Odd Men Out: WR Edition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
There are several positions with intriguing depth charts and, among them, wide receiver may be the most interesting. I presume that the team will carry 6 players on the roster, so there will definitely be some odd men out. Here's a breakdown of the candidates:

Written in Stone: Cooper Kupp
No comment necessary here for the 2021 NFL Offensive Player of the Year.

Written in Ink: Van Jefferson, Ben Skowronek
The team is definitely looking to Jefferson to emerge as the second option, and Skowronek is a safety blanket for McVay. I'd be surprised if either of them is not on the opening day roster.

Written in Pencil: Tutu Atwell, Tyler Johnson, Puka Nacua, Demarcus Robinson
These guys have the inside track, but, as the pencil metaphor implies, at least one of these names will likely be erased. Who will it be?

The Longshots: Lance McCutchen, Austin Trammell, Xavier Smith, Tyler Hudson, Braxton Burmeister
Absent severe erosion by injury or the carving out of a special teams niche, these are guys who are most likely fighting for Practice Squad spots.

So... who do you see emerging?

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Puka stays healthy through camp there's really only one spot. Robinson's return ability probably gets him it.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm not sold on Skowronek at all. I find myself really hoping that Lance McCutchen balls out and takes his spot as I believe he has more upside.
Also, agree with the rest of your list and think that Nacua is a diamond in the rough.
Just needs some polish!

~ArkyRamsFan~

Psycho_X

Legend
I have not! Wait, is Johnson the guy who's a returner? I just heard one of them was a returner and made my estimation on that alone as we have a hole there and the UDFA are unproven.
I think Tyler Hudson is the only one with successful return ability. I think a lot were assuming Xavier Smith would get a shot as he did some returning in college but wasn't anything to write home about. No one else has been used as a returner full time and had limited to no success at it when they did it. I'm hoping someone steps up because I don't want to see Kupp back there ever again.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I think Tyler Hudson is the only one with successful return ability. I think a lot were assuming Xavier Smith would get a shot as he did some returning in college but wasn't anything to write home about. No one else has been used as a returner full time and had limited to no success at it when they did it. I'm hoping someone steps up because I don't want to see Kupp back there ever again.
Can any of the backup RBs return kicks? I have no clue...anybody?

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I think Skowronek is a lock given how McVay likes to use him as a fullback at times. He's kind of that piece that McVay can deploy when he wants to which makes the defense have to prepare for a different look they may or may not see on a weekly basis. A combo of Skowronek, Cupp, and Atwell could be quite effective.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have not! Wait, is Johnson the guy who's a returner? I just heard one of them was a returner and made my estimation on that alone as we have a hole there and the UDFA are unproven.
Robinson have very limited experience returning punts. In the NFL he has returned a total of 5 punts for -14 yards, yes that is negative. And in college, he returned 3 total punts for 2 yards for an average of 0.7 yards.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kyren Williams returned punts (14, 10.8 avg.) in his final year at Notre Dame, FWIW.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it is crucial that Jefferson emerge this year. If he doesn't then we're in a position where we need Atwell to emerge and he might just be a gadget type who runs nines and end arounds and screens etc. Which means it's easy mode for defenses to just worry about Kupp.

Of course that is where the run game can greatly help out, if it sees an uptick in potency. But Jefferson really needs to stay healthy, both him and Kupp, and he needs to produce 1k+ to ensure this offense has enough threats. If and when that happens now the other pieces are good threats down the list and on occasion, vice being moved up in importance to carry the offense. Guys like Skow who are excellent in a utility role and catching a few passes a game as a surprise element instead of being shut down when they try to use him to carry production.

I really do think Jefferson has a big year. He looks very smooth (always has of course) and fast out there in what I've seen so far this year, and he's had enough time in this offense and now has the focus of them putting him in that role, so just stay healthy and produce. We need him badly IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: the bottom of the WR roster I think preseason games will dictate. And we will hopefully have a strong preseason from our rookie backup QB to drive good evaluation of these guys.

