Ogletree designated to Returnable IR/Dunbar cut/DT Worthington promoted

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
The Rams opted to hold off on making any decisions about putting linebacker Alec Ogletree on injured reserve when he had surgery to repair a fractured fibula three weeks ago, but the waiting didn’t do anything to make the team think that Ogletree will be able to return anytime soon.

The team announced Tuesday that Ogletree has been placed on injured reserve with the designation to return. He won’t be eligible to play in any games until Week 16, although he can start practicing two weeks before that. Had the Rams put him on IR at the time of his surgery, his potential return date would have been earlier although that will only be of any consequence if Ogletree is ready to play come Week 14.

Ogletree has been replaced in the starting lineup by Mark Barron, who came into the league as a safety but has been productive in his new role. Barron had 16 tackles in last Sunday’s win over the Browns.

“I’m just playing football,” Barron said, via FOXSports.com. “That’s easy to me. I just line up and I know my responsibility. And as long as I know my responsibility, I can do that. It’s not a hard adjustment. It’s just football.”

Ogletree, a 2013 first-round pick, has one year and a fifth-year option left on his rookie deal.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/27/alec-ogletree-heads-to-injured-reserve-return/

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Man, what a great trade that's turning out to be for us. We may have whiffed on the the whole trading down and losing and miss Wagoner debacle, but this is another home run trade so far. This guy was born to hit.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man, what a great trade that's turning out to be for us. We may have whiffed on the the whole trading down and losing and miss Wagoner debacle, but this is another home run trade so far. This guy was born to hit.
4th Rounder for Barron? Oh hell yeah, that worked out VERY nicely for us.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1
Rams have promoted DT Doug Worthington to the active roster from the practice squad, and released Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner
Rams also added LB Zack Hodges and DE Gerald Rivers to the practice squad.

Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721
Rams re-signed S Christian Bryant and placed LB Alec Ogletree on reserve/injured, designated for return. He could be back for final 3 games

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1
Rams have promoted DT Doug Worthington to the active roster from the practice squad, and released Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Rams re-signed S Christian Bryant and placed LB Alec Ogletree on reserve/injured, designated for return. He could be back for final 3 games

I remember hearing good things about Worthington in camp but he got hurt. So did we sign Bryant to the roster or PS? I'm glad he's back.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

I wonder if anybody here remembers Gerald Rivers tearing it up during the 2013 preseason with the Rams?

RamBill

Legend

Ogletree will be sidelined until at least Dec. 27

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_50739786-8774-5268-9364-a068aa23d909.html

The Rams have made their decision on Alec Ogletree, placing the third-year linebacker on the injured reserve/designated to return list.

Ogletree, who led the team in tackles in 2013 and 2014, suffered a broken fibula in the teams’ 24-22 win at Arizona on Oct. 4 and has missed the last two games. Still, he leads the squad with 55 stops this season, including 46 solos.

Had Ogletree been placed on regular IR, his season would be over. With this week’s roster move, Ogletree will be sidelined the next six weeks and then have two more weeks of practice before being eligible for a possible return in the Rams’ Week 15 game, on Dec. 27 in Seattle.

“We feel like he’s got a shot, so we wanted to protect him,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said following Tuesday’s workout at Rams Park. “We waited a few weeks, just to protect the rest of the guys in the event that somebody else went down. At this point, it’s important for us to do it from a timing standpoint.”

Fisher said the decision also will provide a boost for Ogletree.

“We would not have done it had he not been getting better,” the coach said. “It’s good for Alec, too, because it gives him hope and encouragement to come back.”

And Ogletree’s return for season-ending NFC West games at Seattle and San Francisco could provide a much-needed lift if the Rams can take care of business between now and then and force themselves into the playoff picture.

To fill Ogletree’s spot on the 53-man roster, the Rams re-signed safety Christian Bryant, who was cut over the weekend to open a roster spot for running back and special teamer Trey Watts. With Tre Mason out because of a sore ankle, the Rams needed another body at running back.

Bryant, a seventh-round draft pick in 2014, cleared waivers on Monday.

The team also promoted defensive tackle Doug Worthington from the practice squad and waived linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

Worthington, a 28-year-old from Ohio State, has been with the team since late last season. The 6-foot-5, 318-pound Worthington will provide depth on a defensive line with some injury concerns. Chris Long (knee) has not been practicing and seems unlikely to play Sunday when the Rams host the 49ers and fellow defensive end Robert Quinn (knee) missed some practice time last week.

“We’re a little banged up there,” Fisher said. “I don’t know how things are going to unfold toward the end of the week. ... We moved it around a little bit just because we’ve got to get through practice and we’re just a little banged up. We’ll know more later in the week.”

