the years to come.

Havenstein has shown the ability to move inside and could have stayed there had we had a RT prospect better than Robinson. Our new OT could try out at LT and worse case scenario, take over at RT. Brown could then take over for an aging Saffold in two years time.

Best case scenario, our developmental OT is a hit and takes over at LT in the future. If not, we draft or acquire another tackle in two years time but the one we get this draft will more than likely still get used.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Either get a younger FA <33 or draft a guy that can start right away, no more projects.

Unfortunately, it's not always that easy. What happened with Whitworth last season is a rarity.

What happens when all the top LT prospects are off the board when we pick at #23 ?

Here is your list of potential 2018 LT free agents, some of which are likely to be re-signed by their old teams. Tell us who you think can replace Whitworth :

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/left-tackle/

Yeah the Rams' best bet is to get a project OT who has some feet to him and let Kromer do his thing. Those types can often slide inside too, and give us OG depth, so it would be valuable. And if they go that route IF Big Whit gets hurt they slide Roger outside and fill the OG from depth.

I think it's important to remember that Kromer is > Boudreau wrt development.

Trading up to fill LT might be the plan too. I hope not, prefer they address defense defense defense. But if they go that route it's hard to argue, as protecting Goff is crucial.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams must come out of this 2018 draft with a starting caliber outside CB nothing could be so clear.

Starting corner Kayvon Webster is damaged & has two Serious rehabbing events going into the off season (Shoulder Reconstruction & Achilles surgery). Plus KW will be a UFA this time next year. NR-C best skills & talents are @ the Nickle/Dime Corner not outside starting corner. Rams other CB's Troy Hill/ Kevin Peterson/ Dom Hatfield are UDFA's who may be good 4th & 5th corners but have holes in their skills & talents that will cause any team starting them Heartburn. You better get some corner talent infusion ASAP!

On the plus side here in the 2018 Draft it has been said by professionals who earn a living in knowing NFL drafts.....its a good year for excellent corners & the overall corner prospect amounts is good just as well. Snead has a well proven track record on drafting DB starters. Time to take advantage of Snead's scout team talents & refrain from purchasing over priced & heavy baggage'd & cap busting veteran UFA corners & take some of these low hanging fruit Bargains in this draft.
Hill is a RFA, which is good and should be retained.
This is why I have said best scenario is keeping Tru, NRC and using the first round pick on a CB.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I like our OL.

Including the ascending Hav and Brown. Kromer is worth his weight in gold, huh?

I would extend Sully, if reasonable, and Blythe looks like excellent backup, if not an outright possible starter at C.

Saffold is a Pro Bowler at LG.

Whit had an outstanding season, another Pro Bowler. But we probably should try to get his eventual replacement this offseason, if possible.

And it’s always a good idea to bring in depth for the OL positions.

In short, our OL is light years ahead of the ‘16 version, but still needs some offseason attention.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Does Corneilius Lucas have it in him? He's got the wingspan and weight. He played RT vs the 9er's and seemed to hold his own.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gurley, Goff, and a host of improvements at WR get a lot of credit... but the oline opened holes and gave the passing game considerable time.

I am comfortable with the unit, but increasing our depth should always be an off-season priority. An injury here or there can set the whole offense back.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does Corneilius Lucas have it in him? He's got the wingspan and weight. He played RT vs the 9er's and seemed to hold his own.

He was one of the few that actually played well against the Whiners, small sample size, but I would like to see play more and I would draft an OT too because maybe Lucas can even battle Havenstein next season.

Ram65

Legend
Whitworth has a good year left in him. Seems like there is no clear answer with many positions to fill. Left tackle and Right Tackle are next to QB for importance for the offense. It's early in the off season process. I think the Rams will identify LT prospects they like in each round of the draft. It wouldn't surprise me if one was available in round 1 that they would draft him or other rounds. Seems like it hard after the early rounds to find a good LT. Let's see what they do with the reserves.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am with you that it would be foolish to count out the groomed interior OL reserves that Kromer has been working with this entire season. But I do not have any faith in the two reserve OT's as being legit future starting LT for the Rams.

I also agree on your comments of utilizing our top selection for the LT is uncomfortable. Most members sit here today think Whitworth will play out his contract & be here through 2019, but I believe that to be highly doubtful.

Now that would be a serious blow to this offense & Goff. Current reserve OT's Darrell Williams & Cornelius Lucas are pure back up @ best from what I have seen thus far. Plus both are involved in free agency in less than 2 months & will need new contracts. Fact is it takes many seasons to develop average playing OL'ers. LT takes longer.

