Off the top of your head...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How many instances can you think of since Bradford has been QB, that a receiver or RB took a quick hitter or screen and booked it to the house? I was thinking about how some of these other QBs have a guy (or guys) who can take a swing pass or dump off and run 60-70 yards with it for a score, and wondered...

Hey, wtf? Does that EVER happen here?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Givens had a nice 50+ yarder (against GB?)

Besides that no. Danny has had a few nice ones here and there in the past years. I can't remember anyone taking one to the house though. Dannys prob weren't even over 50 like Givens was.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
Givens had a nice 50+ yarder (against GB?)

Besides that no. Danny has had a few nice ones here and there in the past years. I can't remember anyone taking one to the house though. Dannys prob weren't even over 50 like Givens was.
Yeah, that's not what I mean though. I mean taking a short pass or hand-off and scoring from at least 50 yards out. Anything. Screen, dump-off, bubble-screen, quick slant, shovel pass. Anything that would serve to pad the QBs stats even though he didn't really DO anything.

Seems like Bradford has to actually put the ball in the endzone (or very close to it) in order for him to get a score. He gets no "garbage" touchdowns on his resume from what I can recall. The only thing I can think of or remember would be Hoomanawanui taking a quick hitter in for a score from about 30 yards out against Denver(?) in 2010.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
In time IMO Pead or DR will give him one of those.
IMO if we came out in an I with SJ at fullback on a quick hitter early then faked it to SJ on a play later where DR flared out we could catch enough people crashing down to get that done.
Generally though when those plays work that way someone bit on something and cleared things out.

It'd be great if we had some "we didn't block anyone " Marshal Faulk plays ,but so far we don't have that guy, David Wilson looked sorta that way for the G men the other day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
I think Givens pass in the GB game was a screen
This one? Yeah, that was nice. If he had scored, then that would be exactly what I'm talking about. Just a matter of time, I guess. I just sometimes wish Bradford had the luxury of pad-statters like other QBs seem to get from time to time.

[nfl]0ap1000000083624[/nfl]

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
Refs would probably throw a flag, seems like we get that alot on big game changing plays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sgt. Ram said:
Refs would probably throw a flag, seems like we get that alot on big game changing plays.
Yeah, there's that too. :pissed:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
How many instances can you think of since Bradford has been QB, that a receiver or RB took a quick hitter or screen and booked it to the house? I was thinking about how some of these other QBs have a guy (or guys) who can take a swing pass or dump off and run 60-70 yards with it for a score, and wondered...

+1 on that question. I have thought about that several times. The fact we havent had a play like that in so long, especially with all the stacked boxes we see, really highlights the lack of playmaking ability our outside WRs have. Givens is becoming a guy that potentially make a big play like that.

Everyone wants to compare Bradford to RG3. Look at RG3s first ever pass. It was a slant that Garcon caught about 8 yards downfield and he took it to paydirt. Playmakers at WR make QBs look good.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Givens WILL be that guy, and he really showed me something in the return game. He is learning to use patience, see the hole, and then hit it hard. I agree with Richardson and will add Pead. We really don't have any other playmakers other than Danny. I'm surprised that he hasn't taken one in.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
libertadrocks said:
X said:

+1 on that question. I have thought about that several times. The fact we havent had a play like that in so long, especially with all the stacked boxes we see, really highlights the lack of playmaking ability our outside WRs have. Givens is becoming a guy that potentially make a big play like that.

Everyone wants to compare Bradford to RG3. Look at RG3s first ever pass. It was a slant that Garcon caught about 8 yards downfield and he took it to paydirt. Playmakers at WR make QBs look good.

Funny, because Lucks "first career pass TD" was the same lol.

I still think RG3 and Luck have very very very very very bright futures if they stay healthy though.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The only screen I can remember scoring was Bradford to Darby his rookie year. I think in the Seattle game.. It was about 20 yards, but it came after Jackson had a big screen that took us to the 20.

