Official Roster Cuts Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
BonifayRam said:
A55VA6 said:
Overall I actually wasn't very impressed with Cody Davis. He was good, then he was bad. I thought he had a chance, but I wasn't as high on him as everyone else was.

It's my opinion that Davis has a very good chance of being our PS one of 8 that is our safety. The Rams have elected to keep two of their five safeties who are presently UNhealthy.Neither have done anything recently in TC or pre season that would merit them winning a spot on our master roster. The fact that those two are the ONLY two safeties who have started any NFL games would be the only reason they are here!

Once the Mac Team Duo have several starts under their belt & they continue to do what they have done in TC & during pre season & get better then the UNhealthy veteran safeties Stewart & Giordano current worth will diminish fast! They Davis & Hall if still available can be brought up.
you make a good point, and i hope you are right.

A55VA6

Legend
Thee's no doubt it would be nice to have Davis on the practice squad. I think eventually he could make this roster, but not right now. I'm getting kind of fed up with Darian Stewart. He's injured every week of every season, it seems.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Practice squad canidates?

I see Davis, Brodine, Veltung, Helmick, Woodard, and????

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

we'll soon find out what the rest of the league thinks of these players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's some of my guesstimates on the possible Practice Squad.

#1-Cody Davis/Safety
#2-Nick Johnson/WR/PR
#3-Mason Brodine DL
#4-Darren Woodard/CB
#5-Ty Nsekhe/OT
#6-Phillip Lutzenkerchen/TE
#7-Drew Thomas/CB
#8-?/QB

Memphis Ram

Legend
PD LINK

QB Davis, LB Hull among Rams players released

By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com > 314-340-8197

Nothing’s official yet, because the Rams have yet to turn anything into the NFL office. They will wait until this afternoon.

But the roster shaping is basically done in terms of the first version of the team’s 53-man roster. On a busy Friday at Rams Park, the team told at least 18 players they were being released.

There were unconfirmed reports that a 19th, wide receiver Justin Veltung, also was being released. A 20th could very well be offensive lineman Sean Hooey, who has been shelved for the past couple of weeks with an ankle injury but may now be healthy.

If Veltung and Hooey are indeed released, the Rams will be at 53. The team had to release only 20 players from its 75-man roster instead of 22 because running back Isaiah Pead and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar begin their NFL suspensions now that the preseason is over and do not count against the 53-man roster.

There were a few mild surprises among Friday’s cuts, but nothing earth-shaking. A rundown of where the roster stands following Friday’s developments:

• At the moment, it appears the Rams will enter the regular season with just two quarterbacks because Austin Davis is being released. That means Sam Bradford will be backed up by Kellen Clemens, who was impressive Thursday night against Baltimore. Davis is practice squad eligible. Clemens did it the hard way, rallying from a 0.0 quarterback rating two weeks ago against Green Bay to complete 13 of 18 for 188 yards against Baltimore with a 105.8 passer rating.

“His rough night in Green Bay — he played a little bit later, didn’t have as great a supporting cast, and Green Bay was doing a lot of exotic pressures,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He was under siege. Last night, he had protection, which he would if he’s going to be in the game with the starters. I thought he executed and did a nice job.”

• In what could be a feel-good story at running back, Chase Reynolds is currently on the 53-man roster. Reynolds has banged around for two years on the practice squad but always seems to fare well in preseason play when given a chance. He scored the game-winning touchdown against the Ravens and could make his first NFL roster — if only for a week — because of the Pead suspension. Also, it looks like the Rams will open the season with no true fullback because undrafted rookie Eric Stevens was let go.

• There were two tough cuts at tight end, with rookie free agent Philip Lutzenkirchen and four-year NFL veteran Zach Potter released. Potter caught a TD pass last week in Denver. That leaves just four tight ends: Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey and Mike McNeill. Harkey is out with a slight fracture of the leg for the next two or three weeks, so the Rams are banking on Kendricks being ready to go for the Sept. 8 season opener, or else they will be thin at the position.

• At wide receiver, if Veltung has indeed been released, it looks like the Rams are keeping only their so-called “Big Five” of Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick and Stedman Bailey. Nick Johnson, who caught his second pass of the preseason, is gone. So is Emory Blake.

• Things went according to chalk on the offensive line, with Ty Nsekhe and D.J. Young both released. That leaves the Rams top-heavy with 11 O-linemen on the roster for now, although it becomes 10 if Hooey goes.

• There were some tough cuts on the defensive line with end-tackle Mason Brodine and end R.J. Washington released. Both had their moments in training and the preseason. Brodine had a fumble recovery against Baltimore. It looks like the Rams will keep nine defensive linemen, with impressive undrafted rookie Gerald Rivers apparently making the squad. End-linebacker Sammy Brown, who was injured most of camp, was also released, as was undrafted rookie tackle Garret Goebel.

• In a mild surprise at linebacker, Josh Hull, one of the Rams’ core special teams players in recent seasons, is being released, a victim of more fleet-footed competition in the form of undrafted rookies Ray Ray Armstrong, Daren Bates and Jonathan Stewart.