Dunbar, an eighth-year pro who started 36 games for the Rams from 2012 through 2014, was cut at the end of training camp and re-signed on Oct. 6. He was not on the active roster for recent games against Green Bay and Cleveland.

To fill the two open spots on the practice squad, the Rams signed linebacker/defensive end Zack Hodges and defensive end Gerald Rivers. Hodges, a 23-year-old from Harvard, was in training camp with the Indianapolis Colts this year.

Rivers, 25, was signed by the Rams as an undrafted free agent from Mississippi in 2013 and played in two games here that season, contributing one tackle. He was claimed off waivers by Jacksonville late in the 2013 and has also spent time with Miami, Denver and the New York Giants.

GURLEY NOMINATED

After rushing for 128 yards and scoring the first two touchdowns of his NFL career in Sunday’s 24-6 victory over the visiting Cleveland Browns, Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley is once again nominated for a pair of the league’s weekly honors.

For the second time this season, Gurley is nominated for the player of the week award. Others up for the weekly honor are quarterbacks Tom Brady of New England, Kirk Cousins of Washington and Ryan Tannehill of Miami plus running backs Lamar Miller of Miami and Mark Ingram of New Orleans.

Fans are allowed to vote through Thursday at 2 p.m. at www.nfl.com/FedEx.

For the rookie of the week honors, Gurley is up against Oakland receiver Amari Cooper, Jacksonville running back T.J. Yeldon, Minnesota linebacker Eric Kendricks and New Orleans linebacker Stephone Anthony. Fans can vote through Friday at 2 p.m. at www.nfl.com/rookies.

It’s the third rookie of the week nomination for Gurley, who won in Week 4 after rushing 19 times for 146 yards in his first NFL start, a 24-22 win at previously unbeaten Arizona.

RAM-BLINGS

After practice Tuesday, Fisher was asked about the town hall meeting downtown concerning the NFL, the Rams and possible relocation.

“Found out this afternoon it was going on, so I’m focused on San Francisco,” he said.

• Former Mizzou TE Chase Coffman was re-signed by Tuesday by the Titans. The sixth-year pro was released over the weekend. A third-round draft pick by Cincinnati in 2009, Coffman has four catches for 42 yards in one game this season.

• In practice squad moves involving former Rams made Tuesday, linebacker Korey Toomer signed with Oakland while wide receiver Devon Wylie was signed by Atlanta.

Oakland also signed defensive back Tevin McDonald, the younger brother of Rams’ safety T.J. McDonald.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I wonder if anybody here remembers Gerald Rivers tearing it up during the 2013 preseason with the Rams?
I do. Was happy to hear we got him back. More insurance if we don't Re-sign Hayes or simms

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Who is our back up MLB if Dunbar is gone?

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was curious to know why they'd activate Worthington over Trinca-Pasat (who looked DAMN good in the preseason). Looks like Worthington has the versatility to play anywhere on the line.

Get to know Doug Worthington:

TRANSACTIONS: Added to the St. Louis Rams’ practice squad (12/16/14)...released by the Chargers (8/30/14), after signing with them (8/18/14)...released by Washington (8/14/14)...re-signed exclusive free agent contract with Washington (2/6/14)... signed to the Redskins’ active roster (9/18/12)...added to the Redskins’ practice squad (9/3/12), after being released by Washington (8/31/12)...added to the practice squad (9/4/11), after being released by the Redskins (9/3/11)...acquired via waivers by the Washington Redskins (8/6/11)...released by the Buccaneers (8/5/11)...signed to the Tampa Bay practice squad (11/3/10)... released from the practice squad (9/8/10)...signed to the practice squad (9/6/10), after being released (9/4/10)...originally drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the seventh round of the 2010 draft (242nd overall).

2014 SEASON: Spent time on the Rams’ practice squad and with the San Diego Chargers.

2013 SEASON: Spent time on the Redskins’ practice squad.

2012 SEASON: Was active for six games with the Washington Redskins.

2011 SEASON: Acquired via waivers by the Redskins (8/6)...spent time on the practice squad.

2010 SEASON: Drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the seventh round...spent time on the Steelers and Buccaneers practice squads.

COLLEGE: Starter at defensive tackle...his versatility gave the Buckeyes depth at all four spots along the defensive line... rotated as a starter along the defensive line during his junior season in 2008...notched 34 tackles for the year...three tackles in the Purdue win...six tackles against Penn State...four tackles and recovered a Northwestern fumble...sack and two tackles at Illinois...six tackles and a TFL in win over Michigan...8-yard sack in Fiesta Bowl...second-year letterman...started 11 games in 2007...recorded 24 tackles on the season...sack and four tackles in the Wisconsin win...forced a Kent State fumble...intercep- tion against Michigan State... ttack Force award: Akron...Jack Tatum hit of week: Akron...first-year letterman...played in seven gamesas a freshman...totaled three tackles, which came among the last five games of the regular season (Indiana, Minnesota and Northwestern)...played on the scout team as a redshirt freshman...injured his right knee on the final day of bowl practice before the team broke for the holiday season...had surgery and sat out winter and spring...majored in communication.