The center position may be in better condition that we think if John Sullivan decides to make more $$$ & play elsewhere. Kromer has been working with Austin Blythe (who was signed immediately after he was released by the Colts) since May 2017. I have learned to really like Iowa OL products. Austin will be 26 yrs old & will enter his 3rd season in 2018. He has 24 NFL games under his belt has starts @ RT,LG & OC but he is an interior OL due to his size.

Besides Blythe Kromer has been developing several other WWC's. Aaron Nearly is 25 yrs old & has been on several teams like the Eagles & Broncos. He is a former teammate of Cooper Kupp @ Eastern Washington & was the starting OG with 46 starts. When Nearly was released from Kromer signed him on 9/3/2017. He was signed to the Practice Squad till he was signed to the master roster on 12/2717 & started @ center for us that Sunday. He is 6-4 302 lbs.

Another interior OL that has been hanging around for a while is Jake Eldrenkamp. A 6-5 302 interior type athletic OL'er.Kromer brought him in back on 5/2/17 from Washington Huskies. He was a OT but appears to be an athletic zone-scheme fit at guard or center for the Rams. Signed to the PS on 9/3/17 & has remained there ever since.

Bottom Line here is Blythe is contracted till 2020 & Nearly is contracted till 2019 so there's a very good chance both interior OL'ers will be here in 2018 begins. I would expect the same for Eldrenkamp.

At first I was going to praise you for your post. I understand the concern for offense of line. I still think the offense of line does not to get as much credit as it deserves for the season they just had.

Let me start by saying The Big 5 held up all season long , Darell Williams & Austin Blythe both filled in nicely as back ups.

The Rams have a lot of trust in both of these back ups.Williams is only 24 & was the swing tackle.Kromer worked with him all season, as he got starting reps LT weekly.Same with Austin Blythe being the swing C/G.

Like I predicted The Rams only carried 8 Offensive Lineman all season with C.Lewis being the only other offensive lineman , not counting Jake McQuaide.

—That took balls & it worked out.It got scary when Whitworth went down in a game,but comeback.

Right there really upsets me on your statement right there on Whitworth.He is playing at such a high level.

He showed his Athletic ability and speed for an old dude his size running to catch a player on a pick six . He of course did not catch the guy, but showed off his condition ,shape, & desire.

The Rams manage his reps & condition well. Preserving his body for each Sunday , all the while giving quality reps to there back ups like Darrell Williams & in Sullivan’s Case Austin Blythe as well.

I would be naïve to think the Rams I’m not trying to upgrade the position moving forward. That is the case at all postions.

I believe The Rams have control in both
Williams & Lucus’s Contracts ?

Funny to think about Roger Saffolds future with The Rams will be.

Snead showed the control they have in Aaron Donald & the question in Tavon Austin.
Trumaine Johnson got the best of The Rams & now Sammy Watkins? Will see what happens?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I fear that other more apparent needs with less value will be addressed before we are ready to replace Andrew Whitworth. He was good-great this year, but for how long? We know how important and Hard it is to pick a LT in the draft, and finally after two high 1st round busts in a row (Jason Smith and GROB) and free agent bust Jake Long, we lucked out in signing Whit. Andrew Kromer did a great job this year with the Oline, but I also know that Havenstein and Brown have commented on the advice Whitworth gave them that made them better. We need to pick a LT in this draft, so that Whit can help train his replacement.

I fear that we will push this off, thinking we can milk another year out of an old veteran when the end comes. Without a legit LT, we are SOL.

I’m sure The Rams will look to upgrade & continue to build within. This is just the of something new.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't count out the guys behind Whitworth who have been under the tutelage of Kromer this year and into next. Honestly the thought of drafting a kid to groom as our future LT isn't something I care to see - i prefer we nab some 25 year old cut from another team or in Free agency that can be coached up - like what they tried to do with the center from Buffalo

Center of the future is the more pressing position on the oline to me

The Rams & Kromer Just did that this season with Austin Blythe. I would have been a disappointment if that dude signed with The Rams instead of John Sullivan. That was a blessing all the way.Kromer took care of him by having him sign.
The Rams set a fair market price.That was good to see how they played there cards.Maybe they still would have signed Sullivan? The veteran leadership came from both He & Whitworth.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Saffold had perhaps his best year ever as a Ram at LG. Could you move him out there in a pinch, sure... but at this point I think you do everything to keep him at guard.

My money is on the Rams drafting a guy mid-rounds as a backup tackle and heir-apparent. Chances of that guy taking over someday are small but I think you end up hedging your bets with Whitworth one more year before taking a tackle high.

That being said, Whitworth's decline down the stretch was noticeable and given his age, I don't think there's any reason to believe we won't see the same thing next year. It is an issue.

