Ogletree and Barron weakness were exposed by Redskin's running game.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They need a real thumper playing next to Ogletree. I thought Forrest could be that guy, but now you have Barron and Littleton, both guys are 225 lbs or less that play that spot.

Also not sure if Barwin and Quinn are quick enough to dominate the edges in the run game.

Excellent observations and the defense seem to improve when Longacre & Ebukam came into the game, however, Perine was not a quick to the edges like Kelley.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A space-eating NT would help to solve most of this.

You know, because 3-4.

Brockers did play in the middle at LSU, but that was a 5-2 alignment and I tend to agree, which is why I was shocked they did not hang onto Mike Purcell. I'm sure next year Phillips will be able to get more his type of guys in for his scheme, however, this year the offense was priority 1, 2 & 3.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent observations and the defense seem to improve when Longacre & Ebukam came into the game, however, Perine was not a quick to the edges like Kelley.
i said in the gameday thread ... Longarce is developing into a nice rotational piece and i like ebukam (although that whiff he had hurt) ..fox is also coming along nicely

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
i Longarce is developing into a nice rotational piece and i like ebukam (although that whiff he had hurt) ..fox is also coming along nicely

Yes, forgot about the whiff, which was bad, but he's young. IMO, down the road, they need to add a space eater in the middle with Donald & Brockers on the outside and maybe look to deal Barron for a thumper next to Ogletree and that's why I liked Forrest.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, forgot about the whiff, which was bad, but he's young. IMO, down the road, they need to add a space eater in the middle with Donald & Brockers on the outside and maybe look to deal Barron for a thumper next to Ogletree and that's why I liked Forrest.
ive never been totally sold on Barron at linebacker ...he had a couple of good years in that 4-3 ..but like i said never totally sold .... it seems to be the current NFL trend take a SS and turn them into a linebacker

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not having all the pieces playing together in TC and preseason (Barron, Donald) made the run D shaky. It was obvious they weren't all on the same page.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
ive never been totally sold on Barron at linebacker ...he had a couple of good years in that 4-3 ..but like i said never totally sold .... it seems to be the current NFL trend take a SS and turn them into a linebacker
Not having all the pieces playing together in TC and preseason (Barron, Donald) made the run D shaky. It was obvious they weren't all on the same page.

@bubbaramfan could be on to something as Barron did not have much time in the scheme and this was a very good offensive line coached by one of the best in the NFL in Bill Callahan, so let's see how the defense responds in their first road contest against a team that beat them twice last year.

Psycho_X

Legend
I will start by saying the Redskins have a very good o-line. Probably one of the better ones we'll face all season especially in the run game. So there is that.

But yeah, our entire front 7 just seemed so out of sync yesterday which, as said, can be attributed to a lot of the starters not practicing and not playing all preseason. Fresh system with little practice time together is going to be exposed against good o-lines for the time being. Add in that I agree I've been hesitant about Ogeltree and Barron being adequate ILB'ers. Tree has never been very stout in the run game especially if a lineman gets his hands on him.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the rotational or rookie guys getting more playing time as they make names for themselves.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
You could tell the Skins were ahead of the Rams in preparation. Rams had held out players all pre-season and with new scheme and coaching, they looked like they were still trying to get in synch.

The Redskins, on the other hand looked much more fluid and in synch.

I'm convinced it's due to the current CBA, and teams than have new HC's and their assistants, with new scheme and verbage, are far behind teams that already know the playbook and their HC.

Sadly, I expect the Rams to look "pre-season: for a couple more games.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Wade preaches assignment and technique. It seemed like guys were not disciplined with their assignments thus using poor technique trying to make up for it. As I stated yesterday, the defense was very pedestrian. I hope they get this figured out by Thursday or we will be seeing Hyde run over the defense.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
might be lookin at LB early in the draft
Someone on Twitter said this guy could help...
images

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
You could tell the Skins were ahead of the Rams in preparation. Rams had held out players all pre-season and with new scheme and coaching, they looked like they were still trying to get in synch.

The Redskins, on the other hand looked much more fluid and in synch.

I'm convinced it's due to the current CBA, and teams than have new HC's and their assistants, with new scheme and verbage, are far behind teams that already know the playbook and their HC.

Sadly, I expect the Rams to look "pre-season: for a couple more games.

Agree, but I really think the Redskins played with a sense of urgency, where we played like we were still patting ourselves on the back from Week 1. Unfortunately, there are going to be games like this through out the season. It's going to take the majority of the season to get everything and everyone in sync, barring any major injuries. I think we will see flashes of what this team is going to become only to be brought back to reality with performances like yesterday. As I have said since McVay was hired, I hope to see steady improvement each week, play hard and give themselves a chance to win close ones and never get blown out. Even with the poor defensive performance, and offensive miscues, they still had a chance to win the game. There are still some pieces missing which will make this team a steady playoff contender, and we just need to have patience this coaching staff will continue making the right changes.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A space-eating NT would help to solve most of this.

You know, because 3-4.

I though Mike Purcell looked really good in preseason but they released him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I will start by saying the Redskins have a very good o-line. Probably one of the better ones we'll face all season especially in the run game. So there is that.

Yes, and the adjustments were made at the half but they had already given up 20 points and were down 10, which is a big hole to dig out of for a young O in a new system.

bubba you've nailed it here..........the Redskins looked confident from start to finish. The Rams looked shaky on D in the first half and shaky on O all game.

