OL Depth following the trade for Dotson ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I call BS on ALL FRONTS!! West Coast Ram & his Jourdon fetus.

Bottom line is exactly what Sean Mcvay said when asked about Dotson.They like what they’ve seen in him & they’re (The Rams) are not going to let what happened last season happen again in 2023. (Lesson Learned).

-I can go back to my Big 5 days & all through it.I lost a Rod bet to BubbaRam in 2019 because of how Mcvay & Kromer went about that group.

Can anyone say Bobby Evans?

Noteboom is a solid LT when healthy & has he ever shown he can play anywhere else.

Let’s keep going Alaric Jackson has earned the LT spot & IMO is The Rams best RG bar-none.

Anchrum maybe The Rams best RG(A’Jackson),but he played 1 play as a starter & got injured.So he has proven NOTHING!! He has earned the starting RG spot & Nig Rob feels comfortable with him there.

Can we say Rams best Drafted O’Lineman since ???

McCleddon is still a pup & Noteboom is going to have to be swing Tackle(LT-RT).

Shelton could play guard,but why ? Now on game day ? Yes & will be part of the 48.

Zack Thomas is a mauler,but is very limited.He earned his spot.

—The is only 1 maybe 2 reasons for all this.To make sure Matthew Stafford (Cam Akers)stays healthy !
How old's this kid of mine, anyways?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’m sticking by my prediction of Dotson starting more games at RG than anyone else this season… especially after today’s quote from Snead…

“Asked about Los Angeles' vision for Dotson initially, Snead said they are first trying to get him up to speed given the timing of his arrival. From that point, they will figure out he fits and what the Rams' best starting five ends up being along the way.”

oldnotdead

Legend
Regardless of where Dotson plays, be it left or right OG, I see him as a day one starter. This will give the first time that the Ram OL has two OGs that give them a strong run game between the tackles where they want to run. Both Avila and Dotson are stronger at run blocking than pass blocking. Having Dotson bodes well for the run game. A strong inside run game will do wonders for Stafford's play action as I've always contended. If Stafford's arm holds up this offense will cook.

The fact the Rams targeted Dotson so early this year tells me a lot about where they really want Noteboom. I've always felt and even more so now that they want Joe at RT more than RG. This OL is big! Jackson and Havenstein are big guys outside now with Dotson and Avila they are also big inside. The OL will make this offense one of the best in the league. This is not a dink and dunk offense, it's built to get chunk yardage in both the passing game and the run attack. Akers and Evans are built to do just that.

With this OL the Rams now have an offense to outgun the Niners. People here don't seem to realize that the Niners not only are suspect at QB, but they lost RT McGlinchey an anchor on their OL. They also lost safety Jimmie Ward, CB Emannuel Mosely, DE Charles Omenihu, OLB Samson Ebukam, key rotational players LB Azeez Al-Shaair, OL Daniel Brunskill and DT Hassan Ridgeway. They are still a good team but it wouldn't surprise me if the Rams swept them this year. They are still a good team but IMO not the dominating team they have been.

IMO this OL will give the Rams the balance they had offensively back in 2018. If the defense can play just simply above average, this team is a playoff team.

TexasRam

Legend
Regardless of where Dotson plays, be it left or right OG, I see him as a day one starter. This will give the first time that the Ram OL has two OGs that give them a strong run game between the tackles where they want to run. Both Avila and Dotson are stronger at run blocking than pass blocking. Having Dotson bodes well for the run game. A strong inside run game will do wonders for Stafford's play action as I've always contended. If Stafford's arm holds up this offense will cook.

The fact the Rams targeted Dotson so early this year tells me a lot about where they really want Noteboom. I've always felt and even more so now that they want Joe at RT more than RG. This OL is big! Jackson and Havenstein are big guys outside now with Dotson and Avila they are also big inside. The OL will make this offense one of the best in the league. This is not a dink and dunk offense, it's built to get chunk yardage in both the passing game and the run attack. Akers and Evans are built to do just that.

With this OL the Rams now have an offense to outgun the Niners. People here don't seem to realize that the Niners not only are suspect at QB, but they lost RT McGlinchey an anchor on their OL. They also lost safety Jimmie Ward, CB Emannuel Mosely, DE Charles Omenihu, OLB Samson Ebukam, key rotational players LB Azeez Al-Shaair, OL Daniel Brunskill and DT Hassan Ridgeway. They are still a good team but it wouldn't surprise me if the Rams swept them this year. They are still a good team but IMO not the dominating team they have been.

IMO this OL will give the Rams the balance they had offensively back in 2018. If the defense can play just simply above average, this team is a playoff team.
I do like the beef at the guard spots. I hope Dotson does eventually get a shot and we can really dominate in the run game. I agree it will open up the whole offense.

I still think center and LT are suspect. They can probably hold up vs mediocre fronts but vs the nastier defenses I don't know.

Jackson looks good thus far. But I doubt he can anywhere near a prime Whitworth where he shuts down the top pass rushers.

One weak link will cause the whole chain to break. We have more then a few spots that can fail and a ton riding on a rookie.

The Niners did lose some guys but they also strengthened their front 4 with Hargrave and still have a ton of talent on that defense with Warner, Bosa, Armstead, Greenlaw, Hufanga, C. Ward.

Purdy is no longer a rookie and they always scout and coach up their Olinemen real well.

So we will see. It would be nice if we didn't get our yearly ass spanking.

muggmeister

Rookie
Really surprised Bruss is still on the team. Still wouldn't surprise me if they release him.
^$^#&*%($(*^^#%@%*(*$*#&*^%@&*(@&*%!$@#!%&*#&*%*&%*%* FUCK! I already saw the original movie, "The Bobby Evans Story". I don't want to see another remake called "The Logan Bruss" story, or "The Greg Robinson Story", "The Jason Smith Story" or the future "The Joe Noteboom Story". Tired of this team hanging on to shit lineman just because they drafted them and some scout saw some relevance they displayed in college. THIS AIN"T FUCKING COLLEGE! They might need to spend some of Kroenke's money on some additional scouts instead of the luxury boxes at So-Fi Stadium.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
^$^#&*%($(*^^#%@%*(*$*#&*^%@&*(@&*%!$@#!%&*#&*%*&%*%* FUCK! I already saw the original movie, "The Bobby Evans Story". I don't want to see another remake called "The Logan Bruss" story, or "The Greg Robinson Story", "The Jason Smith Story" or the future "The Joe Noteboom Story". Tired of this team hanging on to shit lineman just because they drafted them and some scout saw some relevance they displayed in college. THIS AIN"T FUCKING COLLEGE! They might need to spend some of Kroenke's money on some additional scouts instead of the luxury boxes at So-Fi Stadium.

Dude, calm down. Seriously. It doesn't cost a damn thing to have Bruss on the practice squad. Next year, if he shows no sign of improvement, I'll gladly cut him, but right now, we're talking about a second day pick who was injured his entire rookie year and has started only three preseason games. Maybe he isn't the starter you and I envisioned, but to give up on the guy now when he could be something is a mistake.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I agree with Memento....breath. In. Out. In. Out.

First off, your comparisons are waaaaaaaay off. Robinson and Smith were 1st round picks.....top 2....joining a team that needed A LOT of help. Noteboom, joining a team that went 11-5 and would be in the Superbowl his rookie year, was a 3rd round pick and despite the hate among Ram fans, has played well when healthy. I really SMH at fans who say "he sucks, can't play". When he's healthy he's better than average. Not stellar. Not Pro Bowl bound. Better than average, which is a valuable commodity in the NFL. But after all he is a 3rd round pick they developed. Bruss was 2 picks shy of the 4th round, a half round lower than Noteboom. Not #2 overall like Jason Smith and Greg Robinson. #one-oh-fucking-4. We have time to see if he's usable. Practice squad pay? Come on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I already saw the original movie, "The Bobby Evans Story". I don't want to see another remake called "The Logan Bruss" story, or "The Greg Robinson Story", "The Jason Smith Story" or the future "The Joe Noteboom Story".
6/10 rant but you should've saved that for the week one vent thread. :laugh3:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's why freeballin is the way.

oldnotdead

Legend
Dotson really changes the equation on the OL when paired with Avila. Dotson could very well be another Corbett type reclamation, but IMO Dotson has a higher ceiling than Austin.

