Official: Quinn to LB, Joyner to S, Grob to RT, more from McVay...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Didn't copy/paste well and link has videos of McVay interview. But no surprises.

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Which-Rams-May-Shift-Positions-in-2017/f2d35d11-9805-4595-ae0d-a7bb6d9ea120

With the Rams’ new coaching staff bringing fresh offensive and defensive systems, there will be a few players shifting positions on their respective units.

One of the more significant changes should be for defensive backLamarcus Joyner, who is set to see time at free safety during Los Angeles’ offseason program. Joyner has primarily played as a slot corner in his first three pro seasons, occasionally working on the outside in a pinch.

“He shows up [on film] and you want to find as many ways to get him on the field as possible,” head coach Sean McVay said of Joyner on Monday. “Whether that’s him at nickel — which I think he’s one of the elite players at that spot in this league — or the safety, I think you see an instinctual player that has a great feel for the game. I think our coaching staff has done a nice job targeting him as a player that we have to make sure that he’s on the grass, he’s competing.”

When L.A. signed defensive backNickell Robey-Coleman, it gave the club some flexibly to move Joyner. The USC product has also primarily played at slot corner for Buffalo over the last four years, making a pair of interceptions in last year’s Rams-Bills matchup in October.

Shifting Joyner to free safety also fills a need internally, asMaurice Alexanderis expected to shift to strong safety following T.J. McDonald’s departure to Miami in free agency.

While moving to safety will be an adjustment for Joyner, it’s one McVay sounded confident the defensive back can make. The head coach noted much of what Joyner has been doing as a slot corner translates to what he’ll be asked to do in his new role.

“I think our coaching staff has done a nice job figuring out ways we can make that transition smooth,” McVay said. “I think it’s just getting comfortable — he is an instinctual player. And just understanding some of those exit angles, some of those break points, based on starting from 15 yards off as opposed to down where you’re 10-yards within the line of scrimmage, will be a little bit different. But I think you’ve seen examples of great guys be able to do both across the league and we’re hoping that he’ll be able to do the same thing for us.”

Robert Quinnhas also been brought up throughout the offseason as someone in line for a position change. With the Rams’ shift to a 3-4 base defensive front, Quinn is now officially listed on the Rams’ roster as an outside linebacker instead of a defensive end. Nevertheless, his role role is expected to remain largely the same.

“For all intents and purposes, Robert will line up as the Will linebacker, but he’s a rush player. He’ll play a similar role to what DeMarcus Ware did in Denver for Wade the last couple of years,” McVay said. “I think he’s going to still be, he’s going to be an elite rusher in this league for years and that’s what we’re hoping to do with him moving forward.”

“From my understanding, what we’re going to ask him to do is going to be pretty much the same — do you and do your ‘Bernie’ and all that stuff,” middle linebackerAlec Ogletreesaid. “It’ll be good, we’re definitely looking to get him back and stay healthy.”

Offensively, the Rams have made it clear players will be shifting along the offensive line. Signing left tackleAndrew Whitworthprompted L.A. to moveGreg Robinsonover to the right side to compete at tackle, which both McVay and general manager Les Snead addressed at the Combine. But Robinson’s move is expected to kickRob Havensteininside to guard. Havenstein has started 28 games at right tackle since his selection in the second round of the 2015 draft.

“I think when he was coming out, you looked at Rob as a potential guy to be able to move inside and do some of those things. Really, going back two years, I thought he’s put some excellent tape out there as far as playing that right tackle position,” McVay said, adding Havenstein has a strong ability to process football information. “I think he and Greg working in coordination, in unison, will be able to help both of those guys.”

Based on his comments on Monday, it appears McVay will begin the offseason program with Whitworth at left tackle,Rodger Saffoldat left guard,John Sullivanat center, Havenstein at right guard, and Robinson at right tackle. McVay also mentionedJamon Browncould be in the mix for the offensive line, which could change plenty between now and Week 1 in September.

