Offense-2001 Rams vs 2018 Rams: who really is better overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Breakdown on 2001 vs 2018 Rams offense

A) Warner> Goff
Warner is better than 2018 Goff because Warner could succeed with awful O lines (see 2008-09 Cards). And, the Rams couldn't pass protect like the 2018 Rams. So, Goff has it pretty easy.....

B ) O line (LT-RT)
Pace>Whitworth
Nutten<Saffold
McCollum<Sullivan
Timmerman<Blythe/Brown
Tucker=Havenstein

The 2018 Rams line, now, is rated the #1 line the NFL. They have 4 guys with 78+ rating. 25 teams don’t even have more than 1 guy with 75+ rating. This gives Goff an extra ½ second that Warner never, ever had. 2 of the 3 interior Ram O lineman are C- at best, while the Rams interior functions at B+/A-.

C) PASSING EFFICIENCY: Warner passing + His O line<Goff passing + His O Line

The above sentence is a paraphrase of the paragraph below:

Summary of the “efficiencey” of QB position in 2018 vs 2001 Rams---incl O line play:

Warner is better than Goff as a QB (right now), because Warner knew how to succeed with a mediocre line—Goff doesn’t; however, Goff and his superior O line play make the 2018 Rams passing game as effective or better and more consistent because they can run and pass at a more consistent level, and right now, equal level (see stats); and so, the overall effect of the 2018 superior O line makes Goff and his ‘efficiency’, by the end of this year, better than what Warner accomplished. Can Goff do in the playoffs what Warner did? IDK, probably not yet.

Looking at stats, they are equal enough, but this 2018 team can control the game and go down the field, too. The two teams are equal in TDs and points, but 2018 rams have much fewer interceptions and sacks. Faulk could not run throughout a 4 quarter game and get yardage against good teams like Gurley has (see 1999 playoffs---45 yards rushing, or so, in 3 games)

Yes, I know there are 12 games to go. But, I have seen the progression from 2017 to now with Goff and he is not getting lucky; he is threading the needle as well as Warner ever did. He had a 6th TD go off the thumb of the Vikings safety n the 4th quarter. Goff is as intelligent as Kurt, but needs a few years to get to his level.

D) Breakdown of other Skill players:
Bruce>Woods
Holt=Cooks (Cooks is in line for 1,700 yds)
Hakim<Kupp (see TDs & clutch receptions; Hakim disappears in playoff man coverage)
2001 TE=2018TE

Faulk=Gurley (Gurely has the superior line, and better speed, w/o the moves and intelligence, though). Ok, so Faulk might be better, but in actual reality the results look almost the exact same---just accomplished a bit differently. Gurley is not tough like Faulk, I do have to say, but he is gritty like Faulk when he wants to score.

E) IT is the 2018 Rams
I watch all those old Ram games, and when the 2001 Rams play some tough teams like the Giants, they wilted sometimes---see superbowl vs Patriots. The 2001 O line is not as smart or tough as this one. I was always a bit unhappy with the lack of physicality in the Rams 2001 offense---2018 Rams Mach II have rectified that.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The game was different back then put those guys In the game now with these rules it’s over. Holt is definitely better than cooks just as fast way better hands and a better route runner. Not taking anything away from Cooks at all he’s a baller and one of the games best receivers.

This comparison is going to be around a lot because that Rams team changed the NFL.
I’m just happy that Goff and Co are adding to the Rams legacy

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Breakdown on 2001 vs 2018 Rams offense

A) Warner> Goff
Warner is better than 2018 Goff because Warner could succeed with awful O lines (see 2008-09 Cards). And, the Rams couldn't pass protect like the 2018 Rams. So, Goff has it pretty easy.....

B ) O line (LT-RT)
Pace>Whitworth
Nutten<Saffold
McCollum<Sullivan
Timmerman<Blythe/Brown
Tucker=Havenstein

The 2018 Rams line, now, is rated the #1 line the NFL. They have 4 guys with 78+ rating. 25 teams don’t even have more than 1 guy with 75+ rating. This gives Goff an extra ½ second that Warner never, ever had. 2 of the 3 interior Ram O lineman are C- at best, while the Rams interior functions at B+/A-.

C) PASSING EFFICIENCY: Warner passing + His O line<Goff passing + His O Line

The above sentence is a paraphrase of the paragraph below:

Summary of the “efficiencey” of QB position in 2018 vs 2001 Rams---incl O line play:

Warner is better than Goff as a QB (right now), because Warner knew how to succeed with a mediocre line—Goff doesn’t; however, Goff and his superior O line play make the 2018 Rams passing game as effective or better and more consistent because they can run and pass at a more consistent level, and right now, equal level (see stats); and so, the overall effect of the 2018 superior O line makes Goff and his ‘efficiency’, by the end of this year, better than what Warner accomplished. Can Goff do in the playoffs what Warner did? IDK, probably not yet.

