Ok let's try for Trent Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Browns will explore LTs Trent Williams and Jason Peters now that Williams can seek a trade and Peters will be free
Updated Mar 06, 2020; Posted Mar 05, 2020
Trent Williams

Redskins LT Trent Williams can seek a trade after a contentious last year with the Washington management.AP

shares
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns are casting a wide net in their search for an heir apparent to Joe Thomas, and they’ll explore two big fish that landed in the net Thursday in Redskins seven-time Pro Bowl left tackle Trent Williams and Eagles nine-time Pro Bowler Jason Peters.
Williams, 31, has been given permission to seek a trade, ESPN’s Dianna Russini reported on Thursday, and the Eagles announced that Peters will hit the free agent market on March 18. Both players are represented by agent Vince Taylor.

One could land with the Browns, who have strong connections to both players and will explore each along with all other options in their quest to improve the roster and protect Baker Mayfield.
Williams has an ally in Cleveland in new offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who coached him in Washington from 2015-18. Williams sat out all last season in a medical dispute with the Redskins for what he felt was the mishandling of a growth on his head that turned out to be cancerous and was removed.
Williams is healthy now, and could offer the Browns another potential future Hall of Famer at the position. He has one year left on his contract at $12.5 million and will want a long-term blockbuster extension with his new team.

"I’m just happy this situation seems to be heading towards an end,'' Williams told ESPN’s John Keim.
Browns will let Joe Schobert walk in free agency

I didn't realize he had a cancer growth on top of his head. He hasn't been totally reliable over his career.

Rams don't have the resources to trade and resign him.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of College LOT move to guard in the NFL. I don't see a LOT in the bunch besides Whitworth. Noteboom is unproven at LO T and I don't think he's strong enough to be effective
Boom is different than most tackles though as he's more of a finesse, agile guy. He'd do much better against edge rushers then big ol defensive tackles. Also, boom played LOT in college.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
None of those add up to one Williams. Whit is regressing. Boom is still rehabbing he sucked in run blocking. Evans I like him but he always got help and he and Edwards are not in same zip code as Williams.

Well, if my math is correct, TW has missed 40 games in the last 10 years. Including all 16 last year due to cancer.

And some think he would be a good Ram value at $18M per? Gimme a break.

oldnotdead

Legend
I vote NO!!

He's 32 years old and expects to be paid like a franchise LT. Also there is the real issue of cancer. Yes the tumor was removed, but it remains to be seen how healthy he will be over the next several years. Talk about a red flags, age and disease.

Enough of these old guys. They have Noteboom, Edwards and Evans. This team is saddled with Havenstein and it's their biggest cap issue right now. He's taking up $7.8M and plays like a scrub.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reading Redskins fans say TW wants an extension for 20 million a year. Hard pass.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Boom is different than most tackles though as he's more of a finesse, agile guy. He'd do much better against edge rushers then big ol defensive tackles. Also, boom played LOT in college.

Until I see it he's not to be relied on. All we have to go on is what he's showed us at guard, which wasn't impressive. I guess if Joe ever does get to be the a Rams OLT, then running left will be out of the question.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Until I see it he's not to be relied on. All we have to go on is what he's showed us at guard, which wasn't impressive. I guess if Joe ever does get to be the a Rams OLT, then running left will be out of the question.
Well he played some at LOT as a rookie and gave up no pressures

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trent Williams? Eek... Maybe we can see if Jake Long wants to give it another go while we're at it

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Whit.....old
Boom.....broken
Evans....untested at LT and ok at RT
Edwards.....untested at LT
Williams....can’t afford him.

Sad but true. Organizations need to realize they have to be more proactive with OL planning and development than other positions. Further complicating that I think dominant O-linemen are the rarest commodity, and the payoff when you do acquire one has more of a ripple effect than most other positions.

Edit: I'm encouraged that DC Staley has expressed he believes the "point of attack" is critical. Hopefully that will influence our development on both sides of the ball....

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Sad but true. Organizations need to realize they have to be more proactive with OL planning and development than other positions. Further complicating that I think dominant O-linemen are the rarest commodity, and the payoff when you do acquire one has more of a ripple effect than most other positions.

Edit: I'm encouraged that DC Staley has expressed he believes the "point of attack" is critical. Hopefully that will influence our development on both sides of the ball....
If Noteboom and Allen were coming off of successful starting seasons there would a lot less worry. Add Havenstein maintaining his level of play as well.
None of those things happened so the plan didn’t work last year. It better improve this year because there aren’t many other options.

dang

Legend
Rams need to spread their cap $$$ very carefully this year. i don’t see them signing any FA for more than $8-10m (Whit??).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Precisely how I see it. The optimism around Boom is mind boggling.

Right now he is depth for planning purposes.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Precisely how I see it. The optimism around Boom is mind boggling.

Right now he is depth for planning purposes.

because we saw with our own eyes that when they threw him in to the left tackle position for some game time in 2018 he played well. the oline didn't miss a beat. just because he wasn't that good at guard doesn't mean he can't play tackle, seeing he is a tackle and all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
because we saw with our own eyes that when they threw him in to the left tackle position for some game time in 2018 he played well. the oline didn't miss a beat. just because he wasn't that good at guard doesn't mean he can't play tackle, seeing he is a tackle and all.

He's solid on the pass pro side but his run blocking the dude is weak. Whit for all his age is a plus run game guy still. So barring Boom making big strides he represents a big falloff in terms of the run game.

Which the Rams cannot afford IMO. They need to be able to run the ball this year to bunk that finesse BS. So for now I don't see Boom as anything other than depth, and I hope he comes in much stronger but for planning purposes it is what it is.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He's solid on the pass pro side but his run blocking the dude is weak. Whit for all his age is a plus run game guy still. So barring Boom making big strides he represents a big falloff in terms of the run game.

Which the Rams cannot afford IMO. They need to be able to run the ball this year to bunk that finesse BS. So for now I don't see Boom as anything other than depth, and I hope he comes in much stronger but for planning purposes it is what it is.

Saffold was finesse early in his career. Noteboom still has time to gain strength.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Noteboom still has time to gain strength.
Of course he does but that doesn't mean we can plan for him to lock down the position. Which is why I see him as depth until he shows otherwise.