PERSONAL: Parade All-American...rated the No. 2 prospect overall in the state of New York...totaled 74 tackles, including seven sacks as a senior...had 67 tackles and five sacks as a junior...also a standout basketball player...the first Buckeye from upstate New York since Will Smith (2000-03)...son of Doug and Andrea Worthington...father played football at the University of Colorado... has a daughter named Harper Monroe Worthington.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I find the promotion of the big large journeyman NT Doug Worthington over smaller rookie UDFA LT Pasat interesting. :thinking:

Fisher had injuries to his DE's this season. Reserve DE Eugene Sim damaged his knee in wk 1 & has returned but in very limited action. DE Chris long damaged his knee in wk 5. The 31 yr old CL knee injury has kept him out of all practices & will most likely cause him issues the rest of the season. Star DE Rob Quinn has a very sore knee himself & is being held out of most all practices. The above has provided Ethan Westbrooks a ton of work :lifting:mad: strictly DE instead of just backing up Aaron Donald's DT post.

We saw some real good play from the smaller 6-4 267 pound Westbrook from the DE post against the Browns. One would think that Westbrooks will continue to get 100% of his work from this point on @ the DE posts while the two starting DE battle knee injuries. I need to let it be known that I have always liked the play of Ethan since his arrival. I always pay attention to his work when he is rotated in. I believe & posted that I feel Ethan has the talent to become a solid starter on this DL if need be in 2016 when the Rams will be dealing with the UFA's & Cap issues with Sims/Hayes/Long. Ethan during this period will have the chance to earn his future with this team now.

So with Ethan moving outside Fisher now has a need for a DT to replace Ethan. Naturally we fans would think its LOUIS TRINCA-PASAT time?:oops:.......No its the big mans turn.

From what I have seen of DT Fairley thus far is his best plays come from playing the DT Aaron Donald post not the NT Brockers position. I posted early this season that the Rams needed to groom a decent back up to Brockers cuz Fairley was not going to be it. Now we see DW enter the picture in this DL...how long ?:unsure: It would be a good time for DW to prove that he is the large man for this job now. The 28 yr old DW has bang around the NFL off on off on over & over again sticking nowhere...was a real late (2010) 7th rd pick for Pitts then joined the famous WWC's to Washington, to Tampa to San Diego then St Louis in 2014/2015.

Its said that DW has real Long arms & big hands for the NT position. Does very well in Occupying two blockers that helps keeps the linebackers free. DW's main issue has always been "Not technically sound". maybe after all these yrs he has upped his game in this area...we will see.;)

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
This is a MUST draft LB help with major skills from middle to strong side. We have folks to fill the weak side LB spot with two safties with those extra abilities like Barron and I believe thats what was in mind in drafting Mo Alexander. The RAMS call it right and left OLB on their NFL team roster site.. Not strong and weak as most refer it to in a 4-3 defense. Yet having Greg Williams as your "D" coordinator with unique schemes that actually more than a few other teams run also. Even the Cardinals in our division use a saftey as a LB.

Personally I love Reggie Ragland who calls Alabama's defensive calls all game as JL does for us. By the way JL is playing hurt BIGTIME with a (Hyper-extended) elbow that has to be painfull for a guy trying to wrap up and make tackles every play. We ALL know JL is a WARRIOR and no one else could do what he can with that type injury. Injuries are starting to affect our future capabilities that I think could have been a MAGICAL season.

Ragland due to Jack (UCLA) and Scooby Wright (Arizona) might be able to be gotten in 15-20 range. He's a leader of a major program and is decent in coverage , can rush the passer as a DE and is a sideline to sideline guy run stopper. In the same mold but I think better than C.J. Mosley was for Bama and starts for the Ravens "D". Missing out on Wagner still haunts me. Darren Bates , Bryce Hager and Cameron Lynch I think need more playing time when we get decent leads in the whiners and upcoming Bears games. These guys need gametime reps as we hope Alec Ogletree can knock off the rust in our last two away games of the season in seattle and Frisco. WE NEED AO BAD. He was built to hold up in that position over a 213lb Barron IS doing. Lets get Lynch some reps while we can. He really looked decent and a bad ass hitter for us in pre-season. NO INJURIES!!!