Official Roster Cuts Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Lesson as stunned as I am:
Both Davis', Hull, and Johnson/Veltung are the cuts that stand out to me the most.

Hull probably shocks me the most since that means the Rams would be carrying 4 UDFA LBs, correct? A. Davis was probably cut due to performance, but he really never ran with any 1s. He has more upside than Clemens.

Veltung/Johnson cuts mean, IMO, they view Cook more as a WR than a TE.

Cody being cut doesn't really shock me, but Daniels stepped up his game. Hopefully Woodard and Martin are signed to the PS.

Not only did I like Hull's play (at MLB only), he's not eligible for the PS. How does that make sense if they signed WW because they needed more experience?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
albefree69 said:
Not only did I like Hull's play (at MLB only), he's not eligible for the PS. How does that make sense if they signed WW because they needed more experience?

I disagree Hull played poorly IMO & was kept mostly because of special teams. They might be looking to add another LB, but I felt Bates & Stewart offered far more upside than the slow footed Hull.

F. Mulder

Starter
FWIW- I was a big A. Davis guy and can't stand Clemons but A Davis was out-played (significantly to me). I'd still rather search for a young cast-off and look to draft a mid-rounder next year.

Reynolds is a try-hard Rudy type player but guys like him are a dime a dozen IMO. Same for Hull who I think an unnamed owner of the site liked a lot. I never was big on Hull. He was a pure MLB with limited up-side.

My surprises are that the Safety they got from Oak (Giardono (SP?)) and B Washington are still there. I liked Cody Davis more and I was high on Washington coming in to the season but he just pure sucked when I watched him. He perfected the Noah Jackson (old Bears OL) method of helping RBs and QBs up after he usually allowed them to get slaughtered.

I like the guys like Ray Ray, Cunningham, Rivers et al. To me they offer high-upside.

Lesson

Oh, really?
albefree69 said:
Both Davis', Hull, and Johnson/Veltung are the cuts that stand out to me the most.

Hull probably shocks me the most since that means the Rams would be carrying 4 UDFA LBs, correct? A. Davis was probably cut due to performance, but he really never ran with any 1s. He has more upside than Clemens.

Cody being cut doesn't really shock me, but Daniels stepped up his game. Hopefully Woodard and Martin are signed to the PS.

I think Witherspoon could play MLB if he had to, while Hull seems to be limited to only MLB.

Ray-Ray/Bates/Rivers/Stewart all making the roster is still shocking to me. I thought Ray-Ray and another one of the three would make the team, but not all 4.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
albefree69 said:

I think Witherspoon could play MLB if he had to, while Hull seems to be limited to only MLB.

Ray-Ray/Bates/Rivers/Stewart all making the roster is still shocking to me. I thought Ray-Ray and another one of the three would make the team, but not all 4.
A couple of weeks ago, I thought that 3 of those guys would make the team, but I can say that I'm not surprised that Bates made it after the way he played, including special teams, the last two weeks. They must be doing well in sessions too.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Lesson reminding me of the past:

When we acquired WW back in the day, he was a fantastic OLB who we immediately miscast in the role of MLB because we had none and hadn't had one ever since we screwed up by not resigning London Fletcher. Many of his best qualities were wasted. Hull is limited to MLB but I thought he was good there. Good and not great but what's all the talk about needing experience?

Bates seemed to be very very good on special teams but I never remember Stewart standing out at all. Head scratchers.

den-the-coach surprising me:
I disagree Hull played poorly IMO & was kept mostly because of special teams. They might be looking to add another LB, but I felt Bates & Stewart offered far more upside than the slow footed Hull.

I felt the same way about Hull when they put him in at OLB but you didn't like him at MLB either? I think PFF thought he was fairly good at that position. Could be wrong about that though.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DR RAM surmising:
They must be doing well in sessions too.
Yeah, that's the only explanation I can think of, which is why I didn't make any predictions about the final cuts. Too many practices we weren't able to monitor to make intelligent decisions. At least as far as I'm concerned.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Ao we get rid of a sure tackler in Cody Davis and keep 2 injured safety's? What sence does that make. Is there some kind of hit we take on the cap if we release those two? Don't get it

Lesson

Oh, really?
JIMERAMS said:
Ao we get rid of a sure tackler in Cody Davis and keep 2 injured safety's? What sence does that make. Is there some kind of hit we take on the cap if we release those two? Don't get it

I liked Cody, but he wasn't a consistently good tackler from what I could tell during the preseason.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If Cody doesn't make our practice squad, ima be sad. With some work i think he could be very good. Has size and speed and decent tackler and good at reading plays, just needs some fine tuning.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Cody started out really well but his play fell off in the last two games. I still thought he'd make it though. Like Tron, I'm hoping he makes the PS.

EDIT: Funny thing is, when nobody else was tackling well he shined and when the rest of the guys improved he regressed.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
albefree69 said:
Cody started out really well but his play fell off in the last two games. I still thought he'd make it though. Like Tron, I'm hoping he makes the PS.
i really thought he'd make it too, can't believe we kept Giordino or w/e his name is over him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Remember that some of these guys are just holding roster spots until the Rams claim a few guys off of waivers. After they add a vet or two at some thin positions, I would assume an injured safety, a rookie lb, and a back up OL will be let go and then added to the PS if possible. Just remember the manuevering they did last year. I would expect some more this year even with a better overall roster.

A55VA6

Legend
Overall I actually wasn't very impressed with Cody Davis. He was good, then he was bad. I thought he had a chance, but I wasn't as high on him as everyone else was.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I wasn't terribly surprised by any cuts either, all the obvious ones have been mentioned the only one I could add to the list is Brodine I liked him but he was very Raw . I am glad we kept Conrath and Rivers though.
All and all we have a better roster than last year and I lay steep odds we add a vet LB at the very least

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A55VA6 said:
Overall I actually wasn't very impressed with Cody Davis. He was good, then he was bad. I thought he had a chance, but I wasn't as high on him as everyone else was.

It's my opinion that Davis has a very good chance of being our PS one of 8 that is our safety. The Rams have elected to keep two of their five safeties who are presently UNhealthy.Neither have done anything recently in TC or pre season that would merit them winning a spot on our master roster. The fact that those two are the ONLY two safeties who have started any NFL games would be the only reason they are here!

Once the Mac Team Duo have several starts under their belt & they continue to do what they have done in TC & during pre season & get better then the UNhealthy veteran safeties Stewart & Giordano current worth will diminish fast! They Davis & Hall if still available can be brought up.

nighttrain

Legend
JIMERAMS said:
:boing: :plus1: :huhidk:
train