Ogletree traded to Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well they have to be targeting someone in FA and well know who at 12:01 next wed. I'm thinking we'll all be happy with the new addition. Then either an in house promotion for Ebukam or the first round pick on someone like Edmunds or LVE. I think when the dust settles well like what we see.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Could be, but I hope not. Ogletree's bad contract is off the books now, but our available CAP took a big hit with the dead money. I liked Barron as our WLB under Williams, but like Quinn & Ogletree, he's being paid too much at a position which isn't his best. Between a free agent like Avery Williamson and a drafted ILB, Wade could have a better inside duo at half the cost. The savings would be quite helpful elsewhere. jmo.
Our available cap didn't take a big hit because we're still saving $5+ million this year. We saved 11m+ and take a dead cap hit of 6m+with a net savings of 5m+.

Plus from what I saw, that guy consistently stuffed a gap that the rb wasn't running through. I won't miss watching him charge a gap and back off before the snap, then run into a different gap after the snap while the running back runs through the original gap he charged... Where there wasn't anyone there to stop him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Our available cap didn't take a big hit because we're still saving $5+ million this year. We saved 11m+ and take a dead cap hit of 6m+with a net savings of 5m+.

The point being that yesterday we had nearly $47mil. in available CAP, ... following the Oglertree trade, we now have $40.mil available. Dead money counts against the CAP. Fans were prepared for the Quinn costs, as they are should either Austin or Barron be axed, but few if any suspected what was coming with Ogletree. I actually favor moving 'Tree', but we still have fewer dollars today to spend on free agency than we did yesterday.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The point being that yesterday we had nearly $47mil. in available CAP, ... following the Oglertree trade, we now have $40.mil available. Dead money counts against the CAP. Fans were prepared for the Quinn costs, as they are should either Austin or Barron be axed, but few if any suspected what was coming with Ogletree. I actually favor moving 'Tree', but we still have fewer dollars today to spend on free agency than we did yesterday.
Maybe I misunderstood, but it was discussed several times in this thread that we saved money trading him. We should have more money in available cap space not less.

@flv clarification please?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Looks like the Rams will be building the LB core around Barron. At least it looks that way for now.
In Wade we Trust.

If Bonsignore is to be believed then Corey Littleton will be taking over Ogletree's spot. If so then they don't need to sign any top inside linebackers nor draft them. And, if they sign Tru, and Robey-Coleman, they only pressing draft need would maybe be OLB. Consigned also said that they like Longacre and felt he outplayed Quinn. At least they will have all of their bases covered going into the draft. That way if Calvin Ridley falls to them they can pick him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

how is that possible.

the $1.6 deap cap hit for this season already applied before the trade.

that leaves 3 years of dead cap to add on which makes it $4.8m.

by trading ogletree the rams saved $10m.

10 - 4.8 = 5.2.

the rams have $5.2m extra cap space available this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Another tough one to accept... Tree is a solid player and a solid dude...

I've said before that he's not the ideal inside LB for the 3-4... My optimal scenario was to cut Barron...move Tree to Baron's spot and get a real stout ILB ....

but 10 million for next year is a lot of money...there are some solid ILBs in free agency..and in the draft.... with some other pressing needs that 10 Million is going to help...

I still believe that we'll cut Baron ....

which now means that we need to replace all 4 of our starting Linebackers....

and the honest truth is that ..this needed to happen.....

my only real worry though is that with moving Quinn and Tree you are getting rid of 2 very high character leaders in your locker room... Donald and Brockers are still there...so is Joyner....but man... Tree and Quinn are solid guys...
They both poisoned themselves out of position to often. They made big plays , but gave up big plays as well. I think consistency & situational is the way to go.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
giphy.gif

Debacled

Starter
Wow cant believe they moved on from the guy they extended. This was entirely based on performance, not saving cap room.

Ogletree was one of those odd ducks here that despite terrible play for whatever reason seemed to avoid drawing the ire of fans. Could never wrap my head around why he was given so many passes while the focus was placed on guys like Barron for the lacking run D (Ogletree has been THE issue in that area since he took over in the middle).

At least the coaching staff saw it for what it was. They probably had enough faith in him that as the year went on he would improve on his issues, but he only performed worse. Last year was his 5th in the league and at some point you have to stop projecting based off potential. So glad they cut their losses on this one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry you have it backwards there.

Renewed

UDFA
With all of this cap space: Rise and Shine, Mr Snead, rise and shine.

I liked Tree as a positive man in the locker room. He was / is a great teamleader. But in Wades 3-4? It was a poor season from Tree under the new DC. So the move is understandable. But the compensation? Not so much.

All in all it clears cap space for new huge contracts. Lets go.

jap

Legend
His contract was bad, but not horrible. For that kind of return I do not like this trade *at all*. Hopefully, Wade has a plan... but for now I'm not happy at all. We weren't good enough stopping the run. Something had to change at LB. But for those paltry picks, I think it was a mistake to move him unless it's part of a grander design.

SonOfBum (channeling the late Heath Ledger's Joker): "Do I look like the kind of guy that has a plan?" :mrburnsevil::neener::rolllaugh:

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
how is that possible.

the $1.6 deap cap hit for this season already applied before the trade.

that leaves 3 years of dead cap to add on which makes it $4.8m.

by trading ogletree the rams saved $10m.

10 - 4.8 = 5.2.

the rams have $5.2m extra cap space available this year.

I'm trying to figure that out myself. Check out this link :

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/rr

Scroll down to the bottom. The following line is what I use every time I create a mock, like yesterday :

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $40,237,766

The above figure includes projected costs for the draft pool. The $40.mil was closer to $48mil at 10:30 PM last night when I presented my latest mock. The only other changes made are with the dead money and the rising cost being attributed to the extra draft picks we picked up. According to the above link, we now gained $6.4mil in dead money from Ogletree. Unless CAP money is yet to be added by spotrac, I can't explain the disparity.rr

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/alec-ogletree-12310/

jap

Legend
Hold on to your hats, people! The mad defensive scientist/architect is just getting started.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm trying to figure that out myself. Check out this link :

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/rr

Scroll down to the bottom. The following line is what I use every time I create a mock, like yesterday :

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $40,237,766

The above figure includes projected costs for the draft pool. The $40.mil was closer to $48mil at 10:30 PM last night when I presented my latest mock. The only other changes made are with the dead money and the rising cost being attributed to the extra draft picks we picked up. According to the above link, we now gained $6.4mil in dead money from Ogletree. Unless CAP money is yet to be added by spotrac, I can't explain the disparity.rr

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/alec-ogletree-12310/

I clicked on the link and it says there's over $47m in cap space.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Late to hear the news. Wow.

Somebody tell Snead to stop playing it safe, take a risk every now and then

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I haven't read all your comments. I am a little shocked. Quinn. Ogletree. Wow. I am sure this defense is a work in progress. There will be at least two more huge FA signings on that side of the ball, (NT and OLB- edge guy?) and no doubt our #1 pick (A stud ILB). Then sign Tru, NRC and Barron, oh and maybe sign that Donald fella to a few bucks, and we may be in business.

Just a day at the office for the man with locks of gold, and moves so bold. :cool:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cory Littleton played well in Barron's place. I could see him taking over for Barron if he's cut or traded. Not sure about AO. Think we'd want more of a thumper there. Littleton seems a little light. Didn't Hager play in AO's place when he was out for series? I think Littleton could prob slide over to AO's spot but I don't think it's ideal.