OL this year (How it looks right now)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Sounds like everything is just about settled except C at this point...LT AJax, LG Avila, C Shelton/Allen, RG Anchrum, RT Hav...

Sounds good to me...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I thought the TE mistimed his jump on that throw. Looked like a good throw. Line gave Bennett some time on that TD pass.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Bennett looked shaky at times. Decisions were questionable. Got lucky twice on throws that shoulda been picked. Caught a break extending the drive with that dump penalty on the Charger player. But I can see some things in Bennett's game that makes you think he might be a viable backup. No one expected him to come in look sharp in his first ever game.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
To me, just based on playing time, I'd guess Boom is the starter at RG.

Anchrum was playing well into 4th quarter. Whit seemed to be implying Boom would be lined up next to Hav.

I'd just be surprised if McVay was going to risk a potential starter all the way into late 3rd quarter of a preseason game.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
To me, just based on playing time, I'd guess Boom is the starter at RG.

Anchrum was playing well into 4th quarter. Whit seemed to be implying Boom would be lined up next to Hav.

I'd just be surprised if McVay was going to risk a potential starter all the way into late 3rd quarter of a preseason game.
Anchrum has only played 1 play in the regular season, and has never even practiced with the first team offense until this year, so McVay just wants him to be comfortable with his assignment, plus he has taken the majority of the first team snaps at LG in practice.
Don’t even try to convince any us that Noteboom will start instead at LG, as we’ve all seen Noteboom play guard before and he was inept in blocking on rushing downs. Right now McVay has made it plain he wants Joe trained at multiple spots along the Oline for backup purposes only.

muggmeister

Rookie
If Bruss isn't the 1st player cut then McVay needs his head examined. We do not need another Bobby Evans 2.0 piece of shit o-lineman on the roster just because we spent a fairly high draft pick on him. Why is it that EVERYBODY can see these 2 are not fit for the NFL but McVay thinks they deserve/deserved a roster spot? Sign Dalton Risner to play RG and let Noteboom and McClendon be backup tackles. If McVay continues to roll with Bruss in the preseason then we won't even have a backup QB going into the season.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If Bruss isn't the 1st player cut then McVay needs his head examined. We do not need another Bobby Evans 2.0 piece of shit o-lineman on the roster just because we spent a fairly high draft pick on him. Why is it that EVERYBODY can see these 2 are not fit for the NFL but McVay thinks they deserve/deserved a roster spot? Sign Dalton Risner to play RG and let Noteboom and McClendon be backup tackles. If McVay continues to roll with Bruss in the preseason then we won't even have a backup QB going into the season.
I doubt they will cut bait with their first pick from last year's draft so soon. They waited till year 4 to cut Evans. My guess is they are moving him around trying to find the best fit for him. Obviously right tackle is not it.

He'll probably be moving down the depth chart after last night's performance. I just hope it doesn't come down to him being the only option at right tackle due to injuries. Imagine what someone like Bosa would do to Stafford?

WestCoastRam

Legend
They kept Anchrum in all game...

You don't really do that with your starters. I'd say Noteboom's got a really strong chance to take the right guard spot from him in practices with the Raiders coming up.

Maybe Anchrum has looked decent and gotten all the snaps at RG in camp but now that Noteboom has lost out on LT, they feel he offers more there?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Jeebus I hope not. Boom was a bust (yep :sunglasses: ) at guard last time we saw him there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As discussed prior in the camp thread the alarming tell with Bruss was them completely removing him from the OG competition. That speaks to them being one of two things:

1. Underwhelmed by him.
2. Concerned with his status coming back from that injury.

Either one of those is concerning. And even with his poor performance there is room for it to be related to the second reason. So it's not like I'm gonna cut bait on the dude in early year two. BUT what this effectively means is that we can't count on him to help us out this season. And his chances of busting are quite severe, I would not put any money on this guy getting it together.

Because of his draft status he will probably make the team and they'll keep working with him to fix whatever his issues are. Reason I am quite negative on this is that he lacks the feet for the edge, and has already been shitcanned from OG competition, so that means he's quite low on the depth stacking. Whoever is the primary backup at any of those other positions is ahead of him on the rack 'n stack.

On the positive side of things Jackson might be ok at LT. Which would be a windfall to find that position where they did, and in fact it would help counter a very underwhelming draft history for this regime with the OL. RG looks to be that position where we will need Anchrum to own it and if he does not do that then we get subjected to Boom. And maybe that works this time around. Maybe after five seasons in the league (or however long it's been too lazy to look it up) he's ready to actually plug in for us and survive opponents gameplanning for him. But I'll feel a lot better if Anchrum can win that job.

Memphis Ram

Legend
My question:

Can this team really afford to hold roster spots for a guy who can only play center (Allen) AND a guy who might be able to only play RT (Bruss) at the same time? Perhaps one, but both??

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My question:

Can this team really afford to hold roster spots for a guy who can only play center (Allen) AND a guy who might be able to only play RT (Bruss) at the same time? Perhaps one, but both??
Yes. Bruss looks like he's 9 on the depth chart right now. Generally we'll keep at least that many.

1. Avila
2. Havenstein
3. Jackson
4. Allen
5. Anchrum
6. Noteboom
7. Shelton
8. McClendon
9. Bruss

But that is precarious real estate for a lineman. So from there you can end up cut if one of the UDFAs impresses enough to overcome the hope and promise in the minds of the decision makers re: your draft status. Bruss being a 3rd round pick will almost surely keep him around, that plus him coming back from injury. Worst case they would make up some bullshit about a setback and IR him if they had to, something like that. So I wouldn't call him safe but he's probably gonna make the cut.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Zach Thomas keeps playing the way he is... gonna be real hard to put him on practice squad without someone grabbing him. Right now (if we take draft status out of it), I don't see how you keep Bruss over Thomas.

And McClendon looks like a revelation. Even when he gets beat, still gets in the way of the rusher.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm a little surprised McClendon not being praised more. He seems like almost a guy you start RT away or a back up way way better than Bruss RT now and he seems very road graterish .......what were your guys overall thoughts on him a bit more polishing and he could be a steal no?