One thing that's been bothering me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams' approach to practice with crisp and efficient efforts has been lauded by the media and even remarked upon by leadership of other teams over the course of McVay's time with us. But I find myself wondering if said practices need to be adjusted to allow for more physicality on gameday.

In other words, this team looks like it needs some full pads thumping type practices. Defense has looked like they need it for, well, all season. Offense got manhandled so badly last night maybe they could use it too.

And I don't know that it would make a marked difference, btw. Just wondering whether it's something that is being considered in-house.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think the D actually needs a smidge of Fisher ball. They don't seem to play with attitude... no mean streak or nastiness. Play like a bunch of nice guys.

TexasRam

Legend
I agree our defense plays soft. Sometimes the tackling is by the LBers is just laying guys down.

I hope it changes come playoffs because RB's will be fighting for every last yard.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Me neither. All those big intimidating hits came with 15 yards and an automatic first down. I’ll pass.

Not only that, they were very adept at giving up the lead in the waning minutes.

That's why i wasn't excited when the rams signed him. His last game with the saints his d gave up two 80 yard td drives to Alex Smith in the final two minutes of the play-off. Drew Brees led the saints to the lead twice against the formidable whiners d then his d let their powder puff, slow moving offense go the length of the field twice in the final two minutes. It was so unbelievable i had to say it twice.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
One thing the offensive line doesn't need right now is "full pads thumping type practices." What they need is rest. Especially Whitworth, Saffold, and Sullivan. I'm guessing from the way he was used in the Bears game, Gurley could use some time off as well. Yeah, it's not good for continuity and all that but these guys look like they're wearing down.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Me neither. All those big intimidating hits came with 15 yards and an automatic first down. I’ll pass.

I don't think we are saying we want Greg Williams back, but we could use a little bit of that nasty streak, but pair it with discipline and intelligence.

Perfect example would be how Bobby Wagner plays. Tough, nasty, but rarely dumb penalties. We need a LB and a safety like that. Even a young agressive DT to pair with Donald would be huge.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't think we are saying we want Greg Williams back, but we could use a little bit of that nasty streak, but pair it with discipline and intelligence.

Perfect example would be how Bobby Wagner plays. Tough, nasty, but rarely dumb penalties. We need a LB and a safety like that. Even a young agressive DT to pair with Donald would be huge.

Bobby Wagner is all pro. Every team needs that.

I don’t see what he has to do with Greg Williams.

I remember being the nasty, salty 8-8 team that no one wanted to play. I’m way happier now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're 11-2. I am fine with what they're doing.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Bobby Wagner is all pro. Every team needs that.

I don’t see what he has to do with Greg Williams.

I remember being the nasty, salty 8-8 team that no one wanted to play. I’m way happier now.

Why are you talking about extremes here?

I am talking about the physicality and nastiness Wagner plays with. Under Williams our D did that to an extreme and it included undisciplined play.

I just want to see the physicality and some nastiness in a defense that comes out and thumps people.

Our D is a finesse defense... and still lacks discipline in terms if filling gaps and tackling.

Name
Victor
One thing the offensive line doesn't need right now is "full pads thumping type practices." What they need is rest. Especially Whitworth, Saffold, and Sullivan. I'm guessing from the way he was used in the Bears game, Gurley could use some time off as well. Yeah, it's not good for continuity and all that but these guys look like they're wearing down.

I though the bye week would help and they could come back better and more rested ....it was quite the opposite. Hard to understand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I though the bye week would help and they could come back better and more rested ....it was quite the opposite. Hard to understand.

That's the negative of what I said about resting them. It's difficult to turn off and then on again that rhythm that players develop by practicing together. Therein lies McVay's conundrum.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We just had a bye. So not sure that rest is the issue in fact I would think it's not, since they had one of the later byes.

I am not criticizing McVay's approach here; obviously it works. Just wondering whether he needs to adjust it to shore up the physical side of things as we near the playoffs. Remember, the Rams swooned pretty damn hard in last year's playoffs and seemed to be gassed about 3/4 of the way through when they began to give up all that ground yardage.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think we'll struggle against the real physical teams on both sides of the ball. Our line is old and not overly physical, more technicians than brutes. Our front 7 on defense is undersized and gets pushed around in the run game consistently. I'm not sure what the solution is but we need to tweak something, either scheme or preparation because we cant get man handled like that up front.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we'll struggle against the real physical teams on both sides of the ball. Our line is old and not overly physical, more technicians than brutes. Our front 7 on defense is undersized and gets pushed around in the run game consistently. I'm not sure what the solution is but we need to tweak something, either scheme or preparation because we cant get man handled like that up front.

the solution is to score early. early and often. it's up to mcvay to get the team ready to hit the ground running.