Ok let's try for Trent Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Of course he does but that doesn't mean we can plan for him to lock down the position. Which is why I see him as depth until he shows otherwise.

I'm not planning on him to lock down the position right now, not with him likely being PUPed. I just want to note that his and Saffold's career arcs are similar. (Saffold really struggled in his second year, was considered a finesse lineman, and got hurt in the midpoint of the season.)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sadly, due to Rams cap situation and meager pickings at FA, Rams are going to have to rely on what they already have and whatever they can get in the draft. I foresee a lot of 12 sets and Goff rolling out the first several games.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I was high on Trent Williams as an option when it was reported the Redskins allowed him the shop around. But what would it take to get him and then how much would it cost to sign him? Then someone pointed out he has missed a lot of time the last 4 or 5 years and on opening day it'll almost be 2 years since he's played. Based on that even if we could trade for him AND he.played for what he's supposed to get in 2020, will we be getting a great LT?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sadly, due to Rams cap situation and meager pickings at FA, Rams are going to have to rely on what they already have and whatever they can get in the draft. I foresee a lot of 12 sets and Goff rolling out the first several games.

that would be perfect. higbee and everett out there together. make it happen.

oldnotdead

Legend
Until I see it he's not to be relied on. All we have to go on is what he's showed us at guard, which wasn't impressive. I guess if Joe ever does get to be the a Rams OLT, then running left will be out of the question.

Of course he does but that doesn't mean we can plan for him to lock down the position. Which is why I see him as depth until he shows otherwise.

He was impressive in 2018 playing at his natural position. More than one pro evaluator was impressed including the Ram FO and scouts. Does he have flaws in his game? What rookie doesn't. Playing him at LG a position he's never played and barely practiced at proved to me that Kromer is clueless when in comes to the actual technique differences of each position.

Whitworth is clearly showing his age. His footwork isn't nearly as quick and his anchor is slipping as he is often bull rushed back into Goff. His flaws in 2019 were those of an OT in decline. In the last several years Whitworth historically graded out in the mid to upper 80's then in 2019 against better competition he dropped big down to the low 70's. So who do you trust? The young player who in his first game graded out as well or better than Whitworth in 2019 or the aging vet who's game took a sudden nosedive? Look at the tape Andrew is not the same man in 2019 as in previous years. There were plays where it was painful to watch him struggle. Who's tape do you trust?

My money is on the young guy who is more likely to improve his game by strengthening and improving his technique. Hoping a 38 year old OT who will be 39 in December will somehow regain his youthful form seems far less likely. Andrew trains year-round, yet his physical struggles were surprising. What more can he do that he already doing? IMO Andrew's real value would be as a o-line coach. I'd rather see him coaching the o-line than Kromer and Dickerson.

We saw last year that Kromer and Dickerson were unable to make adjustments to their o-line during the season. They proved their incompetence by even starting the system with a high school level run blocking scheme and were unable to make adjustments to their scheme during the season. Kromer was so busy positional cross-training his players he neglected to install more than a simplistic outside zone blocking scheme. I'm sorry but even good high school o-lines practice more than one blocking technique. IMO O'Connell will use both inside zone and power gap schemes this year.

The bottom line IMO last year's o-line failures and struggles were due to poor coaching not lack of talent by the players. They lacked coordination and even basic technique and that is completely on the coaches. Putting Noteboom at LT when he had guys like Evans, Shelton, and Brewer on the roster proved to me that Kromer does not play to his players' strength. He doesn't understand that there are sound reasons that in the NFL physical metrics do matter and why college OT's like Evans are better off playing inside, with the reverse being true with Edwards. So, in my opinion, it's really premature to condemn the talent of the o-line already on this roster. Considering where they are drafting they, in all probability, are not going to get players in the draft significantly better than the guys they have.

Kevin Connell was at SDSU during the Chargers heyday with LaDainian Tomlinson's peak years. He watched first hand how effective a good power gap blocking scheme with a good lead blocking FB can be. It's basically the same scheme used by the 49er's today so it still works. For that, you don't need heavy-footed road graders. You want linemen who can get off quickly and move and block with power as they exploit a gap to create the lane. So people need to be mindful of exactly what kind of lineman a team needs. Linemen like other skill positions also need to be scheme fits. As such Evans needs to be at OG and Edwards needs to play at OT. Why do you think the majority of the o-line players were collegiate OT's? IMO it's because they have better feet and mobility. That all points to a transition to an inside zone and power gap scheme.