I honestly don't have any feeling really on who makes the cut in those bottom roles but I do like the size and physicality of McCutcheon. But he has a ton of competition this year. Gonna be tough for him to make this roster and he's going to need to show out again in these preseason games.

This also means preseason is poised to be more entertaining than usual for us. I'm really excited to see Bennett do his thing, cannot wait.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So, you're saying he is well-rested.
I am trying to communicate that presently the Rams have two options as Punt Return guys in Austin Trammel & Xavier Smith and you have to factor them in when considering the receivers that are going to make the team.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Don't they usually carry 6 receivers on the game day roster? If one of the written in pencil guys doesn't make the game day roster I wonder if they will keep them all and have one inactive on game days?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't they usually carry 6 receivers on the game day roster? If one of the written in pencil guys doesn't make the game day roster I wonder if they will keep them all and have one inactive on game days?
Certainly possible. That’s how they began the year in 2022 (just looked it up). That would, as you suggested, potentially keep all of the stone, ink and pencil guys on the 53 man roster.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think it is crucial that Jefferson emerge this year. If he doesn't then we're in a position where we need Atwell to emerge and he might just be a gadget type who runs nines and end arounds and screens etc. Which means it's easy mode for defenses to just worry about Kupp.

Of course that is where the run game can greatly help out, if it sees an uptick in potency. But Jefferson really needs to stay healthy, both him and Kupp, and he needs to produce 1k+ to ensure this offense has enough threats. If and when that happens now the other pieces are good threats down the list and on occasion, vice being moved up in importance to carry the offense. Guys like Skow who are excellent in a utility role and catching a few passes a game as a surprise element instead of being shut down when they try to use him to carry production.

I really do think Jefferson has a big year. He looks very smooth (always has of course) and fast out there in what I've seen so far this year, and he's had enough time in this offense and now has the focus of them putting him in that role, so just stay healthy and produce. We need him badly IMO.
I think Jefferson is what he is but if he just stays healthy it's nothing to sneeze at!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There are several positions with intriguing depth charts and, among them, wide receiver may be the most interesting. I presume that the team will carry 6 players on the roster, so there will definitely be some odd men out. Here's a breakdown of the candidates:

Written in Stone: Cooper Kupp
No comment necessary here for the 2021 NFL Offensive Player of the Year.

Written in Ink: Van Jefferson, Ben Skowronek
The team is definitely looking to Jefferson to emerge as the second option, and Skowronek is a safety blanket for McVay. I'd be surprised if either of them is not on the opening day roster.

Written in Pencil: Tutu Atwell, Tyler Johnson, Puka Nacua, Demarcus Robinson
These guys have the inside track, but, as the pencil metaphor implies, at least one of these names will likely be erased. Who will it be?

The Longshots: Lance McCutchen, Austin Trammell, Xavier Smith, Tyler Hudson, Braxton Burmeister
Absent severe erosion by injury or the carving out of a special teams niche, these are guys who are most likely fighting for Practice Squad spots.

So... who do you see emerging?

DUDE hope you used a nice- erase able pen. That ink needs to be Tutu Atwell instead of Ben Sko.
Rumor is he will be the PR guy.He did it his rookie season when he got hurt,but The Rams aren’t going to be afraid to use him

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think McCutcheon has a hard time making this roster. Skow brings more physicality and versatility IMO. Not sure why he doesn't get more credit on here. It's like all anyone remembers is his drop of an over the shoulder laser that would have been a great catch had he made it.

Of course there's also the drop/INT in SB56. That one is a bit harder to swallow, but he was a damn rookie.... and we won the SB anyway!

My crazy prediction is.... Tutu gets 40+ catches this season. :)

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm not sold on Skowronek at all. I find myself really hoping that Lance McCutchen balls out and takes his spot as I believe he has more upside.
Also, agree with the rest of your list and think that Nacua is a diamond in the rough.
Just needs some polish!

~ArkyRamsFan~

Skow straight up Flashed several times last season before his injury. That's a good sign for a young WR. He does seem to have an issue with staying healthy tho. He always seems to get banged up. But if the dude can stay healthy I do see him having a solid season. I'd even say better then Jeffersons.