Ogletree traded to Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
[QUOTE=" Let us trust the process with hope that Harold Wade Phillips at 71 in June is up to this rebuild and now we all know why Wade was spending a ton of time at the combine.[/QUOTE]

^This

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Love this trade. Ogletree was a horrible tackler, and not smart enough to call the defenses.
There - I said it. Good dude though.
Barron is WAY better at reads and tacking, just a bit small. Love that guy.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was the Rams defense solid last year? I remember us getting rolled over versus the run in several different contests. There were some very high scoring games as well. Against the 49ers earlier in the season is what comes to mind. We have to ask ourselves if it were the players that excelled in our defensive scheme last year or was it the play calling that kept us gradually getting better as the season went on. The most important part of coaching (like I have freaking coached anything)is getting the most out of the players that you have on the roster. Being able to change your scheme to fit the personnel that you have on the team is something we are not used to seeing. I believe that happened last year with Phillips at the helm on the defense. Now he knows what to expect of each player beyond practice and game film.

Expect more changes on that side of the ball. As I said in an earlier post, this offseason, for the most part, is all about the defense. It's Wade's turn and I want to believe that they know what he wants already.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Read further down past that post.

I goofed!

haha, how many guys have to tell you?

i think all these people just reply to your comment before reading any more posts after that one.

still funny though. there will surely be more people replying to that post.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Looks like the Rams will be building the LB core around Barron. At least it looks that way for now.

Could be, but I hope not. Ogletree's bad contract is off the books now, but our available CAP took a big hit with the dead money. I liked Barron as our WLB under Williams, but like Quinn & Ogletree, he's being paid too much at a position which isn't his best. Between a free agent like Avery Williamson and a drafted ILB, Wade could have a better inside duo at half the cost. The savings would be quite helpful elsewhere. jmo.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i have to say, i've been stewing over that whiff by ogletree since the game. it really cut me up. to the point where i really didn't want him on the team anymore. don't know why when other players make mistakes as well but that one really burned me. probably because it was so unnecessary at such a crucial time of the game. there was no reason to rush in like that. i can't comprehend why he thought he had to rush in like that. 3rd and 10, coleman caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage, his back was turned towards him, why rush in? WHY?

damnit, now i'm all burned up again.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Ogletree's tackling technique left a lot to be desired. But he was a good player - very good, even, although not elite - who brought heart and energy to this defence. I liked that he was a bit dirty at times, too. It brought an edge and showed he cared. He had a huge knack for making splash plays. And if he wasn't playing out of position would have been even better during his time in horns. Ogletree also seemed like a genuinely good person and a family man. The kind of guy you want in the lockeroom, as opposed to so many players that would rather get high and involve themselves with gangs.

His contract was bad, but not horrible. For that kind of return I do not like this trade *at all*. Hopefully, Wade has a plan... but for now I'm not happy at all. We weren't good enough stopping the run. Something had to change at LB. But for those paltry picks, I think it was a mistake to move him unless it's part of a grander design.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
i think he offers alot of flexibility on the field, especially if the rams can make teams pass happy.

Exactly, and it's not like the team is in much of a position to get rid of him given the Ogletree trade and current depth.

Barron is valuable.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I understand moving Alec completely. What I don't understand was the contract he was last season.

Alec wasn't worth that money and still isn't so why was it given in the first place?

Strange stuff. I get it though.

I had the same thoughts ... I guess we can thank Les Snead

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Guess we can just run the 5-0-6 defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My boss is a former European league coach and knows Wade. He’s not surprised at all that Wade really likes Barron. He says Barron is one of those rare players that most coaches love to have on a team.

I have to admit that I also thought you couldn’t trade comp picks but I want to read a first hand as to which of the giants 4th rounders we get.

Obviously this regime has a plan. Let’s all hope it works out.

It still hasn’t been totally decided in hindsight about Barron , but if they are going to franchise Joyner. Mark Barron means more to The Rams than him. IMO

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing is, we HAD a good 4-3 defense before Wade got here. He comes in, and sure we ranked top ten overall, but that's only because teams were running for 7 ypc against us instead of passing. Now we end up getting rid of all of our players to build a 3-4. We're probably two years away from having a middle of the road defense now at this rate.
Last year we moved to a 3-4. but we still had 4-3 players. I was thinking last year that we would have a better D if Wade was willing to keep the 4-3 until we had a chance to re-tool the D. This year we are cleaning out the 4-3 players so we can rebuild with the proper players. I don't think the draft picks is as important to the team as having a lot of cap room.
Wade has been around long time and knows a lot of players that would love to come play for the new and improved RAMS.
I don't think it will take long for him to fix the D with the type of players he wants.