Okay, my self imposed 48 hour Tavon moratorium is over...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wanted to savor the big win over the Cowboys along with everybody else. And Tavon’s contributions to the win.

Here are Tavon’s stats in that game. [www.nfl.com]

Six runs for 48 yards. His best game in a long time.

One reception for -2 yards (because Dallas was sitting on him).

Three PR for a total of 18 yards. Longest being 7 yards. No fumbles. Cough, cough.

I believe I read that he had something like 22 total snaps. If true, then the remaining 12 snaps he was a decoy. Not a bad thing, btw.

Cooper Kupp, by way of comparison, quietly had 5 receptions for 60 yards and a TD, longest of 24 yards. And did some danged fine blocking on his other snaps. No need to mention Gurley’s contributions, is there?

McVay has indicated that we will carry 7 WR’s now with the return of Thomas. I get that. That gives us the best 6 WR’s (Tavon is a RB in my mind, now). And I trust McVay on O matters implicitly, for obvious reasons.

What to conclude?

Here are my thoughts...

McVay is doing his best to utilize Tavon in his O, given that a trade or release are not viable options this year due to his contract. It’s really that simple.

Yeah, Tavon has decoy value. But to imply that Gurley (and others) would not be able to be extremely effective without Tavon there to distract the D is simply not accurate, IMO.

We should ask ourselves these questions:

How to explain the production of others when Tavon isn’t on the field? Cause that Tavon-less production is considerable.
Isn’t McVay fully capable of creating favorable mismatches for our other players if Tavon is on the sideline? Of course he is.
Goff has a ton of quality weapons to utilize when Tavon is off the field. A DC’s nightmare arsenal, actually.
What is the hidden cost when another player such as Kupp has to come off the field to accommodate Tavon?
Have you seen our OL lately? Any doubt that they can open holes for Gurley if Tavon is off the field?
I would love to see more snaps for Everett since I think he’s gonna be a star in our future. Harder to do if Tavon is on the field.

Look, I don’t hate Tavon. And I’m pulling for his success as long as he’s a Ram. But I think his days as a Ram are numbered. Maybe even before this season is over if the Rams have been showcasing him for a trade (an internet rumor?). And I think that his value as a decoy/RB are overrated by some.

So, I intend to enjoy his contributions this season. But I look forward to the contributions of our many other weapons, as well. Especially those of Kupp and Everett. They are our future.

I think that this Tavon thing will sort itself out by next offseason, one way or another.

James Otto

Starter
I don't know for sure, but I think Tavon is going to be here for a long time. I'm not sure Dunbar will ever see the field as a Ram. Looks like they are/should convert Tavon into a RB.

They will likely ask him to take a paycut and I believe he will, he's not going to get that kind of money anywhere else and he can play for a winner here. Just look at Tavon on the field and on the sideline - this guy LOVES playing football and he LOVES his teammates.

I can easily see him as a 500-600 yards on the ground kind of player. Once he learns the offense, he should be able to take some of the burden off of Gurley. He can also catch 20-30 passes and once they work him into the middle of the field, watch out.

His value as a decoy - he made that 53 yard pass play to Gurley happen. There were two LB's near Gurley and one had to come up to respect Tavon. Gurley one on one with a LB? That's laughable.

I cannot wait until we see Tavon and Gurley lined up in the backfield, TOGETHER! You KNOW that is coming.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Tavon has exceptional skills as a gadget player. Every team needs one of those. But you don't move up to draft them in the first round and you don't pay them what he's being paid. Unless he really asserts himself and becomes that weapon we've been envisioning for the past 5 seasons, I don't see him returning next season.

When they signed Woods, drafted Kupp and traded for Watkins, that tells me they did not have faith in his ability to be a go to receiver. So far he hasn't done enough to make us think otherwise. I don't know what the cap ramifications would be but I'd be surprised to see him back next season unless he takes a big pay cut. Watkins should be the priority.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great... just what we need... another Austin thread.
:palm:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That's the great thing about the internet.
If you don't click on something you can avoid it entirely.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great... just what we need... another Austin thread.
:palm:
My thoughts exactly. Tavon is quickly becoming the new Sam Bradford.....

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The thought police are in full force today.

So being a little tired of an endless topic that is completely overblown and stating that its tiresome makes people the "thought police?".

Do you realize that by making that statement, you just did the very thing you are accusing others of doing?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Tavon’s 2018 cap hit will be 8 million with $3 mil in base salary and $5 mil in guaranteed roster bonus. His 2018 compensation currently ranks 6th on the team (likely to change after FA and hopefully resigning of Donald).