“I thought we saw improvement out of the young linebackers, so I think that obviously has increased their chances, especially on special teams,” Fisher said.

• There was lots of activity in the secondary, with cornerbacks Andre Martin, Drew Thomas and Darren Woodard being told they were being released, as well as safeties Cody Davis and Rashard Hall. Those moves left the Rams with 10 defensive backs. Safety could be a little tenuous because Darian Stewart (hamstring) and Matt Giordano (calf) are injured, although Giordano is close to returning. Martin is a St. Louisan from McCluer High.

But keep in mind, this current roster is hardly set in concrete, as Fisher alluded to following the 24-21 victory over the Ravens.

“The roster may look, initially, a little different than it has in the past,” Fisher said. “We may carry more at one position and fewer at the others and look for outside help.”

Such was the case last season, with the Rams claiming four players off waivers in the first two days following the league-wide deadline to reach 53 players: RB Terrance Ganaway, DT Kellen Heard, OT Nsekhe and OG Shelley Smith. In addition, the Rams traded WR Greg Salas to New England for a future draft pick during that time period.

With that in mind, none of the bubble players who survived Friday’s activity should put a down payment on a home just yet.

nighttrain

Legend
Tron said:
BonifayRam said:
A55VA6 said:
Overall I actually wasn't very impressed with Cody Davis. He was good, then he was bad. I thought he had a chance, but I wasn't as high on him as everyone else was.

It's my opinion that Davis has a very good chance of being our PS one of 8 that is our safety. The Rams have elected to keep two of their five safeties who are presently UNhealthy.Neither have done anything recently in TC or pre season that would merit them winning a spot on our master roster. The fact that those two are the ONLY two safeties who have started any NFL games would be the only reason they are here!

Once the Mac Team Duo have several starts under their belt & they continue to do what they have done in TC & during pre season & get better then the UNhealthy veteran safeties Stewart & Giordano current worth will diminish fast! They Davis & Hall if still available can be brought up.
you make a good point, and i hope you are right.
And I hope they are still available
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RAMS ANNOUNCE ROSTER MOVES 

ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Rams made 22 transactions Saturday to reach the NFL-mandated 53-man roster limit. 

The Rams waived the following 19 players:

WR Emory Blake; DE Mason Brodine; LB/DE Sammy Brown; QB Austin Davis; S Cody Davis; DT Garrett Goebel; S Rashard Hall; T Sean Hooey; LB Josh Hull; WR Nick Johnson; TE Philip Lutzenkirchen; CB Andre Martin; TE Zach Potter; FB Eric Stevens; CB Drew Thomas; WR Justin Veltung; T D.J. Young; DE R.J. Washington and CB Darren Woodard. 

In addition, T Ty Nsekhe was waived/injured, and the team placed LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar and RB Isaiah Pead on Reserve-Suspended. Also Saturday, the team reached an injury settlement with OL Ryan Lee, who was waived/injured earlier in the week. 

sent via Tapatalk.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
X said:
RAMS ANNOUNCE ROSTER MOVES 

ST. LOUIS – The St. Louis Rams made 22 transactions Saturday to reach the NFL-mandated 53-man roster limit. 

The Rams waived the following 19 players:

WR Emory Blake; DE Mason Brodine; LB/DE Sammy Brown; QB Austin Davis; S Cody Davis; DT Garrett Goebel; S Rashard Hall; T Sean Hooey; LB Josh Hull; WR Nick Johnson; TE Philip Lutzenkirchen; CB Andre Martin; TE Zach Potter; FB Eric Stevens; CB Drew Thomas; WR Justin Veltung; T D.J. Young; DE R.J. Washington and CB Darren Woodard. 

In addition, T Ty Nsekhe was waived/injured, and the team placed LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar and RB Isaiah Pead on Reserve-Suspended. Also Saturday, the team reached an injury settlement with OL Ryan Lee, who was waived/injured earlier in the week. 

sent via Tapatalk.

I've been away for a week or so but there was a debate on here about whether the Rams keep Helmick, Johnson or Veltung but I see now they've all been released. Presumably because cook is effectively a sixth WR.

Plus is Josh Hull's release a surprise? Don't know much about him but he was being spoken about as a versatile back up with experience of this defence.

Apologies if all of this is answered elsewhere but I can't be bothered to read through all of the posts from while I was away

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
LumberTubs asking for Rams info:

I've been away for a week or so but there was a debate on here about whether the Rams keep Helmick, Johnson or Veltung but I see now they've all been released. Presumably because cook is effectively a sixth WR.

Plus is Josh Hull's release a surprise? Don't know much about him but he was being spoken about as a versatile back up with experience of this defense.
Well you didn't actually ask a question but I'll give you a brief synopsis of our thoughts.

