OL through 2 games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's been a mixed bag but I think one thing we're not talking about enough is the fact we might have a starting LT. Jackson looks solid man. And I am pretty sure right now Avila is going to get better and better as we go forward so the left side of that OL is potentially going from garbage last season to decent. Now if Jackson can hold up physically and log games we might be lottery winners at LT, but of course that's a ways off.

Still, though, I'll take wins where I can get them. Arcuri wasn't too bad either btw, so him and McClendon might make for a nice bottom of the roster OT duo if they can both make the cut.

RG honestly I still don't know what to think. But Center looks like it'll be ok and maybe we found some fresh blood for that depth chart overall so if and when they solve RG we may have the makings of a line.

muggmeister

Rookie
It's been a mixed bag but I think one thing we're not talking about enough is the fact we might have a starting LT. Jackson looks solid man. And I am pretty sure right now Avila is going to get better and better as we go forward so the left side of that OL is potentially going from garbage last season to decent. Now if Jackson can hold up physically and log games we might be lottery winners at LT, but of course that's a ways off.

Still, though, I'll take wins where I can get them. Arcuri wasn't too bad either btw, so him and McClendon might make for a nice bottom of the roster OT duo if they can both make the cut.

RG honestly I still don't know what to think. But Center looks like it'll be ok and maybe we found some fresh blood for that depth chart overall so if and when they solve RG we may have the makings of a line.
Not convinced it's completely coming together yet. I saw Avila whiff on a few occasions against the Raiders so not sure what to expect when he faces the Cowboys, Eagles, and 49ers lines. Right guard is still a huge concern to me, would still love to see them sign Dalton Risner, I don't want to see Stafford killed and would like to also to see some consistent running lanes, not sure if we have somebody to help with that as of now. Still a few weeks before the season starts but it would be nice to have our "starting" 5 together sooner than later to gain some cohesiveness.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty pleased with the OL overall so far. Actually, I am pretty good with the offense as a whole. Running backs, Stafford, Kupp and the receivers, TE, OLine ... all should be pretty good. We'll just have to outscore the other team who will be putting up 25 points plus each week ...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm starting to believe our starting OL will consist of :

LT) Jackson
LG) Avila
C) Allen (until traded)
RG) Anchrum
RT) Havenstein

Swing OT (until traded) : Noteboom
Swing OG : Thomas
Back-up Center : Shelton
Back-up OT : McClendon

Bruss winds up on IR

Practice Squad :
McAllister
Arcuri
Sean Maginn

My current problem with the above is whether McAllister and/or Arcuri can survive the waiver process.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LT) Jackson
LG) Avila
C) Allen (until traded)
RG) Anchrum
RT) Havenstein

Bruss winds up on IR

Practice Squad :
McAllister
Arcuri
Sean Maginn

My current problem with the above is whether McAllister and/or Arcuri can survive the waiver process.
Solid. Think I'd keep Arcuri though and go with 10 for the room.

TexasRam

Legend
I feel much better about our Oline this year for sure.

I don’t think it is as solid as our Super Bowl year. Whitworth and Corbett were much better then what I would project Jackson and Anchrum to be.

Avila does have more talent then what David Edwards had, and I know many people loved to hate on Edwards but he really was an above average LG that graded out nicely in pass pro. He was often isolated man on man and so was naturally going to have pressures and sacks that the fan base would whine about and blow out of proportion.

Havenstein and Allen are the holdovers.

Once Jackson is tested against some premier pass rushers we will see what we truly have with him. I suspect above average but not a pro bowl level franchise type.

I’m thinking a middle of the pack Oline which should be good enough to generate a top 10 offense with the skill guys and a Mcvay at the helm.

I think when we face the Eagles or Niners fronts we are going to have 99 problems and we are going to think our Oline is Swiss cheese, but they should hold their own vs the average fronts we face.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Bruss goes to IR again with that ankle sprain... he's done. And I don't think that's hyperbolic. Two years of no practice when the kid needs a ton of reps. That's it.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
If Bruss goes to IR again with that ankle sprain... he's done. And I don't think that's hyperbolic. Two years of no practice when the kid needs a ton of reps. That's it.

He definitely can't be counted on to start, thats for sure.

