Okay fine, what about LT ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Teams have to count on development of players every season, it is just not the Rams.

And if Grob keeps struggling they have some options. Battle has the length and feet for LT. And Williams impressed the staff on the edge too. Only true need on this OL is center.

Hope we can address C AND TE in draft

tavian

I'm just posting facts and wondering why only a small few are on the same page as me. Grob barely improved and still can't pass block worth a damn. Im baffled that any of you think we'll do better than 7-9. I'm over it though, I'll flag this one and pull it up 9 months from now with a capital I TOLD YOU SO. Lol. And it's Guinness not zima yo, I don't drink that girly sht.

The truth is nobody knows how he is going to develop .He could a pro bowler or he could be a bust.
You can play the I told you so game if you want to,but your going to lose more than you win.Why?
Because this the NFL and nothing ever happens the way you think it will.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Our OL is being way overlooked and I'm baffled. We do have young talent at RG and RT, but what about the rest? Barnes at C majority seems to love, fine but I'm not one. Saffold at OG will only play 8 games and get hurt, so then what? and what does that make his avg salary per game? Way more than Osemele or Brooks or Bushrod got/will get in fa..

And the biggest question mark of all? LT. So how are we set on OL whe. we can't pass protect worth a damn. Even the seahawks pass more then 40% of the time, it just isn't possible to pass less than that and win games.
It wouldn't hurt to draft a good Back-up, Like say Spriggs from Indiana!! He had a real good combine and is rated to go around 42 in round 2!!:D

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He may have got shut down,but that doesn't mean he was wrong.Barnes is the weak link on the oiline until he can
prove otherwise.Either side you fall under doesn't matter because this is a forum.A place for healthy debate.Not a place
to take shots at people for their opinions.
To say Barnes is a/the weak link on our Oline is a fair statement. To say he sucks and it's pointless to resign him is a statement that is unfair and untrue. Clearly Barnes is liked by most fans and more importantly the Rams. Do I think that we could do better, possibly, but I don't know if we could. Yes a healthy debate, to title a thread "Okay fine, what about our LT" is not looking for a healthy debate. To say anyone in horns sucks or is a bust and we should move on and spend in FA over and over again regardless of counter posts in this forum is not engaged in a healthy debate. Have you read any of his posts, especially the one recently about how he cant wait for another 7-9 season so he can rub it in, that is really healthy.

tavian

To say Barnes is a/the weak link on our Oline is a fair statement. To say he sucks and it's pointless to resign him is a statement that is unfair and untrue. Clearly Barnes is liked by most fans and more importantly the Rams. Do I think that we could do better, possibly, but I don't know if we could. Yes a healthy debate, to title a thread "Okay fine, what about our LT" is not looking for a healthy debate. To say anyone in horns sucks or is a bust and we should move on and spend in FA over and over again regardless of counter posts in this forum is not engaged in a healthy debate. Have you read any of his posts, especially the one recently about how he cant wait for another 7-9 season so he can rub it in, that is really healthy.

Fair enough.your right I haven't read his other post..didn't realize .my bad.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm just posting facts and wondering why only a small few are on the same page as me. Grob barely improved and still can't pass block worth a damn. Im baffled that any of you think we'll do better than 7-9. I'm over it though, I'll flag this one and pull it up 9 months from now with a capital I TOLD YOU SO. Lol. And it's Guinness not zima yo, I don't drink that girly sht.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and was never a big fan of the pick. Its simple though, GRob is your LT next year whether you like it or not. He improved last year, albeit not as much as you/I would of liked but he did. They are not going to mess around with him though and they shouldnt. He has potential to be great and lots of room for improvement. This coming year will be a big year for him and I hope he can take his game to the next level.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm just posting facts and wondering why only a small few are on the same page as me.
Uh... no you're not. You are posting opinion based on what you feel you saw or read. Simple rule of thumb is to not think your opinion is fact or the only fact.
Not a place to take shots at people for their opinions.
Generally when someone posts their opinion as fact, it tends to get a harsher response. That is mostly IMO what you are seeing here. It's all fine to discuss what you see missing or moves you'd like to make or areas you see a need for improvement. But calling out our players and insinuating that it is fact that they need to be replaced is not only arrogant but not a real good starting position to have an open discussion.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Grob will have a big year in 2017, just in time to cash in on a new contract. Isn't that the way it usually works out?
so you're predicting GRob will be a NY Giant in 2018?:(

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Who says Saffold is guaranteed the starting LG spot? Reynolds outplayed him last year and settled down Grob when he played LG. IMO it's more likely Saffold is our backup of LT if GROB struggles or gets hurt, so we don't have to rely on those glass shoulders.