WRs:

Most posters weren't surprised by the rams keeping only 5 WRs because that possibility was kind of leaked by the Rams FO before the last preseason game. After reading a post from Jimitroutboy it was pretty clear that while Helmick flashed early, he was unable to maintain that performance throughout TC and the Preseason so his departure came as no surprise to Jim and to the rest of us in retrospect.

A few thought that Johnson had done enough to make the final 53 but that was a minority view. So again, no surprise there.

Everybody important (me) thought that Veltung had the best chance to make the team due to his return abilities (which were very good IMO) but he failed to cash in on this by his failure to shine as a WR. So no surprise there (just some tears on my part) when he was also cut.

Hopefully one or two of them will make the PS which we'll be working on shortly.

LBs:

Pretty much everyone (except a few no-it-alls :lol: ) was surprised by Hull not making the cut. Ray Ray and Bates (both of whom made the final 53) must have outplayed him by quite a bit because he's not eligible for the PS.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:

Plus is Josh Hull's release a surprise? Don't know much about him but he was being spoken about as a versatile back up with experience of this defense.
Well you didn't actually ask a question but I'll give you a brief synopsis of our thoughts.

WRs:

Most posters weren't surprised by the rams keeping only 5 WRs because that possibility was kind of leaked by the Rams FO before the last preseason game. After reading a post from Jimitroutboy it was pretty clear that while Helmick flashed early, he was unable to maintain that performance throughout TC and the Preseason so his departure came as no surprise to Jim and to the rest of us in retrospect.

A few that that Johnson had done enough to make the final 53 but that was a minority view. So again, no surprise there.

Everybody important (me) thought that Veltung had the best chance to make the team due to his return abilities (which were very good IMO) but he failed to cash in on this by his failure to shine as a WR. So no surprise there (just some tears on my part) when he was also cut.

Hopefully one or two of them will make the PS which we'll be working on shortly.

LBs:

Pretty much everyone (except a few no-it-alls :lol: ) was surprised by Hull not making the cut. Ray Ray and Bates (both of whom made the final 53) must have outplayed him by quite a bit because he's not eligible for the PS.

The guy that made Hull expendable was Jonathon Stewart. Both Bates and Armstrong are OLB, Stewart will now assume the backup MLB role. At least until Dunbar comes back, at which point one of the UDFA's are likely to go.

And while some will say Witherspoon CAN slide inside, I don't see that happening. He is too valuable at this point as the only OLB with ANY experience. And he is limited at this point as a MLB.

Also, I think too much is being made of the WR situation. There would be virtually ZERO chance of SIX guys being active on gameday. I'm would be shocked if one, and more likely TWO guys don't get added to the PS. In the event of a long term injury at WR, a PS guy could be activated.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
albefree69 said:

WRs:

A few that that Johnson had done enough to make the final 53 but that was a minority view. So again, no surprise there.

LBs:

Thanks albe. Forgive my ignorance but what makes someone ineligible for the PS. Is it down to age and/or number of years served in the league?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LumberTubs said:
Thanks albe. Forgive my ignorance but what makes someone ineligible for the PS. Is it down to age and/or number of years served in the league?
A player is ineligible if he has an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.

If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.

A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons. Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Good catch CoachO. I knew I forgot someone.

As for PS eligibility:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4677982/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4 ... ligibility</a>
The NFL roster cutdown process continues on Saturday and teams have until 6 p.m. ET to reduce their roster to 53 active players. Hundreds of players will be released with teams cutting down from 75, although for some, it doesn't mean the end of the road. Teams will begin filling out their practice squads following final cuts and more than 250 players will be signed.

Being on the practice squad isn't the same as being on the active roster, but it's the next best thing. Here are a few rules and details about NFL practice squads.

Practice squad basics

Each NFL team can have up to eight players on their practice squad.
Practice squad players ... practice with the team. They do not play in games.
Not all players are eligible to be signed to NFL practice squads (more on that below).
Practice squad players are paid per week and can be released at any point during the season.
Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, assuming they are signed to the 53-man active roster. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.
A practice squad player can not sign with their team's upcoming opponent, unless they do so six days before the upcoming game or 10 days if their team is currently on a bye week.
If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, they will receiver a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team.
In order to be signed to a practice squad after being released, a player must first clear through waivers.

Eligibility

Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. In fact, players with more than one year of accrued NFL service are not eligible. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.

A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.

Salary

Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,000 per week they are on the practice squad. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad. Some will offer a higher weekly salary in order to entice better players to sign, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have paid practice squad players significantly more in recent seasons. In 2010, Tampa Bay offered wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe a contract worth equivalent to the minimum salary to entice him to sign to its practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season, he would earn $102,000. A player with less than one accrued season on the active roster would earn a minimum salary of $405,000.

fearsomefour

Legend
The most interesting names to me are Wayne Hunter and Barry Richardson. I think Richardson was cut in Tennessee. Hunter is unsigned as far as I know. They both played better than expected last year. Richardson actually had a very good year. Stricly as depth insurance for T either guy would be better than the names I see listed in the cut lists in my opinion.