If the Rams part ways with him in 2018 they will still have to take a cap hit of $5 mil in dead money (his guaranteed 2018 roster bonus). If the Rams part ways with him in 2019 there will be no dead money cap hit and they will not be on the hook for his $9.35 mil salary.

I do not see the Rams trading him this year because they would also have to also eat his 2018 $5 mill guaranteed roster bonus in dead money and they do not have the cap room for that.

Note: I like having a player like Tavon on the roster and at least he ads some value to the team but his salary is just not commensurate with his value. As a reminder his 2017 cap hit is $14,977,116 and his dead money cap hit if cut would have been $19,977,116.

Note 2: His contract extension is probably one of the worst financial decisions in player management I have seen by the Rams.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So being a little tired of an endless topic that is completely overblown and stating that its tiresome makes people the "thought police?".

Do you realize that by making that statement, you just did the very thing you are accusing others of doing?
I'm not the one trying to put a kibosh on a thread so no, I'm sticking up for freedom of speech.

Again if you're not interested in a subject don't click on it but the people that are clicking on it and reading it are obviously wanting to read it but if they're clicking it on it to put a kibosh on it that's just weird to me.

Trying to manipulate a conversation by calling it a dead horse or whatever is simply trying to restrict somebody's interest in communicating.

Flat out.
I'm actually surprised I have to explain this to people.

Simply put if you don't want to talk about a situation don't click on the post, simple as that.

It is called self-regulation.

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Will say that his decoy value is apparent with our other pieces trying the learn the nuances of McVay's offense. Although once our receiving group mostly understands the system and that the cap hit for Austin's contract subsides, he will be an expendable piece.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So being a little tired of an endless topic that is completely overblown and stating that its tiresome
I guess it never even occurred to you guys to not click on this topic, did it?

Try it sometime.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
My thoughts exactly. Tavon is quickly becoming the new Sam Bradford.....

Seriously... Worst part about these threads are, we're winning! TA is playing fine atm. They are slowly working him into the game plans. By end of season I expect him to be one of the many Rams weapons that keep Defensive coordinators up at night.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
McVay is doing his best to utilize Tavon in his O, given that a trade or release are not viable options this year due to his contract. It’s really that simple.

Yeah, Tavon has decoy value. But to imply that Gurley (and others) would not be able to be extremely effective without Tavon there to distract the D is simply not accurate, IMO.
Not sure...just yet...but his value as that fly sweeper was even used in the Schotty days...the Boras days...and the Cignetti days....this play worked even when they were calling it...Just in that sense, it has extreme value. LOL Seriously.

And I think that his value as a decoy/RB are overrated by some.
Again....lets see what his impact is...in some tougher DEFENSIVE games....Seattle, Jags, Cards....should be some insight into whether he's a piece needed going forward.

I can't wait to see Tavon, Watkins, Everett and others up to full speed....I'm superstitious...I wouldn't change a damn thing....hell, I don't even know if I want Mike Thomas added to the offense. LOL ....and I really like Thomas.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like having Tavon as a weapon. Just imagine playing against him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well as everyone knows I am in agreement @Rams43. Been saying it and saying it. But whatever. Who knows, maybe Tavon will make some of us eat an enormous MFing plate of crow. And believe me, I would welcome that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I honestly don't know why anyone would care about Tavon's utilization or his snaps or his money or his stats. We don't make the personnel decisions or devise the gameplans or sign his checks. Of course that doesn't preclude anyone from caring or worrying about those things. It's just odd to me.

He's a Ram. He likes being a Ram. He works. He keeps his nose clean. Hes stupid fast. And he can play football at this level. If it's not in McVay's plans to feature him every game, then that's his choice. If Tavon isn't cut out for this offense, then that too will work itself out. Until then, I'll just be a fan. Not the GM, not the OC, not the HC, and not the CFO.

You go, ya little waterbug. I know I'm always fairly amped when I see you get the ball. There's always a chance you're going to do something spectacular. Fielding punts notwithstanding...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Not sure...just yet...but his value as that fly sweeper was even used in the Schotty days...the Boras days...and the Cignetti days....this play worked even when they were calling it...Just in that sense, it has extreme value. LOL Seriously.

Again....lets see what his impact is...in some tougher DEFENSIVE games....Seattle, Jags, Cards....should be some insight into whether he's a piece needed going forward.

I can't wait to see Tavon, Watkins, Everett and others up to full speed....I'm superstitious...I wouldn't change a damn thing....hell, I don't even know if I want Mike Thomas added to the offense. LOL ....and I really like Thomas.

that's literally the only thing that worked in their offensive schemes. haha