“I think we’ve got some good depth up front and I’m excited to see how these guys process that information and then translate it to the grass once we get the OTAs started in Phase III,” McVay said.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-17_10-39-22.gif
    upload_2017-4-17_10-39-22.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 107

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing I took from this is that he specifically says Grob with compete for RT and that Jamon Brown is in the mix. So in other words, Havenstein might still end up at RT and Brown at RG if Grob sucks it up in camp.

jap

Legend
I expect to see Brown as the starting LG by Week Two of not Week One. For all his workout heroics, Beetlejuice has such a fragile body.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jamon Brown needs to show me a tad more because I've seen nothing from him at this standpoint. Maybe being in a more physical type of scheme will serve him well, but in his first season, Wichmann outplayed especially in pass protections and last year, well, the whole line was an epic fail so nobody looked good.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Jamon Brown needs to show me a tad more because I've seen nothing from him at this standpoint. Maybe being in a more physical type of scheme will serve him well, but in his first season, Wichmann outplayed especially in pass protections and last year, well, the whole line was an epic fail so nobody looked good.
I'm with ya.
RReports from Fisher had him as a future all pro his first training camp.
That got me excited for Brown....but it never materialised. Injuries don't help

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brown will do the work, so I expect him to hit it off with our new OL coach right out the gate. Same deal with Havenstein. Not sure which will go where on the right side, would assume Havenstein wins RT, but Brown has experience all over so it will be fun to watch.

I have zero expectations for Robinson. New staff might excite him, but he will struggle mentally and make excuses and hopefully this regime won't buy into all that.

Name
Steve
Brown will do the work, so I expect him to hit it off with our new OL coach right out the gate. Same deal with Havenstein. Not sure which will go where on the right side, would assume Havenstein wins RT, but Brown has experience all over so it will be fun to watch.

I have zero expectations for Robinson. New staff might excite him, but he will struggle mentally and make excuses and hopefully this regime won't buy into all that.

Same. Robinson is essentially a proven bust at this point.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I have read all of the quotes in the article before.

As far as Jamon Brown?

Remember how doofus Boudreau kept moving him from RG to LG in camp and the preseason in 2015?

The guy never settled down and then had a severe injury.

Then last year he had to play between Barnes and an injured Havenstein.

I think he'll be fine once he settles down in one position and gets some support from the other guys on the line.

I see him starting at Right Guard with Havenstein back at Right Tackle.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Anyway you slice it, it'll be at least 3 athletic tackles out there which is something I've wanted to see for awhile. I wanted Whitworth a couple years ago but late is better than never. Remember, Barron was seen as somewhat of a bust before Williams got in his head so with grobs overall improvement down last year's stretch, I still hold out hope that he puts it together and ends up a starter at either the guard or tackle position. Saffold may have to get hurt in order for that to transpire but crazier things have happened, right? I actually feel the best I've felt in many years about the oline and the draft is still ahead.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
IMHO, I think they have a lot of talent on the O line. I don't know if it was poor teaching/coaching, poor offensive philosophy or maybe I'm wrong and they just suck. I'd like to think the former and that we will be able to field 5 quality starters and a couple of decent backups out of the guys we currently have on the roster. Makes no difference to this Ram fan if GRob and Saffold are starters, backups or cap casualties. But based on their overall 2016 performance Kromer is going to have to earn his paycheck.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's funny how so many have given up on Greg Robinson....and the whole line looked terrible. Lets see who Kromer "likes"....and who he doesn't "like". I see injuries deciding these battles...and we all know who the healthiest lineman is...don't we????

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good points PA, LA. I don't know what to think of the OL due to total incompetence by the coaching staff. I can't believe all these guys they drafedt over the last couple of years are all busts. I can't call GRob a bust given that all he's had for a coach is Boudreau, who in 5 years hasn't improved one player or improved the OL. In fact it got worse.

All eyes will be on the OL. It all starts up front. Adding two vets will help, but there are still questions about how much they have left in the tank. Will Sully get pushed around like Barnes? Hard to believe he could be worse.

Releasing Tim Barnes and signing Andrew Whitworth in their fist personel moves proves to me the new coaching staff had the OL as their #1 priority to fix. Add to that releasing Boo and hiring Aaron Kromer.

My point being we can't know until pre-season games what the Rams OL is going to look like or how good they perform. We can't know how long it will take the new OL coaches. My guess is there will be growing pains (again), continuity issues (again), players being shuffled around (again) before Kromer settles on a set OL and it won't look like anything we have discussed here. All What Boudreau failed at.

