Official Rams Cuts and Practice Squad Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Why is there not a "well that's fucking strange" button? Maybe right next to different opinion.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
He's already on our PS we'd have the ability to activate him to the 53 if they really wanted him and somebody tried to claim him.
True, but that rarely happens and it may have to do with the money offered him.
They should have put Brandon Allen on the practice squad and kept Hodge.

I can't see anybody wanting Allen moreso.
Hodge at least looked good in the preseason.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
My understanding, which is perfectly capable of being wrong, is that we could but we'd have to put him on our 53 man to do so.
He'd have to agree to leave, so theoretically the Rams could offer to give him a nice raise if they couldn't fit him on on the active roster. Being on an active roster somewhere is still probably better than being a highly paid PS member, but you never know.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
but don't they have to be on their active roster for at least 3 weeks after they sign them?

No, but they are assured 3 weeks pay.

There was an instance last year, I think where guy got picked up, waived the next week, signed to a PS and then signed by another team in the span of like a week.

So, in two weeks, the guy got 6 weeks pay.

That's the only reason I know, because I remember that happening and thinking it was odd.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I would've agreed with you until I paid attention to how he ran his routes and realized he couldn't run a route even if he was hit in the head by a GPS. He has good hands, but most of the time the Quarterback will never have any idea of where he will be. Something that's pretty important in football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but that rarely happens and it may have to do with the money offered him.
They should have put Brandon Allen on the practice squad and kept Hodge.

I can't see anybody wanting Allen moreso.

Hodge will be fine where he is. Guys like Corey Coleman, Amara Darboh, Chad Hansen, Brice Butler, Breshad Perriman, Carlos Henderson, Braxton Miller, Leonte Carroo, Isaiah Ford, ArDarius Stewart, etc. were all cut. Simply put, the NFL is saturated with WRs right now.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
No, but they are assured 3 weeks pay.

There was an instance last year, I think where guy got picked up, waived the next week, signed to a PS and then signed by another team in the span of like a week.

So, in two weeks, the guy got 6 weeks pay.

That's the only reason I know, because I remember that happening and thinking it was odd.
That makes sense.
It woulfn't fair to take a guy off of practice squad where is he at least getting paid and then put him on the street a week later.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now let's hope nobody else picks him up for there 53.
Lol. If someone wanted him, they would have claimed him off waivers. Now he hasn’t to be guaranteed a spot on the 53 man. Ain’t happening

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dumb Question (I have a lot of them!)! Let’s say the 49’s offered Hodge a spot on their 53 roster would the Rams be able to block that if they put him on their 53 roster or would that be up to Hodge where he went or would he have to go to the 49’s since they made the original offer? I really like Hodge and am hoping he eventually makes the Rams regular roster!
I don’t know if this answers the question but if the 49ers wanted him, he would have to have a spot on the 53 man. The Rams could keep him by putting him on their 53 man roster. That’s what happened to the Rams when they wanted Ryan Griffin on the Saints practice squad a couple years ago

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'd have to agree to leave, so theoretically the Rams could offer to give him a nice raise if they couldn't fit him on on the active roster. Being on an active roster somewhere is still probably better than being a highly paid PS member, but you never know.
Nope

Does a practice squad player have to stay on the practice squad?
  • A practice squad player can be signed by another team, as long as the signing team adds the player to the 53-man roster. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another team’s practice squad.
  • A player can, however, be signed to another team’s practice squad if their original team releases them.
  • An opponent cannot sign a player off of a rival’s practice squad to use them to prepare for an upcoming game. Say the Saints are getting ready to play the Falcons, and Asshole Face wants to be sneaky, so New Orleans wants to sign a player off of Atlanta’s practice squad. The Saints can’t do that fewer than five days before the game against the Falcons, and if there’s a bye week before that matchup, the minimum is nine days.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Nope

Does a practice squad player have to stay on the practice squad?
  • A practice squad player can be signed by another team, as long as the signing team adds the player to the 53-man roster. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another team’s practice squad.
  • A player can, however, be signed to another team’s practice squad if their original team releases them.
  • An opponent cannot sign a player off of a rival’s practice squad to use them to prepare for an upcoming game. Say the Saints are getting ready to play the Falcons, and Asshole Face wants to be sneaky, so New Orleans wants to sign a player off of Atlanta’s practice squad. The Saints can’t do that fewer than five days before the game against the Falcons, and if there’s a bye week before that matchup, the minimum is nine days.
What's the nope? Does that say somewhere a player is forced to sign with an interested team?

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
This part you said
If a team tries to claim a guy the player doesn't have any say in it. It's up to the team to put him on their 53 man or they lose him.
Yeah. I think you're wrong on this. Even the article you quoted states "A practice squad player can be signed by another team." to be signed, the player would have to agree.

The Cowboys kept Rico Gathers on their practice squad and away from the Raiders, who were willing to sign him and place him on their 53 man roster. They just paid him more and Gathers didn't want to leave.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Lol. If someone wanted him, they would have claimed him off waivers. Now he hasn’t to be guaranteed a spot on the 53 man. Ain’t happening
Lol. Probably not but injuries happen and believe it or not people have picked up players off of other people's practice squads.
Including the Rams. Lol.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can anyone shed light o why we've kept 3 QBs + Perez on the practice squad?
Mcvay not having trust in anyone of the backups and hedging his bets .. or its gives him some flexibility on cutting people if he needs/wants to sign anyone is my train of (seriously hungover shouldnt have drunk for ten hours on a Sunday with work the next day ) thought