I’m sure Whitworth was not 100% after his knee got hurt.Amazing he was not hurt worse.That right there was scary.

Darell Williams was always going to be the backup LT.Saffold got hurt as well in a game,not sure if Big Rob was banged up.
I could see Jamon Brown being moved to RT with Blythe playing RG , before seeing SFfold at LT ? That right there was the beauty of the switch between the too in the preseason.
Darell Williams seems to struggle at RT.He does a adequate job at LT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’m sure Whitworth was not 100% after his knee got hurt.Amazing he was not hurt worse.That right there was scary.

Darell Williams was always going to be the backup LT.Saffold got hurt as well in a game,not sure if Big Rob was banged up.
I could see Jamon Brown being moved to RT with Blythe playing RG , before seeing SFfold at LT ? That right there was the beauty of the switch between the too in the preseason.
Darrell Williams seems to struggle at RT.He does a adequate job at LT.
We don't have much disagreement here So Ram. Fact is, in the Rams past, since 2013 Rodger Saffold has always been the main reserve back up @ LT. This I am sure included last season. Whenever the Rams lost its starting LT due to injury where he was Unable to start the gm, Fact is Rodger started @ LT if he was healthy. That's been ongoing for many years. Do you know of an example where that's not factual? 2018 things might change up don't know yet.

Lucky for us McVay/Kromer took extreme measures with the 37 yr old LT since he was signed to keep him from being ran down... smart! Wonder why they took all those measures? Might be because there are major concerns in this area, as it should be. I do not understand why me bring up that Saffold is the bona fide real game day back up to the LT post is upsetting to you. Can you help me out on this? I would like to fully understand.

Darrell Williams got his first start @ LT since entering the NFL in 2015 (says something to me) along with Lucas @ RT (by the way Rams do not have control over RT Cornelius Lucas contract he is a UFA) , Blythe @ LG & Nearly @ OC because the game held no importance to McVay.

I feel good about DW being offered a 2nd round tender in March I hope DW decides to sign it. DW will be entering his 4th season in Training Camp & might show enough improvement finally to end up being ready for some considerations to get some real gm. time play @ LT resting the oldest starting OT in the NFL for need period of time. If that happens then Saffold can remain in his best playing position. But until then Saffold's the man.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unrealized potential from a dumped practice squad player, magically drawn out and developed by Coach Kromer is the answer for our LT of the future?

Yeah...no.

1st or 2nd round prospects for the 2nd most important position on a football team, expertly scouted and then just as expertly developed by Kromer is the answer, imho. Give Kromer actual silk instead of a sow's ear to make that garment, please.

If you use as an example of GROB and Jason Smith as your examples as to why this is not the right approach to draft high for a LT, then I give you Jake Long as the example of why Andrew Whitworth shouldn't have been signed, which of course is ridiculous. We have better people in charge now, and Snead is better because the Fisher influence is gone. No longer has Snead been directed to find physical freaks like Robinson and Quick to draft who may not be great football players.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Either get a younger FA <33 or draft a guy that can start right away, no more projects.

They really shouldn't need to approach it like one is needed right away. Whitworth might be 36 most of next season but he's only played 12 years. And he rarely missed games. Some guys have a knack for staying healthy. Jackie Slater started 16 games at 38 years old.

I think Whitworth still has a couple seasons left. If they sign a younger veteran he wouldn't be playing LT for a couple years. Draft an OT with good potential in the mid rounds and let him sit behind Whitworth a couple seasons. Its not critical to fill the position now.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We don't have much disagreement here So Ram. Fact is, in the Rams past, since 2013 Rodger Saffold has always been the main reserve back up @ LT. This I am sure included last season. Whenever the Rams lost its starting LT due to injury where he was Unable to start the gm, Fact is Rodger started @ LT if he was healthy. That's been ongoing for many years. Do you know of an example where that's not factual? 2018 things might change up don't know yet.

Lucky for us McVay/Kromer took extreme measures with the 37 yr old LT since he was signed to keep him from being ran down... smart! Wonder why they took all those measures? Might be because there are major concerns in this area, as it should be. I do not understand why me bring up that Saffold is the bona fide real game day back up to the LT post is upsetting to you. Can you help me out on this? I would like to fully understand.

Darrell Williams got his first start @ LT since entering the NFL in 2015 (says something to me) along with Lucas @ RT (by the way Rams do not have control over RT Cornelius Lucas contract he is a UFA) , Blythe @ LG & Nearly @ OC because the game held no importance to McVay.