Looking at stats, they are equal enough, but this 2018 team can control the game and go down the field, too. The two teams are equal in TDs and points, but 2018 rams have much fewer interceptions and sacks. Faulk could not run throughout a 4 quarter game and get yardage against good teams like Gurley has (see 1999 playoffs---45 yards rushing, or so, in 3 games)

Yes, I know there are 12 games to go. But, I have seen the progression from 2017 to now with Goff and he is not getting lucky; he is threading the needle as well as Warner ever did. He had a 6th TD go off the thumb of the Vikings safety n the 4th quarter. Goff is as intelligent as Kurt, but needs a few years to get to his level.

D) Breakdown of other Skill players:
Bruce>Woods
Holt=Cooks (Cooks is in line for 1,700 yds)
Hakim<Kupp (see TDs & clutch receptions; Hakim disappears in playoff man coverage)
2001 TE=2018TE

Faulk=Gurley (Gurely has the superior line, and better speed, w/o the moves and intelligence, though). Ok, so Faulk might be better, but in actual reality the results look almost the exact same---just accomplished a bit differently. Gurley is not tough like Faulk, I do have to say, but he is gritty like Faulk when he wants to score.

E) IT is the 2018 Rams
I watch all those old Ram games, and when the 2001 Rams play some tough teams like the Giants, they wilted sometimes---see superbowl vs Patriots. The 2001 O line is not as smart or tough as this one. I was always a bit unhappy with the lack of physicality in the Rams 2001 offense---2018 Rams Mach II have rectified that.

I think the 2001 GSOT team would run today’s team off the field.
Different time, more importantly different rules for the offense. Also, the GSOT played mostly on turf which amplified their speed.

IMHO if you could put the GSOT team out today, (with today’s rules) they might average close to 60 points per game and 500+ yards of offense.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I certainly would not want to see the GSOT offense against our "defense" last night.

100 points? Possibly.

The 2001 Rams offense is significantly better at every position than Minnesota is now. Scary thought.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man, kurt with faulk and those wrs, playing with these rules. the mercy rule would be applied by halftime.

i still think kurt is the best qb i've ever seen, when he's on. the defense could do nothing to stop him. he was probably the toughest i've seen as well. he took beatings like you wouldn't believe and still stood there to take more and hit the open receiver.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
New head coaches points scored through their 1st 20 games, Sean McVay just past Mike Martz as leader.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Funny how everyone is talking about how hard Warner and Bulger would get crushed, yet that 2001 team would run this one off the field. Games are won and lost in the trenches fellas. This team>2001. Jmho

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
that was a video game offense, but i will say, this offense seems to protect the ball and QB better

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
[SIZE=6 said:
Offense-2001 Rams vs 2018 Rams: who really is better overall

@SteveBrown, For better or worse, this 2018 Rams team after 4 games is on pace to contend and surpass the 1999 Rams.

As you well know, this 2018 Rams team will never be legitimately compared to 1999 team unless they win the Super Bowl.

It's a fun subject to discuss and it has been brought up before and after the post game victory vs the Vikings last night with Kurt Warner....

The 2018 Rams team after 4 games were the talk of the town in the offseason with tons of hype before the season ever started..

The 1999 team discreetly took the NFL by storm after the Trent Green season ending injury..

I personally think this 2018 roster has a tad bit more talent overall but without a SB trophy, they will end up an after thought..

tenor.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny how everyone is talking about how hard Warner and Bulger would get crushed, yet that 2001 team would run this one off the field. Games are won and lost in the trenches fellas. This team>2001. Jmho

the hits they took, man, 15 yard penalties now.

did you see what the refs allowed the cheats to do to kurt in superbowl 36? man, they let them slaughter him. but he kept coming back at them. he was a prevent d away from one of the greatest comebacks in nfl history. qbs nowdays would cower if they got hit like that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That year's offense (2001) was amazing, but I feel like they were less potent running the ball (perhaps more accurately being able to dictate the run) than the offense in 1999. Too much "Max Q" as opposed to "Gotta Go To Work" basically.

