Ogletree traded to Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
I saw somewhere the suggestion that by extending him it made him more available to be traded. Not sure if I agree or not but it does concern me that there is a precedent now, would other players be concerned to sign extension vs waiting for FA? Sure they want to get paid but I’m sure they also would rather be in control of where they play

I would think it'd make a player pause when they see the Rams will extend you and not hesitate to trade you. Might cause agents to start denying the Rams putting roster bonus payments due after the league year starts. The reaction from a lot of important players on the team was not good yesterday. Obviously, they all know it's a business but still you never know how it'll affect signing someone like Gurley in a year or two. Hopefully they nail free agency and the draft this year and show everyone they knew what they were doing.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously, they all know it's a business but still you never know how it'll affect signing someone like Gurley in a year or two.
I'm not 100% clear that they will want to sign Gurley to a long term contract. Running backs tend to decline fairly early, and Gurley gets a lot of work. Unless he is willing to sign a long term contract for less than RBs like Bell are demanding, it might make sense to give him the 5th year contract, then tag him once or twice. At current usage that would put him over 2200 touches, which is generally where top RBs start showing their first major signs of decline.

Take the comp pick at that point, and let some other team overpay for decline.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
200w.gif

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think of Ogletree as a depreciating asset. Like selling a used car.
I get that, wasn't my point. I don't see where the Rams are "taking the Giants to the woodshed" unless Ogletree just flat out cant play, at all. Which is just not the ase

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sadly, I won't be able to truly wring my hands till after the draft. I don't love the compensation we got here but if we can wheel and deal it into something (notwithstanding any additions in FA), I'll be happy.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I get that, wasn't my point. I don't see where the Rams are "taking the Giants to the woodshed" unless Ogletree just flat out cant play, at all. Which is just not the ase

I see it as a win win situation. Giajts trying to contend one more time with Eli. Ogletree a big upgrade for their defense.

Rams trying to lay the groundwork to lock up foundation players lobg term, like Donald, Gurely, Goff, and maybe a few other 2nd tier core guys.

They were hoping Ogletree was one of those players. However, he never showed he could fill that role in this defense. Just not a fit. So now they will divert the assets used to "lock him up", for a piece that does fit scheme and can be part of the long term plan.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see it as a win win situation. Giajts trying to contend one more time with Eli. Ogletree a big upgrade for their defense.

Rams trying to lay the groundwork to lock up foundation players lobg term, like Donald, Gurely, Goff, and maybe a few other 2nd tier core guys.

They were hoping Ogletree was one of those players. However, he never showed he could fill that role in this defense. Just not a fit. So now they will divert the assets used to "lock him up", for a piece that does fit scheme and can be part of the long term plan.
My comments are directly related to the "taking to the woodshed" comment, which is just not the case.

Psycho_X

Legend

So, the Rams are looking at ILB on the first day of the draft or first phase of free agency. :)

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tree just signed my son's jersey in Detroit two years ago . Now it has to go into storage with Amendola , Avery , Long , JL , McDonald , and a few others that were traded or let go . My wife was right when she said I have too many jerseys

Tano

Legend
Tree just signed my son's jersey in Detroit two years ago . Now it has to go into storage with Amendola , Avery , Long , JL , McDonald , and a few others that were traded or let go . My wife was right when she said I have too many jerseys
Screw that - I still wear my Faulk and Bruce jerseys

Ramon Ram

Starter
Screw that - I still wear my Faulk and Bruce jerseys

But they never left. My Bradford, Laurenitas are shelved. I wear Warner and Youngblood along with Roman throwback as he was my first love lol.
Won't buy any more until uni change.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a Rams fan here in New York.....you guys should hear the idiocy of sports radio guys giant fans etc. For one with all do respect to Ogeltree I liked him as a ram truly great leader beacon of emotion and seemed to be an overall good dude played well in the 4-3 but hearing these fans in NY and radio guys it's like they just got junior seau in his prime or Ray Lewis for starters I believe Alec will do well here but they haven't got a clue as to why the Rams dumped him wasn't only about money pure and simple he did not fit the scheme especially with his poor angles and tackling with that being said its all a matter of opinion on how good he is was or can be but what's burning me up the most is the ripping of the Rams organization saying what are they doing a playoff team tearing apart there defense all this for Aaron Donald same ole Rams. Not one person has mentioned Alec's play here nor the fact that Phillips wants his type of players and is going through a process in which the Rams will need to trust him instead what I hear is wade cannot be to happy ...wade Phillips must be very annoyed at the Rams for taking away his toys blah blah blah wish I could just find a station that was all Rams all the time lol tired of this nonsense...absolutely no clue!!!

punctuation is your friend.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
yeah but it doesn't explain why they extended his contract

I am guessing they felt he would be able to play the role they put him in... or at least hoped he would. They gave him a contract that locked him up if he worked out and a deal they could get out of relatively cheaply if he didn't. It was better than the alternative of him becoming a FA and them having no control over him and adding him to a list of guys that needed to be re-signed.

So he didn't work out in their minds and now hear we are.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
But they never left. My Bradford, Laurenitas are shelved. I wear Warner and Youngblood along with Roman throwback as he was my first love lol.
Won't buy any more until uni change.

Ummmmm... we've kinda agreed not to even speak of it earlier in this thread, but,,,,

Bruce left us... and he went to the enemy of all enemies. That's right, the whiners.

Maybe you were able to block that completely out of your memory. I sure wish that I could.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
punctuation is your friend.

Well we aren't on here for grammar lessons dude. It's good to see you would take the time to give that opinion in this thread/forum besides most people with a brain can figure it out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well we aren't on here for grammar lessons dude. It's good to see you would take the time to give that opinion in this thread/forum besides most people with a brain can figure it out.

are you kidding me?

go back and try to decipher your post. it wouldn't hurt to put a few full stops in there so we know where a sentence starts and ends.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
are you kidding me?

go back and try to decipher your post. it wouldn't hurt to put a few full stops in there so we know where a sentence starts and ends.

No I'm not and since your the only person that actually took time out of his day to go on this board to write about something so trivial/petty then I would have to assume your bored but I will take it under advisement for people with that struggle reading without proper punctuation. There you go hope you feel better.