Only ones off the top of my head though.

Also I read somewhere that some absurdly high number for RG3's passes are actually behind the line of scrimmage, and his receivers make them into plays. I know his first 7 or 8 passes were screens to the left and right that his receivers kept taking 10 yards.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Givens WILL be that guy, and he really showed me something in the return game. He is learning to use patience, see the hole, and then hit it hard. I agree with Richardson and will add Pead. We really don't have any other playmakers other than Danny. I'm surprised that he hasn't taken one in.

Danny is a playmaker because of his quickness. He really doesnt have that break away speed where he can run past all the DBs. Just like Welker in that both are great receivers but neither typically turns short catches into long TDs.

Like you said Givens is close. When he polishes his short and intermediate routes, he will be dangerous. Would love to see Holt work with him in the offseason.

Pead has the ability to be a big hitter but he scares the shit outta me. He hasnt proven he can hold onto the ball.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I see what your saying.
Avery did one I think and SJax had one around 08. Givens was a good run.
Yeah, playmakers make a difference. Just a few plays like that a season can making the playoffs or sitting on the couch. Many of these jail break plays are due to great freelance blocking by the rest off the team, the rest is foot speed.

Pead was supposed to be the one that makes those plays. Still want to see if he has it in him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Username said:
libertadrocks said:
X said:

Funny, because Lucks "first career pass TD" was the same lol.

I still think RG3 and Luck have very very very very very bright futures if they stay healthy though.

That was the first thought that came to mind when I read Pauls OP. Argh!! We really have not had many of those plays the last few years. I think we all see that potential in Givens though. Just look at the concentration on that catch in the vid posted. That ball was tipped and it completely altered the timing of that play. Way to adjust and have the presence of mind to look the ball in and giddy up!! Speaking of tipped/batted balls, I have noticed a STEEP decline in those this year. I swear last year it seemed like 30% of Sams passes were batted at the line.....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Screens and quick hits (particularly those that involve a moving WR up-field) are void in this offense.

We do some quick throws, don't misunderstand, but most of them are designed for short gains... Not choreographed big yardage plays.

Schott has mixed in a few screens the last two weeks, but barely. Just a shot or two. And... They haven't been "we'll designed or executed".

With our depth at WR; this feels like something we should be better at.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yeah, I think you gotta go back to the Az Hakim days to see those sort of plays. But yes, I'd agree that Givens can be this teams "guy".

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I realize this doesn't really answer the question but I think this team is being built with a playoff type attitude. I'm sure everyone including Fisher would love some of those game breakers. It just seems that come playoffs, and especially the Superbowl, those types of plays are an anomoly. Yeah - one might win the game but the teams that rely on them seem to always get shut down by uber intensive defenses in the big games. You need a team that can grit it out and yeah, get that easy TD from time to time.

But as a fan, I'd love to see some of those easy TDs. Almost forget what one looks like. Oh wait... Those are the things followed long after by yellow hankies. :amped:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
I realize this doesn't really answer the question but I think this team is being built with a playoff type attitude. I'm sure everyone including Fisher would love some of those game breakers. It just seems that come playoffs, and especially the Superbowl, those types of plays are an anomoly. Yeah - one might win the game but the teams that rely on them seem to always get shut down by uber intensive defenses in the big games. You need a team that can grit it out and yeah, get that easy TD from time to time.

But as a fan, I'd love to see some of those easy TDs. Almost forget what one looks like. Oh wait... Those are the things followed long after by yellow hankies. :amped:

To your point;

How many teams have we seen over the years where "if you stop *this* you win"?

But... This isn't a pistol offense or scrambling Vick. This is a tool in the toolbox we are not using.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

To your point;

How many teams have we seen over the years where "if you stop *this* you win"?

But... This isn't a pistol offense or scrambling Vick. This is a tool in the toolbox we are not using.

Actually, we've seen it many times including the GSOT and we had three players that could and did take it to the house during the season. And then there was the patsies v Giants.