I feel good about DW being offered a 2nd round tender in March I hope DW decides to sign it. DW will be entering his 4th season in Training Camp & might show enough improvement finally to end up being ready for some considerations to get some real gm. time play @ LT resting the oldest starting OT in the NFL for need period of time. If that happens then Saffold can remain in his best playing position. But until then Saffold's the man.

Well I don’t know where your price is that Roger Saffold would get moved to LT over Darrell Williams. I guess that is my point.
My question would be when was the last game Roger Saffold played LT ? I don’t think he played one snap there in the preseason?
When Whitworth got hurt it was Williams that was in . Maybe I missed it , but I know Williams had to play a couple snaps at RT. He is out of place over there. I’m not sure what the future might be as far as a backup LT moving forward. I believe they are always going to upgrade when they have a chance.

Allen May beat out Mannion this of season ?

The thing that got me upset is saying Whitworth won’t make it through his contract. The dude is in excellent shape
& keeps himself in great shape for a O’lineman . To me age is just a number. I watch Jackie Slater make it 20 years at a top level.
Tell me how you think Whitworth will decline that fast in 1 1/2 years ? He was playing at pro bowl level. He is not the beT LT , but even then he could get moved to another spot on the offensive line if there is a top LT The Rams have an opportunity to draft .

Snead passed on a RB because there can only be one RB at a time. Best play available will be in play come draft day.

The good thing about this season is not having to look deeply into the draft. The way The Rams kept putting pieces together was pretty awesome to see. I don’t think they missed , except maybe with the CB from Denver. Not a big fan of his.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well I don’t know where your price is that Roger Saffold would get moved to LT over Darrell Williams. I guess that is my point.
My question would be when was the last game Roger Saffold played LT ? I don’t think he played one snap there in the preseason?
When Whitworth got hurt it was Williams that was in . Maybe I missed it , but I know Williams had to play a couple snaps at RT. He is out of place over there. I’m not sure what the future might be as far as a backup LT moving forward. I believe they are always going to upgrade when they have a chance.

Allen May beat out Mannion this of season ?

The thing that got me upset is saying Whitworth won’t make it through his contract. The dude is in excellent shape
& keeps himself in great shape for a O’lineman . To me age is just a number. I watch Jackie Slater make it 20 years at a top level.
Tell me how you think Whitworth will decline that fast in 1 1/2 years ? He was playing at pro bowl level. He is not the beT LT , but even then he could get moved to another spot on the offensive line if there is a top LT The Rams have an opportunity to draft .

Snead passed on a RB because there can only be one RB at a time. Best play available will be in play come draft day.

The good thing about this season is not having to look deeply into the draft. The way The Rams kept putting pieces together was pretty awesome to see. I don’t think they missed , except maybe with the CB from Denver. Not a big fan of his.

Thanks for getting back with me So Ram.

I would expect Darrell Williams to be resigned but he is not a swing OT. That's why we saw Cornelius Lucas signed to a contract last season. I suspect DW will have strong competition this season because Kromer idealy needs a bonafide swing OT on the roster not a LT reserve & a RT reserve. If Whitworth were to go down in a single game Saffold would not be moved away from his LG post.But if it were for longer period of time & DW is no better than what he has been thus far Blythe will take up the LG post & Saffold move left a few feet.

My belief that Saffold would be the LT if Andrew was unable to start a few games or was to retire is that's been the way the Rams have gone in the 2013, 2014 & 2016 seasons. Saffold was our starting OT for 3 season before his move into the interior. Saffold was a very successful starting OT for 4 yrs in college too. The last time Saffold started @ LT was wk #17 in 2016.

Currently the Rams do not have any back up OT signed in 2018. The Rams do have 3 interior reserve OL'ers signed in 2018. 2 of whom started gms in the NFL & one started @ LG for Saffold & did a good job. See where I am going here....;)

The age factor is huge once NFL player move beyond 35 yrs old in today's NFL in 2018 IMO. Yes Whitworth appears to have been in great condition when the season began but to any trained observer as the season wore on so did Andrews slow responses did too. When the 2018 regular season begins Whitworth will be 36 plus 9 months yrs old.

Jackie Slater did remain on the Rams roster until he was past 40 yrs old but here's what I say to that:
*Slater played a different position than Whitworth in a different age in time in the NFL.
*Slater played on a run dominate team for the later half of his late yrs.
*Slater's last full season season completed as a starter in the OL was in 1992 @ 38 yrs old, Even though Slater did not retire until 1995.

Look I believe that Whitworth will be our starting LT in 2018. I also think the Rams gave him a great contract to give him a great desire & reason to NOT to retire ( if healthy) in 2018. Whitworth is one of my favorite 2017 Rams! I :love: to have five more just like him & would want to clone him if we could.