GROB has progressed though and has never had injury issues. So I expect him to take a step forward

Remember after year 2 people were quick to call Tavon a bust, but after year three he definitely our second biggest offensive threat and one of the more versatile players in the league. You have to give these talented high upside guys time to develop.

tavian

Uh... no you're not. You are posting opinion based on what you feel you saw or read. Simple rule of thumb is to not think your opinion is fact or the only fact.

Generally when someone posts their opinion as fact, it tends to get a harsher response. That is mostly IMO what you are seeing here. It's all fine to discuss what you see missing or moves you'd like to make or areas you see a need for improvement. But calling out our players and insinuating that it is fact that they need to be replaced is not only arrogant but not a real good starting position to have an open discussion.
yea.I hadnt read his previous postings.so I was out of line on this one a bit.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Just going to have to hope the light comes on for GRob.

I hadn't heard "lack of dedication to his craft" before. That is concerning.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My expectation at OG is Wichmann and Brown starting. Wich got his feet wet down the stretch and will be in the mix I think.

Saffold and Reynolds make a great duo to come off the bench if needed. Cut Roger next year.

tavian

My expectation at OG is Wichmann and Brown starting. Wich got his feet wet down the stretch and will be in the mix I think.

Saffold and Reynolds make a great duo to come off the bench if needed. Cut Roger next year.

Reynolds was one of our best linemen last year.Dont see him conceding to anybody yet.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
yea.I hadnt read his previous postings.so I was out of line on this one a bit.
And in general I would have agreed with what you said. Taking shots at people for their opinion is weak and not something we encourage here.

Cheers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's got room to improve... But among my concerns, GRob is pretty far down the list.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Reynolds was one of our best linemen last year.Dont see him conceding to anybody yet.
I
I agree, that's why I'm not that worried about Saffold...I kind of think he won't be the starter at G unless he does something super human before the season.
I do, however, think he's great as depth at 4 OL positions...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Who says Saffold is guaranteed the starting LG spot? Reynolds outplayed him last year and settled down Grob when he played LG. IMO it's more likely Saffold is our backup of LT if GROB struggles or gets hurt, so we don't have to rely on those glass shoulders.

GROB has progressed though and has never had injury issues. So I expect him to take a step forward

Remember after year 2 people were quick to call Tavon a bust, but after year three he definitely our second biggest offensive threat and one of the more versatile players in the league. You have to give these talented high upside guys time to develop.

Agree with you 100%(y).

Rams are thick at the OLG position. Rams utilized Jamon Brown, Rodger Saffold, Andrew Donnal, some small amounts of Cody Wichmann & Demetrius Rhaney then settled on Garrett Reynolds. The best play that we observed coming from that OG cadre was by far Garrett Reynolds. On top of that Garrett seemed to work best teamed up with GRob. Point is everyone of those mentioned OG's are under Rams contract in 2016. I have never seen a OL post so loaded.

Now if in fact Reynolds is the best most effective starting OLG as he was in 2015 why would we expect him not be continue on with what was effective late last season this season. I was under the impression that this OL was seriously in need of remaining the same unit? If what I have said is factual then Rams need to find a replacement for what Garrett was signed to be in 2015 .....our best top game day reserve. Wonder which OL the Rams have who has started at four OL post for this team?:whistle:

Saffold was the starting left OT for three seasons. Saffold started 35 NFL games @ OLT. Saffold started 41 games @ OLT in college. Looks to me that a slimmed down less powerful still recovering Saffold might very well be in his lightest weight since arriving here his rookie season. We might want to recall that Saffold became very bettlejuiced putting on some serious muscle & pounds growing into a 6-5 340 plus OG late in 2014 guess he just grew out of a OLT sized OL'er. This should be a interesting position discussion for Saffold who is recovering from back to back shoulder reconstructions in 2015. looks to me Saffold is the perfect back up for GRob & most other OL post on Game Day. Ever think that GRob might also continue trending upward in his on field performance in 2016?

Then we are even in better shape here with two second yr OLT's in Darrell Williams & Isaiah Battle. That four OLT's right there. When have the Rams ever been this thick @ OLT? I sure do not see any reason to be worried about this very important OL post. Please tell me where I am wrong?

Last edited: