Obo Okoronkwo progressing: won't be handed a roster spot:

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
There is the short term (this year) and long term (the next 3-4 years) to consider for our LBs. I wanted the Rams to but don't think they will be adding anyone substantial to the LB corp this year (trade or FA pick up).

I like Littleton, Ebukam, Kiser, Oko, Fox, Lawler (maybe), Young (maybe less) as part of the long term plan.

I am pulling for Barron but at his salary he is in a make it or break it year. Wilson is a one year rental.

I appreciate what Longacre and Hager have done over the years. In addition they are affordable but I think their days of occupying a roster space are numbered. I also see the Rams pursuing a sure thing veteran EDGE/OLB in the off season and a high draft pick on an ILB or OLB resulting in:

OLB: Vet Edge/Lawler ILB: Littleton/Kiser ILB: Ebukam/Draft Pick OLB: Oko/Fox

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well Longacre is a FA after this year. I was hoping he would have a nice year so maybe the Rams would get a decent comp pick after he walks.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, Obo won't be put on the practice squad. But they don't have to activate him either. It's likely he still has twinges of pain, which they could use to justify never activating him once he starts practicing, if he doesn't look like he'll be a positive contributor. That is the threat of saying he won't be handed a roster spot - he could end up on season ending IR if he never plays like he's fully healthy. So we'll see.

Will they use him on special teams?

Ram65

Legend
The Rams do have choices to bring back from injured reserve. They can only pick two

Assume Talib gets one.

Pharoh Cooper
Michael Thomas
Obo

Who would have the biggest impact? I want a better edge defender that can get pressure and sacks but, Obo may not be ready to make an impact. If Cooper is healthy he would be my guess. Stay turned

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The Rams do have choices to bring back from injured reserve. They can only pick two

Assume Talib gets one.

Pharoh Cooper
Michael Thomas
Obo

Who would have the biggest impact? I want a better edge defender that can get pressure and sacks but, Obo may not be ready to make an impact. If Cooper is healthy he would be my guess. Stay turned
Obo not IR

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
You don’t cut a promising rookie like Kiser, over a guy like Hager, who barely plays, and is in the last year of his contract. That’s bad business. You keep the rookie with higher potential and a longer deal left. Hager is fine, but this is his last year here.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
You don’t cut a promising rookie like Kiser, over a guy like Hager, who barely plays, and is in the last year of his contract. That’s bad business. You keep the rookie with higher potential and a longer deal left. Hager is fine, but this is his last year here.

Kiser was one of my favorite Draft picks by the Rams! I would hate to see him released by the Rams this early in his career!

Ram65

Legend
Obo not IR

Thanks brain cramp.

In that case start him!

“He’s gotta earn it. We have a lot of confidence in what he put on tape – it’s the reason why we wanted to be able to get him here.

But haven’t seen him play a lot of football – really, any football for that matter. Looking forward to just seeing him compete, see how he fits in and if it’s something that we feel like helps our team,” he said.

Get him practicing. If he shows something go from there. Seems a bit of a long shot but, the Rams have nothing to lose by getting him on the practice field. They do need some help off the edge.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think the rams have six weeks of practice to decide whether to activate him, cut him or place him on ir. is that correct?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

i think the rams have six weeks of practice to decide whether to activate him, cut him or place him on ir. is that correct?

That would certainly be ideal because it would give the Rams time to figure out if they need to trade for somebody before the deadline.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They have to decide by week 9 what to do with him. Either he goes on the active roster by then or the IR.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

Assume Talib gets one.

Pharoh Cooper
Michael Thomas
Obo

If Longacre is going to be out any length of time, added to not having Dominique, it may put more impetus into Okoronkwo being added to the linebacking crew.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am pulling for Barron but at his salary he is in a make it or break it year. Wilson is a one year rental.

Barron is that guy for me on defense, the one that I just don't understand the staff's fascination with him. He is mediocre at best, a liability in terms of run fit discipline, and tbh not all that great in coverage in spite of his wheels. Oh and I also don't trust him to stay healthy. Him being paid so well is just a complication on top of the other stuff.

Wilson started off really nice but has tailed off. Honestly the Rams interior LB position has one "good" ILB and that's Littleton, who has worked himself into a very solid player overall. But they need someone else to step up at that other spot. Will it be Barron? Man I hope so but remain skeptical.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Longacre is going to be out any length of time, added to not having Dominique, it may put more impetus into Okoronkwo being added to the linebacking crew.

As soon as Obo is ready he'll be added. They'll make room for him, whether it's by cutting someone or putting someone on IR. Longacre had back spasms, which is scary given his history, but I don't know that they'll IR him for that. I'm thinking someone on the bottom of the depth chart gets cut.

Talent is talent. Those guys on the depth chart are not going to be as valuable as Obo is. And the fact that Obo might be able to help us at OLB cements that. Not to mention he's a good all-around player in space and could probably play ILB for us too. Although once again I would give Ebukam a look inside if I were the LB coach.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Joe Barry is a highly regarded assistant coach, that’s for sure. So it seems safe to say that the LB issues aren’t coaching related.

So, it’s very troubling to see our LB corps struggling 6 full weeks into the season. It indicates that we have a personnel problem to me.

If THAT’S true, then the solutions are few. Hope and pray that Obo could be our savior, or that Snead can pull a rabbit out of the hat with a player from outside. Couple of long shots, huh? Looking like Wade might have guessed wrong on this one. Sigh...

Wade will probably be forced to scheme around the deficiencies (plural) all season long and into the playoffs for as long as he can.

Not hard to predict our top offseason priority, is it?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not hard to predict our top offseason priority, is it?

No doubt.

For now IF Obo comes back healthy and is activated, I'd move Ebukam inside at SILB and slide Littleton over to WILB. Let Littleton make the calls and all still of course, just use Ebu to stuff the run which I think he'd be good at.

Then pray that Obo can at least add a rush to our obvious passing downs.

RAMNATION

Rookie
No doubt.

For now IF Obo comes back healthy and is activated, I'd move Ebukam inside at SILB and slide Littleton over to WILB. Let Littleton make the calls and all still of course, just use Ebu to stuff the run which I think he'd be good at.

Then pray that Obo can at least add a rush to our obvious passing downs.
what about Barron?