On paper, this looks like an elite type D, doesn't it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
But on the field it’s a far different thing.

I thought that by game 10 the gelling would surely have already occurred. Clearly it hasn’t, has it?

I’ll leave the x’s and o’s to others, but I will say this.

This D is not playing nearly as well as a unit as their talent would indicate. That’s usually a result of faulty coaching. When previously dominating players suddenly are struggling, what else should we conclude?

Wade owns this D and if he has square plugs going into round holes, talented as those square plugs might be, then I’ve gotta lay the blame at his feet.

Fowler has helped.

Talib’s return should be a huge help.

But geez. How in the world do they allow 273 rushing yards to the Seahawks? And give Wilson an easy 90+ rushing yards? Boggles the mind.

I love this team as much as any poster, but that doesn’t mean that I’m gonna ignore the obvious. This currently functioning D is gonna kill us in the playoffs. It’s gonna be the Atlanta fubar all over again unless SOMETHING changes.

The Emperor has no clothes, y’all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not at all. Go down the roster. We have talent on the defensive line, an underperforming former first round CB, and a bunch of mediocrity.

IMO on paper this defense needs help this coming offseason. More talent, more competition, and more depth.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, I'm kind of mystified.
We're getting gashed on the ground.
I expected with Phillips, we would be doing a little better in that department.

He'll probably fix it just in time for the playoffs.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Certainly not elite, but we have time to iron out their issues. Teams that get hot in the postseason are Super Bowl bound.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are working on it 43! You can be sure about that. We just have to wait for the answers. IN WADE I TRUST! But I sure would like to see a run-stuffing linebacker behind that great D-line.

dang

Legend
If the Rams defense can improve on 3rd down pass coverage, stop any more idiotic penalties and give up 25% fewer rushing yards no one will be able to keep up with their offense. All 3 goals seemed achievable.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
If the Rams defense can improve on 3rd down pass coverage

Looked a lot better Sunday. Fowler off the rush and QB's can't step up in the pocket with Suh and Donald. They sacked Wilson twice on third down and forced a bad throw on the final play.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

I thought that by game 10 the gelling would surely have already occurred. Clearly it hasn’t, has it?

This D is not playing nearly as well as a unit as their talent would indicate. That’s usually a result of faulty coaching. When previously dominating players suddenly are struggling, what else should we conclude?

Wade owns this D and if he has square plugs going into round holes, talented as those square plugs might be, then I’ve gotta lay the blame at his feet.

Fowler has helped.

But geez. How in the world do they allow 273 rushing yards to the Seahawks? And give Wilson an easy 90+ rushing yards? Boggles the mind.

I love this team as much as any poster, but that doesn’t mean that I’m gonna ignore the obvious. This currently functioning D is gonna kill us in the playoffs. It’s gonna be the Atlanta fubar all over again unless SOMETHING changes.

It's called undisciplined defense. Plain and simple there's no mystery to it these guys are not doing their jobs because they all want to make "the play"

Ellard80

Legend
Ehh not really.. we have a few big names combined with a bunch of nobodies.

Littleton has done a great job of stepping up.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
For all their problems lately, the Rams defense still ranks 12th in yards allowed per game with 355 and 13th in points allowed per game with 23.1. Not elite, not what we expected, but better than average. And better than the Chiefs.

Ellard80

Legend
For all their problems lately, the Rams defense still ranks 12th in yards allowed per game with 355 and 13th in points allowed per game with 23.1. Not elite, not what we expected, but better than average. And better than the Chiefs.

We started off solid... it's whats happened lately that's troubling.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I still think this defense will show up this year. As frustrating as things have been, it is hard to write off Johnson, Joyner, NRC, Shields, Peters and even Hill has shown signs of growth. Enter Talib, and we may shore-up the back end.

At linebacker, Barron may be physically spent. Littleton has been a splash player, but how if he against the run? Is it scheme, is he getting easily moved? Should we look at Kiser? Is Kiser ready? Obviously Wade doesn't think so, or is overly-loyal.

Outside, you can't tell me that between Fowler, Ebukam, Obo, Longacre, etc. we can't generate more outside pressure down the stretch? Make it happen, guys!

And then there is Donnald, Suh and Brockers, our core. They have to do better as a group, too.

Ellard80

Legend
I still think this defense will show up this year. As frustrating as things have been, it is hard to write off Johnson, Joyner, NRC, Shields, Peters and even Hill has shown signs of growth. Enter Talib, and we may shore-up the back end.

At linebacker, Barron may be physically spent. Littleton has been a splash player, but how if he against the run? Is it scheme, is he getting easily moved? Should we look at Kiser? Is Kiser ready? Obviously Wade doesn't think so, or is overly-loyal.

Outside, you can't tell me that between Fowler, Ebukam, Obo, Longacre, etc. we can't generate more outside pressure down the stretch? Make it happen, guys!

And then there is Donnald, Suh and Brockers, our core. They have to do better as a group, too.

Yes there is still time to right the ship.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm surprised by people saying things like "nobodies" or "average players" - this defense is stacked.

AD/Suh/Brockers - I think we all agree on these guys

Ebukam/Longacre/Fowler - Longacre has been bad - I think we all agree on that. Ebukam has had good moments and bad - what you'd expect from a first year starter. I think we mostly agree on these guys.

Barron - was a stud last year. In the offseason when people said he'd be a cap casualty I thought they were crazy - he was much better than Ogletree IMO. Coaches agreed and last year he was an above average starter IMO - this year he's been disappointing. Littleton has been better and has been a pleasant surprise.

Secondary - this is where we will probably mostly disagree. Joyner has been bad - but John Johnson grades out as one of the better safeties this year. NRC is still one of the best NCBs.

So when you look at this defense, IMO you can point to three guys - Barron/Joyner/Peters (along with the Talib injury), and show how this defense has been bad. They just haven't played up to how they played LAST season. So I agree with the "on paper" comment.

However - the front 7 has not been good against the run. Whatever Phillips thought Suh would bring to the run game, I haven't seen it yet.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Fowler has helped.

They try to rush the passer on every play... look at Baldy's breakdown on twitter from yesterday. He shows how he feels their pre-snap alignment just invite a team to run the ball down their throat along with poor tackling even in line tackling.

They really need a true nose that can tie up blockers and if they get more edge rush from Fowler and Obo down teh road, maybe they sacrifice pass rush from the nose position and get a run stuffer inside.

I also think Suh can't play 85% plus of the snaps.. He has to be a 65% guy and let him rotate with said run stuffer and bring him in against more prolific passing teams or in obvious passing situations.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Gonna have to disagree there bud. Peters, Ebukam, Fowler, Suh, Shields, Talib, JFM, Kiser, Lawler, etc are all guys that Wade has brought in. Last year i could make a case for that, but Wade has added quite a bit of talent that should equate to a much better D.

Last edited: