Odd Men Out: WR Edition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Judge Doom

Margot Robbie's Future Love Slave
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp only one I have true faith in as far as making a big catch if we need one. Skowronek needs to improve a lot imo, hopefully he will. Rest of the WR core about the same.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Skow straight up Flashed several times last season before his injury. That's a good sign for a young WR. He does seem to have an issue with staying healthy tho. He always seems to get banged up. But if the dude can stay healthy I do see him having a solid season. I'd even say better then Jeffersons.
He made some positive plays when he was slotted as a Fullback, but once the enemy figured out that all he was going to do is run routes they pretty much shut him down.
He's too small to be a TE and too slow (with questionable hands) to play WR so he's a classic tweener.
Just don't see much upside going forward.
McCutchen, OTOH, definitely flashed Wide Out skills last pre season....and showed a lot of potential.

~ArkyRamsFan~

dang

Legend
He made some positive plays when he was slotted as a Fullback, but once the enemy figured out that all he was going to do is run routes they pretty much shut him down.
He's too small to be a TE and too slow (with questionable hands) to play WR so he's a classic tweener.
McCutchen, OTOH, definitely flashed Wide Out skills last pre season....and showed a lot of potential.

~ArkyRamsFan~
We talking bout Pre Season?!!!?? Pre Season???? We talking bout Pre Season!!!

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

~ArkyRamsFan~

Agree Sko is a tad slow but so is McCutcheon.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think Skowronek is a lock given how McVay likes to use him as a fullback at times. He's kind of that piece that McVay can deploy when he wants to which makes the defense have to prepare for a different look they may or may not see on a weekly basis. A combo of Skowronek, Cupp, and Atwell could be quite effective.

Don’t be shocked to see the Rams keep 7 and basically designate Skow to that backfield receiver option. Kind of like that alphabet soup character in San Fran

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at the list, all I can say is man, after Kupp.... our receiving unit is thin.

Considering just a few years ago we had Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, and Kupp all in their prime (and Todd Freakin' Gurley catching passes too), this year's group is almost discouraging. Almost.

Hopefully with an improved OL giving Stafford more time, one of this year's crop will stand out and take it to the next level.

I guess I'll have to tune in and find out. :)

dang

Legend
Looking at the list, all I can say is man, after Kupp.... our receiving unit is thin.

Considering just a few years ago we had Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, and Kupp all in their prime (and Todd Freakin' Gurley catching passes too), this year's group is almost discouraging. Almost.

Hopefully with an improved OL giving Stafford more time, one of this year's crop will stand out and take it to the next level.

I guess I'll have to tune in and find out. :)
I’m hoping Nacua balls out and becomes a very good WR3 by 2024. If Jefferson improves tremendously he could be a legit WR2 but I don’t see that so I’m thinking drafting M Harrison JR (or next best WR) next year would be the ticket. Atwell is the situational deep threat and Skow becomes a FB/TE. Then Maybe T Johnson rounds it out as a strong handed red zone target.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan of the over talent behind Kupp this year. I have to wonder if the Rams look at camp cut to improve this group. (IMO before someone tells me their correct opinion above everyone else‘s opinion.)

TexasRam

Legend
I don't like Jefferson as a 2nd option. I feel he lacks instincts, ability to fight for the ball and ability after the catch to break tackles or get those + yards. He is fine as a solid route runner that can pull down a few catches a game vs a 3rd or 4th CB but he is no play-maker at all.

I feel Sko is about the same. And who knows with Tutu.

We basically have a #1, a few #3 WRs and some other dudes.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So excited to see Van and tutu this season. Van should have a big season.

Hoping Mcvay uses tutu on a variety of routes this year so he can showcase what he can do.

Ram65

Legend
Tough crowd,

Benny Skow is a McVay type of football player. Not many have been asked to do what he has done in their first two years in the league. Very versatile punishing WR and blocker that can be moved around keeping defenses guessing.

Give Atwell a chance on the field. He isn't perfect but a very good deep threat. McVay has to take advantage of that with some shorter and mid-range routes. He will get a lot of cushion from DB. He needs to be in the rotation. I wouldn't give him a lot of run plays just enough to keep defenses honest.

Puka Nacua appears to be a good option to run as a WR. He also seems football smart to make an impact as a rookie.

A healthy Jefferson will be solid to complement Kupp.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am hoping they keep Tutu off punt returns and I expect Atwell to have a fine season both as a deep threat and his ability to run all the routes. He looked solid with Mayfield at QB so I am expecting that to transcend into this season.

Confident in Van Jefferson this year too, so a couple of others need to showcase their talent and that could be DeMarcus Robinson.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
There are several positions with intriguing depth charts and, among them, wide receiver may be the most interesting. I presume that the team will carry 6 players on the roster, so there will definitely be some odd men out. Here's a breakdown of the candidates:

Written in Stone: Cooper Kupp
No comment necessary here for the 2021 NFL Offensive Player of the Year.

Written in Ink: Van Jefferson, Ben Skowronek
The team is definitely looking to Jefferson to emerge as the second option, and Skowronek is a safety blanket for McVay. I'd be surprised if either of them is not on the opening day roster.

Written in Pencil: Tutu Atwell, Tyler Johnson, Puka Nacua, Demarcus Robinson
These guys have the inside track, but, as the pencil metaphor implies, at least one of these names will likely be erased. Who will it be?

The Longshots: Lance McCutchen, Austin Trammell, Xavier Smith, Tyler Hudson, Braxton Burmeister
Absent severe erosion by injury or the carving out of a special teams niche, these are guys who are most likely fighting for Practice Squad spots.

So... who do you see emerging?
I'd go....

Written in stone: Cooper Kupp, Jefferson, Skowronek (the last two barring a trade during or at the end of camp)
Written in ink: Atwell, Robinson
Written in pencil: Johnson, Nacua

PS: McCutcheon, Trammel
Attempting to take a PS spot from McC/Trammel: Smith, Hudson, Burmeister

I'd expect they keep 6 or 7. If 6, then Johnson gone or Nacua on the PS. If 7, prolly those first 3 catagories.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Tyler Hudson is the only one with successful return ability. I think a lot were assuming Xavier Smith would get a shot as he did some returning in college but wasn't anything to write home about. No one else has been used as a returner full time and had limited to no success at it when they did it. I'm hoping someone steps up because I don't want to see Kupp back there ever again.
Austin Trammel has returned punts in college too. Hudson had 15 punt returns in college with a 7.9 average and one TD. Xavier Smith had 14 punt returns with a 5.6 yard average and no TD's. Austin Trammell had 35 punt returns for an average of 7.1 yards with no TD's for Rice.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It will be interesting to see if McCutcheon can challenge Johnson for #7 with Trammel as the longshot to leapfrog both, which I don't see happening. McC didn't look great in his reg season snaps, but maybe that experience and another TC will help him digest the nuances and let the game come to him.