Offense wins Championships

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure why the article focused on the 69ers. They have a great defense and a limited offense clearly tilted to a run game. A great offense starts and ends with a great QB. Which they do not have and hopefully will not have for years.
I cherry picked a small part of that article from a bigger piece.

The writer is the Jourdan Rodrigue equivalent for the 49’ers.

The context is the 49’ers defense might be great, but their strategy needs to shift to great offense. Per author.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
KC definitely had issues on defense and I figured that would cost them in these playoffs but it never did. So yeah this year the offense got it done. No doubt about it.

dang

Legend
I cherry picked a small part of that article from a bigger piece.

The writer is the Jourdan Rodrigue equivalent for the 49’ers.

The context is the 49’ers defense might be great, but their strategy needs to shift to great offense. Per author.
Thanks for the context. I’m a 69er hater so always looking for an angle to shit on their cornflakes.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
KC definitely had issues on defense and I figured that would cost them in these playoffs but it never did. So yeah this year the offense got it done. No doubt about it.
Oh, so now Merlin and the defense don't matter so much, ya bastid!? Turn in your shellback card!

Tano

Legend
That's a first. I never heard that about Ramsey celebrating? The fact is that Donald made a Hall of Fame defensive play, the still picture of which will be in his HOF display next to his Bust (IMO), and I was asserting that a great defense is necessary in response to the OP.
I replayed the play from All 22 and it clearly showed Ramsey was on his man and then he looked back and saw Donald grabbing Burrows and throwing him like a rag doll. Ramsey then did a little jump in the air and slipped and fell. It was bang bang but you can see the little jump Ramsey was about to do

oldnotdead

Legend
Flint
"Wow, that was really aggressive, so he’s lazy and a slacker. I get the feeling you’re not a fan."

His schemes are simplistic. There is little attempt to confuse the QB. He allows the vast majority of the receptions to be uncontested. Short passes are almost always there for the taking.

This is likely Donald's last season. He deserves a better DC. Morris' schemes are so soft that the pass rush rarely has time to get to the QB. It's why I would love to see AD play edge his final season. With AD and Floyd on the edges that will really contain mobile QBs and not give the QBs time to simply sit back and survey the soft zones that Morris uses. With Gaines on the interior all they need is one more interior defender to step up. Copeland has flashed at 3T I wouldn't be surprised to see him at DT this year.

DE Donald
NT Gaines
DT Copeland
JACK Floyd

MIKE Jones
WIL Wagner

SCB Durant
SS Lake
FS Scott
RCB Ramsey
LCB Rochell

With Donald at DE they now have speed and power on both edges of the OL. They have power and quickness on the IDL with Gaines and Copeland. They have far and away more speed with Durant, Rochell, and Lake who gives them that SS who can give them good run support but has the speed lacking in Rapp to also cover. With Durant, they will have a SCB with the speed to not get outrun by a Y WR. Ramsey and Rochell gives them outstanding speed on both boundaries. Scott has bloomed into a very good and underrated FS.

What was Morris thinking when he played the slowest and least athletic guys he had on his roster in his secondary? Even as Kendrick got burned repeatedly he stuck with him. The few times he played man coverage he stuck with Kendrick and Hill both of whom lack the speed to play that kind of coverage. WTF was Morris thinking? He was playing his buddies, not who was best. So yeah that's what I call lazy. He's fhe fucking DC, yet Morris acted like he didn't know his roster.

During the regular season, this defense was absolutely mediocre, earning that middle of the pack rating. But in the playoffs, they played as the #2 defense in the playoffs??!! Why didn't Morris play his guys to that level in the regular season? You may laud him for that but IMO it exposed Morris as DC who doesn't put in the work in the regular season to gameplan on a weekly basis. Morris is still on the team because he's McVay's friend. He's not as good as the media portrays him to be.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I think if the Rams want to get back to the Superbowl Morris needs to go. Look at what Wink did immediately with Giants they let Bradberry go their best corner. They had a no name defense only Williams is someone anyone knew. Their rookie Thideaux didn't play for most of the season yet their D over achieved. We had Wagner, AD, Floyd, Gaines a healthy AShawn, Jones growing and Ramsey yet imo we massively underachieved. Maybe that's somewhat attributable to try poor Offense play forcing the Defense to endure shorter rests, and having to endure more on field snaps etc I don't think so I watched the games like you all did to me it was Morris' schemes.

Coaches make differences like I mentioned Wink look at Fischer vs McVay. Look at the year prior to Morris coming we were #1 in defense what was the difference? We didn't have Wagner nor Von but I believe it was Staley. Admittedly he is not ready for prime time as a HC in SD imo but as. DC he is really solid.

I think this off-season will be the most interesting off-season in a while. I can't wait to see what McVay and Les learned from such a trying season especially when it comes to 2 areas - the DC and the OL. When we brought Whit and Sullivan in it changed the complete dynamic of the Offense. Hopefully the brain trust doesn't get fooled into thinking that we had a bunch of injuries and others got massive valuable time playing and with that combo we will be fine - imo that will not be the case we will not be fine. We need a upgrade at LT and LG or C but 2 of the 3 must be upgraded. And secondly Morris must go. Just because he knows all the players and has 2 full years under his belt here is not the reason to keep him. It is his bad judgement on play calling and not having a aggressive attacking mindset.

Like I said it will be interesting.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
You still need a good enough defense to win a championship. But a great offense mitigates the need for a great defense. If you want a great offense you need a great quarterback. Simple as that. How many teams have won Superbowls with an average quarterback? Heck, the ones that did had the good fortune to have their average quarterback play like a great one at the right time. Guys like Flacco and Foles aren't gonna be in the Hall of Fame. But they had a great game in the Superbowl. So its still all about the quarterback.

Tano

Legend
You still need a good enough defense to win a championship. But a great offense mitigates the need for a great defense. If you want a great offense you need a great quarterback. Simple as that. How many teams have won Superbowls with an average quarterback? Heck, the ones that did had the good fortune to have their average quarterback play like a great one at the right time. Guys like Flacco and Foles aren't gonna be in the Hall of Fame. But they had a great game in the Superbowl. So its still all about the quarterback.
Unless it is the Baltimore Ravens vs New York Giants

Trent Dilfer stats

12-25 153 yds 1 td

and they still beat them 34-7

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Elite QB and great defense would be my basic model as a GM.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Unless it is the Baltimore Ravens vs New York Giants

Trent Dilfer stats

12-25 153 yds 1 td

and they still beat them 34-7
Outliers , and that was an elite D, much like the ‘85 Bears and McMahon who was not an elite QB.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A list for anyone who likes lists:

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD
Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD
Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD
Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD
Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 1 TDs
Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,
Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD
Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs
Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD
Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs
Super Bowl 52: Nick Foles (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 53: Tom Brady (Julian Edelman), 0TDs
Super Bowl 54: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 55: Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 56: Matthew Stafford (Cooper Kupp), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 57: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 3 TDs

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is true - just saying it does happen occasionally
And so does a Kurt Warner or Tom Brady, but odds are much better with a QB drafted in 1st 2-3 rounds
Outliers are outliers.