Offense-2001 Rams vs 2018 Rams: who really is better overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yep. Ding ding, you are correct! Holt ran a 4.38 vs Cooks’ 4.33. It’s closer than I thought, though. They are both fast terrific WRs in their own time.

Thing about Holt was the he was so smooth in and out of his breaks.

Cooks is different in that he's very sudden in his change of direction and has that 3rd gear that Holt didn't have.

Holt was so smooth that he'd have a 1300 yard season and it didn't feel unbelievable whereas Randy Moss could have 1300 yards and people would lose their minds.

It's unfair to Holt because it feels in comparisons and HoF voting that it's used against him.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing about Holt was the he was so smooth in and out of his breaks.

Cooks is different in that he's very sudden in his change of direction and has that 3rd gear that Holt didn't have.

Holt was so smooth that he'd have a 1300 yard season and it didn't feel unbelievable whereas Randy Moss could have 1300 yards and people would lose their minds.

It's unfair to Holt because it feels in comparisons and HoF voting that it's used against him.
Exactly, he was as smooth as it gets. I sure miss his presence on the field. His speed was deceiving.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The GSOT offense did it for many years consistently. If our offense dominates each game like last night, then I'll entertain the idea that the offenses we're comparable. I know you're talking offenses, but our defense was far more elite for the GSOT days. We had great players at all levels (and they played excellent together).

They did it for 3 years. 2002 was a bad year. 2003 was a solid but not great offense.

I can promise you mcvay will last longer than martz who flamed out and did nothing much with 3 other organizations. In fact players on those teams complained about his unbalanced offenses. Players love mcvay. That is because mcvay is more humble and able to adjust. Martz was stubborn and when the league figured him out/guy’s got older or hurt, he was no longer effective.

His personnel moves were also questionable.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Holt is definitely better than cooks just as fast way better hands and a better route runner.

Gotta disagree with you here my friend. They are both great receivers, but in the end Cooks will be "better." And no, Holt was NOT just as fast as Cooks. And Cooks hands? You kiddin me friend? They are incredible.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That year's offense (2001) was amazing, but I feel like they were less potent running the ball (perhaps more accurately being able to dictate the run) than the offense in 1999. Too much "Max Q" as opposed to "Gotta Go To Work" basically.

This year's offense is balanced. Even in the playoffs it should be extremely difficult to stop for that reason. So it's impossible to say right now, but I suspect this year's offense is going to be as good as any previous, to include those glorious GSoT years.
+1
I was going to post something similar. I peeked at the team rushing yards for the '99-'01 teams because my memory says that Martz slowly but surely got away from the run as the years went on. The numbers do reflect that a bit, although i think if i dig deeper the numbers will reflect it even more.

Right now this offense is very difficult to stop because it's so balanced, as was the case last season. Faulk was a God in terms of versatility at RB, but i think this team is a bit more physical primarily because of #30, and that weighs heavily in my mind in terms of those GSOT teams that i felt were a bit soft in general.

Cooks is a little guy but he's a fairly physical runner. Kupp gets YAC not because of his speed but because he breaks tackles. Those fly guys like Bruce, Holt, Hakim were not. It was speed, route running and get down.

Fun discussion.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Why do we have to compare why can't we just enjoy both for their individual merits

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta disagree with you here my friend. They are both great receivers, but in the end Cooks will be "better." And no, Holt was NOT just as fast as Cooks. And Cooks hands? You kiddin me friend? They are incredible.
Cooks has good hands but he is more of a cradler Holt attacked the ball. Cooks “numbers” are gonna be better but that doesn’t make him the better receiver.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. Ding ding, you are correct! Holt ran a 4.38 vs Cooks’ 4.33. It’s closer than I thought, though. They are both fast terrific WRs in their own time.
The thing with Holt and what made him so crazy is the way he used his speed in and out of breaks or just running particularl routes he twisted up DbS so bad that he didn’t really have to use that speed. With cooks it’s slants screens and go routes. Not saying that’s all he does cause he runs a great dig route too.

jjab360

Legend
The thing with Holt and what made him so crazy is the way he used his speed in and out of breaks or just running particularl routes he twisted up DbS so bad that he didn’t really have to use that speed. With cooks it’s slants screens and go routes. Not saying that’s all he does cause he runs a great dig route too.
Xavier Rhodes' ankles would like to have a word with you about Cooks' route running ability..

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny how everyone is talking about how hard Warner and Bulger would get crushed, yet that 2001 team would run this one off the field. Games are won and lost in the trenches fellas. This team>2001. Jmho
100% agree. the 2018 O line is superior from LG to C to RG. Tucker is about the same as Hav, if not better, though Pace is much better than Whit.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
"Bruce got 1781 yards with Chris Miller and Mark Rypien throwing to him in what I consider the single greatest season by a WR in NFL history. And other than Warner and Bulger, for the first half of his career, he had at best journeymen QBs throwing to him while mostly in double coverage and STILL created separation."

You are right, Bruce was triple teamed (see 1995 vs Jets), and he was better than Rice's best season...it was ONLY Bruce on that 1995 team.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The GSOT offense did it for many years consistently. If our offense dominates each game like last night, then I'll entertain the idea that the offenses we're comparable. I know you're talking offenses, but our defense was far more elite for the GSOT days. We had great players at all levels (and they played excellent together).
They did it from 199-2001, that is 3 years. Significant drop off 2002-2004.
The O line is what keeps Goff producing....he is 'producing' at Kurt's level, but he won't be at Kurt's level until he can take the beating....also, Kurt had NO AUDIBLE's, and this hampered Martz's offense a lot....blitz's could not be picked up on many key 3rd downs.