Offense wins Championships

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A great Offense wins Championships. A great Defense, helps you get there.

I saw this article at the Athletic (below) and grabbed the first part if it for discussion purpose.

To win in today’s NFL, you need to be better on Offense, than Defense. The Chiefs don’t register on the top defense lists until sorting by YPG, where they come in at #11.

Defense stats, PPG:
1. SF
2. Buffalo
3. Baltimore
5. Cowboys
6. Bengals
8. Eagles
16. Chiefs

Defense YPG:
1. SF
2. Philly
6. Buffalo
10. Baltimore
11. Chiefs

On offense, the Chiefs were #1 in YPG and PPG.

In this NFL era, it’s not even a debate anymore: Offense wins championships. Great offense. Variable offense. Offense, offense and more offense is what produces championships. Plural.

I don’t think Kyle Shanahan, John Lynch and the rest of the 49ers’ brain trust or any of the top guys on their roster needed any extra reminder of this from the Chiefs’ high-octane, 38-35 Super Bowl victory over the Eagles in Glendale, Ariz., on Sunday. The 49ers are already moving all-in on the offensive side these days, pending the recovery of a young quarterback or two. They’re running the same race all the best teams are committed to — and these franchises all have the benefit of knowing it’s the only one worth running in.

It’s important to have a solid defense, of course. A great defense, like the 49ers, Eagles and a few other playoff teams had this season, is very handy in the toughest matchups. You need to be able to slow down big-time offenses as much as possible. A huge pass rush can knock a great QB down or out. But it’s also largely impossible to stop a great offense when the QB and play caller are really humming, which is what we all saw from the Chiefs in Sunday’s perfect second half.

Great offensive play is the singular most important element in Super Bowl victories in at least the last decade, and if you had any question about that, you just had to watch Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ imaginative and relentless offense spin the Eagles’ defense around in every important moment.
(The most predictive element of a perennial Super Bowl contender, and multiple winner, is, of course, having an all-time great QB in his prime, which is the definition of Mahomes. But having a HOF-caliber QB guarantees a good-to-great offense, so we’re basically talking about the same thing here.)

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO you need both a good offense and defense.

During the regular season in 2021 the Rams were ranked 17th defensively in the regular season. But because Morris tightened his scheme up they ranked #2 in the playoffs.

During the regular 2021 season the Ram offense was ranked 9th. In the playoffs they ranked 4th of the playoff teams.

So guess what that showed you need both to win in the playoffs and in a Super Bowl.

This is why I keep saying Morris is foolish because he didn't learn a thing from last year. Only that being 17th in the regular season was good enough for that year. And people would welcome him back this year? What if 17th doesn't get them into the playoffs which normally it won't.

oldnotdead

Legend
Yes as I stated Morris changed his base scheme and boosted his defense from 17th in the NFL to #2 of the playoff teams. If he had played his regular season scheme the Rams get bounced out of the playoffs early.

But it shows what his personnel are capable of when he plays them aggressively. So why doesn't he play that way all season? Maybe they could have been the #1 seed instead of a wildcard. IMO he's lazy that's why. He doesn't have to gameplan each week. He simply rolls out his base prevent and ho hum. His game planning is just whether he wants Ramsey to follow a particular WR. Meanwhile he plays the least talented DBs as his starters, i.e. Kendrick, Long and Hill while benching Durant and Rochell. No excuse for that shit.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yes, it's all about the offense. True, you need a decent defense too. But the better the offense is, the less the need for 'that' defense. Then there's that part of the game that can ruin it all but is rarely discussed until it does. Special teams. It could be argued without Toney's wild punt return, that game has a different outcome. But yeah, the days of 'defense wins championships' died when Bill Walsh and Don Coryell changed the NFL in the 80's with an exception here or there (Chicago 1985 and Baltimore 2000). And rule changes have overwhelmingly favored offense. You don't win a 0-0 game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In our case, the DB's need to cover the short pass game so Aaron Donald and the Dline can get to the QB. Joe Burrow the golden boy had a wide open receiver at the end of the Super Bowl 56 that he couldn't see because AD got to him, ending the game. There were other big stops made that game, to compliment Stafford to Kupp plays. Defense is still critical.

Tano

Legend
In our case, the DB's need to cover the short pass game so Aaron Donald and the Dline can get to the QB. Joe Burrow the golden boy had a wide open receiver at the end of the Super Bowl 56 that he couldn't see because AD got to him, ending the game. There were other big stops made that game, to compliment Stafford to Kupp plays. Defense is still critical.
Not you too

Tano

Legend
Yes, it's all about the offense. True, you need a decent defense too. But the better the offense is, the less the need for 'that' defense. Then there's that part of the game that can ruin it all but is rarely discussed until it does. Special teams. It could be argued without Toney's wild punt return, that game has a different outcome. But yeah, the days of 'defense wins championships' died when Bill Walsh and Don Coryell changed the NFL in the 80's with an exception here or there (Chicago 1985 and Baltimore 2000). And rule changes have overwhelmingly favored offense. You don't win a 0-0 game.
I'll show you << Jeff Fisher

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The open receiver happened after Donald grabbed the QB and Ramsey fell while jumping in the air celebrating
Yeah, but Donald used his "best move" to get to Burrow. Excellent defensive play, without which, Burrow has time to see the open receiver. If that receiver catches the ball, they were in FG range, at the very least.