When I attended TC last summer at Irvine I paid a lot of attention to the OL unit. They did a lot of standing around while Boo was preaching at them, and I know they all couldn't hear him. and why is this being done on the field and not the classroom? Why weren't they doing more snaps?

I sure hope Kromer can work his magic. If this OL plays with the same results as last year the Rams are in BIG trouble.

IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT!

A55VA6

Legend
Someone on Twitter told me Quinn to OLB is a waste of talent. I tried explaining things to him, but he's a top level idiot. Some people really don't understand the game of football, all they understand is touchdowns.

Psycho_X

Legend
It's funny how so many have given up on Greg Robinson....and the whole line looked terrible. Lets see who Kromer "likes"....and who he doesn't "like". I see injuries deciding these battles...and we all know who the healthiest lineman is...don't we????

So your different opinion is that Grob should be handed the RT job and not compete for it and Brown should not get a shot at the RG job? I'm not giving up on a single player currently on our roster as I have been brutally critical of the entire offensive coaching staff they've had the last 3-5 years. I have hope every player on our roster can be great players in the right system and tutelage. But Grob won't be and shouldn't be handed anything anymore. McVay doesn't give two craps where he was drafted. As an incoming coach with everything to prove he only cares about performance. It's going to be refreshing... hopefully for a long time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So your different opinion is that Grob should be handed the RT job and not compete for it and Brown should not get a shot at the RG job?
Not exactly....I don't think any player in the past Rams offenses were coached properly....So, of course the best players should play. I just think that a guy with G-Rob's talent, will beat out every single lineman on our team. I actually think Jamon Brown & Greg Robinson should start on the right side to get the running game going over there. But we'll know more during training camp...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not exactly....I don't think any player in the past Rams offenses were coached properly....So, of course the best players should play. I just think that a guy with G-Rob's talent, will beat out every single lineman on our team. I actually think Jamon Brown & Greg Robinson should start on the right side to get the running game going over there. But we'll know more during training camp...

Agree on Greg Robinson . I still think is The Rams LT of the future ,unless he is just tongood to move. The Rams will workout a long term contract if worthy ?
His play will determine that. If for some reason he is a bust Snead & the front office would have really (F) messed up !!!

Rob Hav is an excellent run blocker. He amazes me how smooth he is getting downfield & creating run lanes. I'm impressed by his long arms & timing.When he played RT his rookie year , he would always just barley hold the edge by using his arms.He first step out was really poor.Once his injury happened it al went to crap.I think that the coaching staff has a handle on things , & really focus on details .They really seem to do a GreaT job on finding strengths & weakness. Then once they get into the details the players will Shine !!
Jamon Brown might be better on the left side of the ball ?? I just remember going to UCI & watching one drill. The were getting ready to switch drills.
He was going up against Aaron Donald & just looked awful. I was very disappointed. It was flat out embarrassing. He had to do it 3 times in a row, whiffed everytime.Really bad of the ball.He is still young & raw.
I think at every position you have to compete , plus there has to be depth for injuries . I really like we're The Rams offensive line is at , especially if you look back to Fisher having these guys all start as rookies.
Add another year & better coaching. The talent is there.

Psycho_X

Legend

Grob is definitely the most physically talented for sure. Hopefully he clicks in McVays system and with the new coaches. He definitely needs to be in a system that requires him to attack more than think. Our old offensive system was such a joke... have never seen such a simplistic system as far as plays and play calling went but seemingly overly complicated as far as jobs and assignments went if the rumors are true.

New beginnings will show us a lot this season.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A55VA6, so your friend is a TST troll?:mrburnsevil:

I don't care if its Arkin, Murphy and Williams that start next to Sully and Whitworth. Just start the best five.

I have concerns about Havenstien. If he's still favoring that foot he may not be starting at all.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Robinson. ..... he will struggle mentally and make excuses and hopefully this regime won't buy into all that.
So basically more of the same.

I am baffled by anybody who sees anything different than that.

I don't know what they're basing it on.

Hope?
Upside?
Scouting reports?
Combine measurables?
Coach speak?

All I have seen is abject failure from the world's slowest learner.