Allen is underrated as a center. He's very intelligent and knowledgeable, and you can see how he has developed.

Noteboom when he's healthy he is a very good OT. I'm sure we will see him next year at RT. Jackson is still rough around the edges and needs to polish up his technique and strengthen. His footwork isn't up to par simply because he's inconsistent. That will come with experience. One of the reasons I see Dotson staying at LG is because of Jackson's inexperience he can help Jackson with things like stunts. It's the same reason I see Avila at RG because Rob's experience will help Steve.

Jackson, Dotson, Allen, Avila, and Havenstein make up a pretty good OL with a whole lot of beef inside and length outside. The OL is the key to the offense, and I see Stafford having time to cook and Akers having holes to run through. If Akers stays healthy he will get his 1K yd season behind this OL. Even without all world Kupp this is a deep WR corps.

Witherspoon and Shelley change the equation in the secondary as much as Dotson and Avila on the OL. They now have a veteran secondary with 2nd year Durant. SCB is the most difficult CB position to play. To now have Shelley is huge. If he can lock down the Y WR the secondary if played aggressively could be very good.

The DL would be very good if they simply can the two gap NT and play a one gap DL. Murchison and Brown will look better as will Donald. VanValkenburg could be a real find. If Hoecht or Young struggle he can step in and play both run and pass well. I think Young will be fine as the Donald effect will help him as he develops. Both Young and Hoecht will improve as the season progresses.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Dotson played RG in college. I can’t see Avila being moved from LG so, once Dotson is up to speed, it’s going to be Jackson, Avila, Allen, Dotson and Rob from left to right.

Anchrum may start at RG until Dotson is ready.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Dotson played RG in college. I can’t see Avila being moved from LG so, once Dotson is up to speed, it’s going to be Jackson, Avila, Allen, Dotson and Rob from left to right.

Anchrum may start at RG until Dotson is ready.
Agree that it's unlikely the Rams move Avila from LG to the right-side at this time.

Also, Dotson has played Right Guard in the NFL. There is tape and highlights readily available that show him at RG when Roethlisberger was playing QB.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I like the low key additions but without a real pass rush and not only will the defense get scored on but often you can't have an average to way below average pass rush and expect very young corners and a couple of average veterans to hold it down on the back end obviously the pass rush is TBD but I think we all know if it's even average we will be super excited. Then we don't even know about the run defense yet so we will have to keep the defense off score a lot that's the only road I see with some luck included. I do think if you should acquire a real pass rusher then the team can really surprise. This of course is all pending that our offensive line is good.

oldnotdead

Legend
Dotson played RG in college.
That's true but he was a starter at LG for the Steelers for 26 games over two years. The Rams loved Avila's run blocking pre-draft and RG is a team's primary run blocking OG. That could change next year but because of the lack of time, I would be surprised if they moved Dotson to RG. Muscle memory is real and it takes more than a couple of weeks to transition. Avila has been rotating between OG positions since OTAs he far more prepared to make the transition.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
That's true but he was a starter at LG for the Steelers for 26 games over two years. The Rams loved Avila's run blocking pre-draft and RG is a team's primary run blocking OG. That could change next year but because of the lack of time, I would be surprised if they moved Dotson to RG. Muscle memory is real and it takes more than a couple of weeks to transition. Avila has been rotating between OG positions since OTAs he far more prepared to make the transition.
All perfectly valid points; we’ll see.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dotson was brought in to be depth at both guards spots as he's played in both spots and McVay has his starters at both guard spots. Hopefully we never need to go to depth starters with everybody staying healthy and playing well.

dang

Legend
I was quietly pounding the table for Dalton Risner without knowing what his asking price or current level of play was. I just thought if Bruss failed (and he did) then Anchrum was just not enough at RG. I’m happy the Rams added to the OG corp. Maybe not a stud but at least good depth and a. Best a better starting RG.