Some of the moves the team has made and especially the moves they haven't made, all point to an emphasis upon scheme fit with this team unlike previous years and other franchises. Personally I think it's a good perspective.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
None of those add up to one Williams. Whit is regressing. Boom is still rehabbing he sucked in run blocking. Evans I like him but he always got help and he and Edwards are not in same zip code as Williams.

That's 100% true. But.....how good? For how long? Even though at this point it seems Williams at 85% is a better than Noteboom, Edwards and Evans, what if we get 75%? or 65% this year and even less or worse next year? Are we sure Noteboom doesn't become a legit LT or Edwards or Evans? Either this year or next? How many games has he missed the last 3 or 4 years? I'd get Whitworth in here on a 1 year deal or a 1 & 1 with conditions and see how the youngsters and Havenstein perform. If they can swing Blythe too, fine.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trent Williams? Eek... Maybe we can see if Jake Long wants to give it another go while we're at it
Seriously where do you guys come from? We need a major LT not Boom. A guy who sucked when healthy at LG so let's just let someone coming back from a major injury and sucked last year and he is our answer. Total hack post. Especially when you highlight Willuams age well I guess Whit who was 4 years older and not as good as Williams when he joined the Rams so what does that make Whit?

You know Williams is one of the two best LTs in the league and is projected to have at least 4 probowls left in him. That to me solves Goffs backside doesn't get Goff killed instead of trying to hope the current set of losers we have on the 31st PFF rated OL. So let's pass on Williams.

If you don't want to go for Williams let's try for Glenn anyone will be better than we have currently.

I am sure you'll be the first to bitch when Gofc runs for his life because Boom whoever on the roster majorly fails.

You know the LT is one of the 4 most important positions on a football team.

Last edited:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
That's 100% true. But.....how good? For how long? Even though at this point it seems Williams at 85% is a better than Noteboom, Edwards and Evans, what if we get 75%? or 65% this year and even less or worse next year? Are we sure Noteboom doesn't become a legit LT or Edwards or Evans? Either this year or next? How many games has he missed the last 3 or 4 years? I'd get Whitworth in here on a 1 year deal or a 1 & 1 with conditions and see how the youngsters and Havenstein perform. If they can swing Blythe too, fine.
Another dump post regarding injuries HOW MANY games did Boom miss.

We need a better LT period.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

You mean "dumb", right? And if you did mean it, that shit doesn't fly here.

Anyway, Saffold was regarded as injury-prone and played a position he was terrible at before moving to guard, where he excelled. Noteboom played at left guard - a position he was terrible at - when he showed that he could dominate at left tackle last year.

Saffold had a season-ending injury in his second year, as did Noteboom.

Saffold, early in his career, was regarded as a finesse lineman before he gained good weight. Noteboom is regarded as a finesse lineman, and needs to gain more strength, which is possible.

Regardless, I'm not saying that Noteboom is the answer at left tackle. Right now, he needs to come back from a terrible, freak injury before he's ready to play. What I am saying is that Noteboom and Saffold - size-wise, career-wise, and style-wise - are remarkably similar players with diverging paths, and that we'd be foolish to completely give up on him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously where do you guys come from? We need a major LT not Boom. A guy who sucked when healthy at LG so let's just let someone coming back from a major injury and sucked last year and he is our answer. Total hack post. Especially when you highlight Willuams age well I guess Whit who was 4 years older and not as good as Williams when he joined the Rams so what does that make Whit?

You know Williams is one of the two best LTs in the league and is projected to have at least 4 probowls left in him. That to me solves Goffs backside doesn't get Goff killed instead of trying to hope the current set of losers we have on the 31st PFF rated OL. So let's pass on Williams.

If you don't want to go for Williams let's try for Glenn anyone will be better than we have currently.

I am sure you'll be the first to bitch when Gofc runs for his life because Boom whoever on the roster majorly fails.

You know the LT is one of the 4 most important positions on a football team.
Where do guys like you come from?
are you aware the cat didn’t play last year? And missed 13 games due to injury in the 3 years prior?
talk about a hack job.
He’s “projected” as a pro bowl lt? Boy that sure paid off for the skins
Good grief

PARAM

Hall of Fame

At this time? Sure. Thats why they're trying to resign Whitworth. It depends on how much Whit wants and how much (and for how long) the Rams want to pay him. But we know what Williams wants...and it probably waaay more than Whitworth.

So we resign AW, maybe even Blythe and they've got a LT, Havestein, Blythe, Noteboom, Edwards, Evans, Allen and Corbett and some more youngsters.. No Blythe? A little different story. Maybe they draft a C?