In a way, I think McClendon might push him off the roster or to not be re-signed after his contract is up. If McClendon shows to be a capable spot starter/very good backup at RG/RT...what exactly is Bruss' role?

WestCoastRam

Legend
He definitely can't be counted on to start, thats for sure.
After seeing him this last game, he can't be counted on to even backup. And that's without the injury.

The kid needs to be on the roster, getting snaps (even as little as you get as a backup) during the week all season if he's got a shot of not being a bust.

I was holding my judgment on him till next year but that was with the expectation that he'd have a year of practice. IR for him is the worst possible outcome and ALMOST guarantees him being a bust.

The good news is that we have so many young promising lineman that it's not gonna be the absolute worst news come next year with McClendon, Thomas, McCallister all in the system.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bruss had a MAJOR injury last year. I'm not a coach, and I don't see him in practice everyday, but he may need an additional year to recover from that injury, whether it's physical or mental. Gonna be interesting to see what Mcvay's plans are for him.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Agreed that A Jackson has looked solid at LT. He had a real nice extra-effort play when Rivers was stopped for a short gain on the left, then AJ came back over and pushed the whole pile so Rivers could gain an extra 3 yards.

In the 4th quarter, Whit said something like, "Joe Noteboom is a strong and extraordinarily talented athlete, so I'd expect him to be one of the starting 5, somewhere on the line." Only available spot would be RG, right?

Anchrum to me looks competent at RG in the meantime.

Whit also had high praise for Z. Thomas and McClendon.

To my eye, Bruss's ankle injury didn't look that bad at all. Just looked like a regular rolled ankle (not at all the dreaded high ankle, which is when the ankle rolls in the opposite direction.) Bruss was chatting away and looked unconcerned afterward on the sidelines, so I think he'll be ok soon enough. (But who knows, maybe given his questionable performance so far they'd want ti stash him on the PUP list?) Whether or not he's good enough to make the 53 is a separate question.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

LT) Jackson
LG) Avila
C) Allen (until traded)
RG) Anchrum
RT) Havenstein

Bruss winds up on IR

Practice Squad :
McAllister
Arcuri
Sean Maginn

Who is going to trad for broke down Allen? I’d release him and make McCallister the bake up center instead of risking losing him.

And again, who is going to trade for Joe Noteboom? The Rams are stuck with him. They are testing him at RG but he’s not a guard. He’s not a good Tackle either. Signing him was a big mistake (some of us knew it when it happened). If they are testing him at Right Guard then that either means that Anchrum isn’t that good or they are desperate to find a spot for Noteboom to backup or start.

They need to keep McClendon Thomas and McCallister on the roster and Noteboom is putting a big kink in that plan.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Who is going to trad for broke down Allen? I’d release him and make McCallister the bake up center instead of risking losing him.

And again, who is going to trade for Joe Noteboom? The Rams are stuck with him. They are testing him at RG but he’s not a guard. He’s not a good Tackle either. Signing him was a big mistake (some of us knew it when it happened). If they are testing him at Right Guard then that either means that Anchrum isn’t that good or they are desperate to find a spot for Noteboom to backup or start.

They need to keep McClendon Thomas and McCallister on the roster and Noteboom is putting a big kink in that plan.

Centers & OT's will likely be needed for injury replacement prior to the trade deadline.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
starts but it would be nice to have our "starting" 5 together sooner than later to gain some cohesiveness.
Yep. That is what worries me most. Whatever the final 5 end up being, there won't be any chemistry.

TexasRam

Legend
Two other Oline thoughts:

1. Avila - I think Avila is going to need some work on recognizing which pass rusher to pickup. NFL defenses are sneaky and he has a little bit of work in this area as you can see on his college film and in the preseason. But his recovery is so quick it should be minimized until he can improve there.

2. Noteboom - I think Boom is a little better then we sometimes give him credit for. He has really turned in some solid games vs top pass rushers and stood in well for Whitworth in big time games for us. I agree he is subpar as a guard in the run game but he is an asset in pass pro even when inside. Especially compared to someone like Shelton or possibly even Anchrum. I don't think a trade would be wise considering the value of a depth guy with experience on the Oline, and I am not going to be surprised if he gets the start at RG and holds up well in pass pro.