Tano

Legend
Yeah, but Donald used his "best move" to get to Burrow. Excellent defensive play, without which, Burrow has time to see the open receiver. If that receiver catches the ball, they were in FG range, at the very least.
Thing is - Ramsey had that guy covered until Donald started sacking the QB and Ramsey fell while celebrating.

I believe Ramsey would not have fallen if Donald had not gotten to the QB. But Burrows may have gotten a short completion.

dang

Legend
Not sure why the article focused on the 69ers. They have a great defense and a limited offense clearly tilted to a run game. A great offense starts and ends with a great QB. Which they do not have and hopefully will not have for years.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing is - Ramsey had that guy covered until Donald started sacking the QB and Ramsey fell while celebrating.

I believe Ramsey would not have fallen if Donald had not gotten to the QB. But Burrows may have gotten a short completion.
That's a first. I never heard that about Ramsey celebrating? The fact is that Donald made a Hall of Fame defensive play, the still picture of which will be in his HOF display next to his Bust (IMO), and I was asserting that a great defense is necessary in response to the OP.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Balance, good play from all three phases is needed in addition to the ability of those phases to make key plays. Yeah it's an offensive league but you need to be decent in all three phases.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Baltimore Ravens are the only "defense first" team I can recall that won a SB. Otherwise it may be more like "The better defense that day" would be a more appropriate way to define it

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes as I stated Morris changed his base scheme and boosted his defense from 17th in the NFL to #2 of the playoff teams. If he had played his regular season scheme the Rams get bounced out of the playoffs early.

But it shows what his personnel are capable of when he plays them aggressively. So why doesn't he play that way all season? Maybe they could have been the #1 seed instead of a wildcard. IMO he's lazy that's why. He doesn't have to gameplan each week. He simply rolls out his base prevent and ho hum. His game planning is just whether he wants Ramsey to follow a particular WR. Meanwhile he plays the least talented DBs as his starters, i.e. Kendrick, Long and Hill while benching Durant and Rochell. No excuse for that shit.

SUCH BS!!! Yeah ok Durant imo STIMKS compared to Kendrick & it’s going to show!!

Going to LMFAO at all the doubters & know it alls? Like I’m being right now. Just drink the Kook-aide for Rams & believe in a lot what they do. -Like Mcvay has no say either? He is the HC & whoever wants to think he isn’t putting his voice into any of this? Well has what they want to think.
I’ll say what Jalen & Raheem say,even though Ramsey had to use it as a tool of how well he played. Stats are for losers!!

Was the last game against the Hags? Guess I’m going to count how many missed tackles this Durant (26) rookie missed.I’ll add The Rams have some players IMO will improve a lot the next couple of seasons,because of age & upside.

Bobby Brown - baby Huey
Derion Kendrick’s- 6’ 190(exp)

Kyren Williams needs training camp
Cam & Tutu Atwell - players that The Rams will sign to extensions moving forward & will both make a lot of money in The NFL

Ernest Jones -man he really just gets it & having Bobby Wagner with him will really show up in 2023.

Earnest Brown - reminds me of Micheal Brocker in a lot of ways when younger.This guy is going to improve more than any Ram fan thinks.A’ Robinson is that player IMO needs to resign.He is such a mentor to players like The Brown Bro’s.

The Rams are built through Mentorship’s.Talk about Brown Bro’s,well on the opposite it was more the mentors vs. Mentories
Thomas Brown took over as RB coach & Malcom Brown came back to The Rams after getting cut from Miami. The improvement of Cam Akers is just another example of how The Rams(Mcvay)structures itself.

Ram65

Legend
All three phases of the game affect if a team wins or losses. Also, coaching plays a part in the outcome of many games. Was it the KC offense that won the game or the Philly defense and Special Teams that lost the game?

Here in Philly, they are putting the loss on a poor defensive effort and poor defensive coaching. They didn't attack an injured Mahomes with many blitzes (about 4) and playing a soft zone. Does that soft zone sound familiar? The Eagles defense didn't make ANY plays while the Chiefs defense scored a TD on a forced fumble.

A poor punt and coverage lead great field position for the Chiefs and an easy TD. That's 14 points the Eagles handed the Chiefs that had little to do with the offense. Give credit to the Chiefs defense and Special Teams.

The rules have changed to give the offensives a big advantage. The defensive aggression in the game is not rewarded and is often penalized giving the offense that big advantage. So you do need an offense that can take advantage of the rules. Yet, you still need a defense that can make a play or two that can turn around a game. . The NFL has put an emphasis on offense with rule changes. Therefore teams need to take advantage and more score points than in the past. It is still all three phases of the game and good coaching that wins in the NFL

Flint

Pro Bowler

Wow, that was really aggressive, so he’s lazy and a slacker. I get the feeling you’re not a fan.