This year's offense is balanced. Even in the playoffs it should be extremely difficult to stop for that reason. So it's impossible to say right now, but I suspect this year's offense is going to be as good as any previous, to include those glorious GSoT years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The game was different back then put those guys In the game now with these rules it’s over. Holt is definitely better than cooks just as fast way better hands and a better route runner. Not taking anything away from Cooks at all he’s a baller and one of the games best receivers.

This comparison is going to be around a lot because that Rams team changed the NFL.
I’m just happy that Goff and Co are adding to the Rams legacy

No way Holt is faster than Cooks.

It's all academic because different rules and whatnot, but still.

I dunno that anyone runs better routes than Bruce. Period. The ONLY reason imho that Rice is considered the GOAT is because he always had HoF QBs throwing to him along with Walsh/Seifert as HCs as well as offensive minds like Mike Holmgren at OC.

Bruce got 1781 yards with Chris Miller and Mark Rypien throwing to him in what I consider the single greatest season by a WR in NFL history. And other than Warner and Bulger, for the first half of his career, he had at best journeymen QBs throwing to him while mostly in double coverage and STILL created separation.

And, honestly, I dunno if Kupp isn't the best route runner on this team, as good as Woods is. And Brandin Cooks is a fantastic route runner in his own regard.

Part of me doesn't like comparing these teams because they are both special in my mind for different reasons.

They have lots in common, especially rising quickly from mediocrity/poor play to excellence and taking the league by storm on offense.

But in my personal opinion, I dunno that it's fair to anyone to compare each team on a person by person basis.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
the hits they took, man, 15 yard penalties now.

did you see what the refs allowed the cheats to do to kurt in superbowl 36? man, they let them slaughter him. but he kept coming back at them. he was a prevent d away from one of the greatest comebacks in nfl history. qbs nowdays would cower if they got hit like that.

I completely agree with that point!!! My point is look at the difference in protection bro. Those 15 yard penalties can just as easily become sacks with a roll or form tackle. I'm just saying there is a difference in line play on both sides of the ball. Major factor

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
2001 Rams are superior overall. I prefer McVay's playcalling over Martz's though; McVay at least protects the ball and adjusts his offense to what opposing defenses are throwing at him.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
2001 Rams are superior overall. I prefer McVay's playcalling over Martz's though; McVay at least protects the ball and adjusts his offense to what opposing defenses are throwing at him.

McVay looks like his success can be sustained.

Martz was like setting one's house on fire during a blizzard. It gets crazy hot, but using the house as fuel isn't a long term solution in the dead of winter...

And after Martz, that's exactly where we were...

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The GSOT offense did it for many years consistently. If our offense dominates each game like last night, then I'll entertain the idea that the offenses we're comparable. I know you're talking offenses, but our defense was far more elite for the GSOT days. We had great players at all levels (and they played excellent together).

nanotech

Rookie
I think the biggest advantage 2018 has over 2001 is the triumvirate of head coach, general manager and contract guy. While it is nice to be meteoric, I personally much prefer continuous burn.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The GSOT offense did it for many years consistently. If our offense dominates each game like last night, then I'll entertain the idea that the offenses we're comparable. I know you're talking offenses, but our defense was far more elite for the GSOT days. We had great players at all levels (and they played excellent together).

The difference is that the GSOT teams when going against a great D would eek out wins and their D would rise up.

We just outscore them in a shoot out now.

Oh, and this D is only barely rounding into form.

And we KNOW from the report that the Rams put in a 1st and 3rd for Mack that they're going all in on this season.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we made a trade for an OLB who can rush the passer.

Well, that presumes that Obo doesn't come back and start lighting things up.

When is Obo due back?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way Holt is faster than Cooks.

It's all academic because different rules and whatnot, but still.

I dunno that anyone runs better routes than Bruce. Period. The ONLY reason imho that Rice is considered the GOAT is because he always had HoF QBs throwing to him along with Walsh/Seifert as HCs as well as offensive minds like Mike Holmgren at OC.

Bruce got 1781 yards with Chris Miller and Mark Rypien throwing to him in what I consider the single greatest season by a WR in NFL history. And other than Warner and Bulger, for the first half of his career, he had at best journeymen QBs throwing to him while mostly in double coverage and STILL created separation.

And, honestly, I dunno if Kupp isn't the best route runner on this team, as good as Woods is. And Brandin Cooks is a fantastic route runner in his own regard.

Part of me doesn't like comparing these teams because they are both special in my mind for different reasons.

They have lots in common, especially rising quickly from mediocrity/poor play to excellence and taking the league by storm on offense.

But in my personal opinion, I dunno that it's fair to anyone to compare each team on a person by person basis.
I would put Bruce above Rice all day everyday