The INT to stick the fork in the Rams was all on Goff..........he stared down Kupp for about 2 full seconds literally drawing the defender over. And I mean he drew him to the play, he actually looked over at Kupp as he was getting into position so he could get an even better read on where to go for the ball. Goff threw it right to him because he was in the perfect spot to make the INT thanks to Goff's tunnel vision on that play.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
might be lookin at LB early in the draft
Son of
bum likes lower drafted guys for ILB....I think he's found a few UDFA's for Denver...but there are several good young ILB in the draft....hell, there were a couple good FA's running around as well.

I remember last time Washington ran all over us. We all thought our run defense was sunk. If I remember correctly we got it figured out and fixed the run issues real quick.
They did...but I'm not sure that it was ever "fixed"...good o-lines usually run on us.
I though Mike Purcell looked really good in preseason but they released him.
Much better than Walker...and Smart....le-sigh!

The INT to stick the fork in the Rams was all on Goff..........he stared down Kupp for about 2 full seconds literally drawing the defender over. And I mean he drew him to the play, he actually looked over at Kupp as he was getting into position so he could get an even better read on where to go for the ball. Goff threw it right to him because he was in the perfect spot to make the INT thanks to Goff's tunnel vision on that play.
Regardless of how poorly the defense played....we had a chance...and a problem many have noted since 2016 killed our chances to tie the game...This has been noted by so many posters...yet it hasn't been addressed by these geniuses on the new staff...and it came out and bit us in the ass.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
i said in the gameday thread ... Longarce is developing into a nice rotational piece and i like ebukam (although that whiff he had hurt) ..fox is also coming along nicely
UDFA Matt Longacre ex 43 DE( presently the first relief for Quinn & Barwin) was the best all around LB'er on the field yesterday. Matt set the edge hard & gave constant pressure going up against a little known OLT named Trent Williams something or another......Sure made the 4 starting LB'ers (3 first & the other a high second selection) plus the four's massive cap costs look awful silly in giving the Ram Org. much in return value yesterday

Look bottom line here Matt will never be what Quinn was, but currently he has proven in all four pre season games & 2 regular season games to be the best general all around LB'er Wade & the Rams have. Don't be too concern about draft a thumper with in the first two days of the draft either.......Samson Ebukam, Cory Littleton & Cassanova McKinzy are all very young with little experience. I might even say we need to bring up McKinzy from the PS before we loose him. He is a 6-3 260 pound thumper that can replace the thin lightweight Barron (220 lbs plus) if this run "D" continues to gush leaks.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
Somewhere I hope J Lau knows he's missed!

Not by me.....

When evaluating Conner Barwins play....James was the first comparison I thought of, even though they play two different positions.

I'm wondering wtf the Rams were thinking by signing this guy, if he used to be serviceable, then he must have fallen off as fast as James did. James had 7 measurable years, but production fell off year by year for three years straight, ending in his release. Barwin is in his 9th year, with production falling off year by year for the last three years.

I do not anticipate Barwin starting 16 games in this current trend. We may need to consider starting younger legs and using Barwin situationally.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not by me.....

When evaluating Conner Barwins play....James was the first comparison I thought of, even though they play two different positions.

I'm wondering wtf the Rams were thinking by signing this guy, if he used to be serviceable, then he must have fallen off as fast as James did. James had 7 measurable years, but production fell off year by year for three years straight, ending in his release. Barwin is in his 9th year, with production falling off year by year for the last three years.

I do not anticipate Barwin starting 16 games in this current trend. We may need to consider starting younger legs and using Barwin situationally.
Totally. I get that Barron and Tree arent playing well, I see it as adjusting, learning a new scheme. Barwin has played DE in 4-3, and he isnt over pursuing like the youngsters, he just looks slow

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Part of me wants to freak out about the D, but another part reminds me that a lot of our main players rarely played in TC and preseason. I'm willing to give them time. Like 1 1/2 more games, time.

Also does anyone know if Forrest was claimed off waivers? Really liked this dude coming out and thought he was the future.

Ram65

Legend

IIRC Phillips said earlier on (paraphrasing) that he doesn't need a traditional big NT and that he was getting away from that type. At the time I thought it was weird but, he is the Son of A Bum. I could not find the article when he was hired for the Rams but this mentions him using both but, smaller ones for the one gap defense. I'm sure he could have kept Purcell or found a bigger NT but he didn't. Could be that offenses will run more against the smaller quicker 3-4 D Line. Could be the Rams lack discipline and knowledge to be effective early in the season.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-denver-broncos-nfl+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
4. Be willing to adjust the defense around your nose tackle.

This might be one of the secret sauces in Phillips' defensive recipes. He's made his defense work with undersized defensive tackles such as Greg Kragen, Jay Ratliff and others. He's made it work with massive nose tackles such as Ted Washington.

Because Phillips uses the one-gap scheme, he likes his nose tackle to penetrate and attack the line of scrimmage. Normally, a nose tackle is going to two-gap or get double-teamed. To counter that reality, Phillips will take the smaller, lighter nose tackle and stunt him.

"They say those smaller guys can't play nose," Phillips said. "Ted Washington [who was 6-foot-5, 370 pounds] didn't stunt much and played more two-gap. He played the one side and was big enough to fill the gap on the other side and penetrate. But the undersized guys you can stunt. It's all about what they can do."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-why-rams-scheme-change-wont-affect-aaron-donald
Today’s 3-4 defenses are very different animals, and predominantly one-gap systems, just like the 4-3. The NFL is generally a one-gap league these days, and there is very little two-gapping deployed as the league has trended towards smaller, quicker players across the board. Gargantuan nose tackles of the past like Ted Washington, Gilbert Brown and Grady Jackson have been eased out in favor of more athletic players that can move down the line, rush the passer, and not just occupy space. Sub 300-pound defensive tackles are not uncommon, and you will even find 3-4 nose tackles that barely tip the scales at over 300 pounds.