And its not "that injury thing", though he has had a knee injury. It that he's missed time... suspension (PEDs), injury....
How much time has he missed from 2016-2018? (and he missed all of last year). He'll be 32 in July......and he'll already be paid. Who we gonna get? Trent Williams or a much lesser version?

Get AW. Blythe if you can. Draft a center and/or an OT. Keep Noteboom, Allen, Edwards, Evans, Corbett to fight it out at G, C and/or OT. Havenstein at RT.

JMHO

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not planning on him to lock down the position right now, not with him likely being PUPed. I just want to note that his and Saffold's career arcs are similar. (Saffold really struggled in his second year, was considered a finesse lineman, and got hurt in the midpoint of the season.)

I remember when Zac said Saffold was one of the most athletic player in The Rams. Noteboom doesn’t hit the weights like Saffold. He gave Donald a run for his money.
Saffold was not a good LT. I believe Noteboom fits the position better.Will see how there careers end up, but I don’t see that much resemblance. I do in draft order & injury though.

Wonder about Trent Williams?? Don’t see The Rams making a trade, but just read Cooks would salary could make it happen.
I remember Washington bearing The Rams with Foles at QB. They just ran the clock & Trent Williams lead the way in that game.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
You mean "dumb", right? And if you did mean it, that shit doesn't fly here.

Anyway, Saffold was regarded as injury-prone and played a position he was terrible at before moving to guard, where he excelled. Noteboom played at left guard - a position he was terrible at - when he showed that he could dominate at left tackle last year.

Saffold had a season-ending injury in his second year, as did Noteboom.

Saffold, early in his career, was regarded as a finesse lineman before he gained good weight. Noteboom is regarded as a finesse lineman, and needs to gain more strength, which is possible.

Regardless, I'm not saying that Noteboom is the answer at left tackle. Right now, he needs to come back from a terrible, freak injury before he's ready to play. What I am saying is that Noteboom and Saffold - size-wise, career-wise, and style-wise - are remarkably similar players with diverging paths, and that we'd be foolish to completely give up on him.
I was never comparing Saffolds many injuries to Boom what I was stating is many people in on this board bitched after seeing how bad we could have used Saffold instead of Boom meaning Saffold was way better. So just looking at it objectively Boom is no where as good as Saffold so why do you think he is the answer at LT.

As far as his injury goes it was a bad one and we do not know how
his recovery is going to be which is a factor.

End result Boom is a maybe we need a sure thing at LT and Williams is the answer just like Whit was.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Where do guys like you come from?
are you aware the cat didn’t play last year? And missed 13 games due to injury in the 3 years prior?
talk about a hack job.
He’s “projected” as a pro bowl lt? Boy that sure paid off for the skins
Good grief
You know he is a 7 time pro bowler. If you took time to read what happened with Williams you would know he had cancer in the head area and he feels the skins mis diagnosed the cancer. He stated away from the team all last year out of protest.

Whit came to the Rams at 35/36 of age and he made a big impact. Williams is even better than Whit so he can lock down the LT spot for the next 4-7 years depending on cost and injuries.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You know he is a 7 time pro bowler. If you took time to read what happened with Williams you would know he had cancer in the head area and he feels the skins mis diagnosed the cancer. He stated away from the team all last year out of protest.

Whit came to the Rams at 35/36 of age and he made a big impact. Williams is even better than Whit so he can lock down the LT spot for the next 4-7 years depending on cost and injuries.

Your kidding right? This is a guy who is expecting/demanding huge jack (which we certainly can't afford). And his recent history might suggest we might not get our money's worth. 2014- 15 GS, 2015 14 GS, 2016- 12 GS (4 game suspension), 2017- 10 GS (knee), 2018- 13 GS, 2019- 0 GS. As much as you want to ignore his history, the guy has played 23 games the last 3 years. What's that? Less than 8! He's better than Andrew Whitworth? Let's say he is better. But you can't help he club from the tub. AW joined the Rams after missing 2 games the previous 8 years and he missed 1 with the Rams....the finale in 2017 against SF. We got our money's worth with AW. Would we with Williams? A lot of time missed. A lot of controversy. Yeah, he's got cancer in the head and he sounds like a guy who's going to give you 100% once he gets his money??

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And he still didnt play at all last year.
Missed 3 games in 2018
Missed 6 games in 2017
Missed 4 games in 2016
Missed 2 games in 2015
And now he's going to remarkably play in 16 games at 32 years old?
Something he hasnt done since he was 25?
Suspensions, injuries, protests, whatever. And still, he wants to be paid like a 7 time pro bowler
No thanks