Obo Okoronkwo progressing: won't be handed a roster spot:

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Sorry if this was already posted?

By: Cameron DaSilva

Obo Okoronkwo progressing, but won't be handed a roster spot: 'He's gotta earn it'

It’s no secret that the Los Angeles Rams have struggled to generate pressure from the outside linebacker position.

They’ve tried multiple players on the edges alongside Samson Ebukam, from Dominique Easley to Matt Longacre to John Franklin-Myers.

No one – not even Ebukam – has had sustained success rushing the passer, leading to some real problems on the defensive front. Fortunately, the Rams could get a big boost next week with Ogbonnia Okoronkwo eligible to come off the PUP list.

He’s recovering from a broken foot suffered this spring, which caused him to miss all of training camp and preseason action.

As a result, the Rams have seen very little of him, which could prevent them from activating the rookie when first eligible. Sean McVay commented on Okoronkwo’s status Thursday, saying he’s trending in the right direction.

“He’s a guy that we’re monitoring. He’s making good progress. We’re coming up on that date. I don’t know exactly what that is. My brain is mush right now,” McVay said.

“But it’s coming up to where you can decide whether you want to activate him and put him on the roster, obviously that affects some different things that we’d have to do. But as far as we know, he’s on track to be able to potentially get back and get working with us.”

Good news, right? Okoronkwo looked like a steal as a fifth-round pick, fitting nicely in Wade Phillips’ scheme at outside linebacker.

Unfortunately, the foot injury was a huge setback and there’s no guarantee he’ll even contribute as a rookie.

Once these six weeks are up, the Rams have another six weeks to let him begin practicing.

Once that occurs, they have three more weeks to decide whether to activate him and put him on the 53-man roster or keep him on IR for the rest of the season.

That may seem like an easy decision based on the Rams’ struggles outside, but McVay isn’t going to hand him a roster spot.

“He’s gotta earn it. We have a lot of confidence in what he put on tape – it’s the reason why we wanted to be able to get him here.

But haven’t seen him play a lot of football – really, any football for that matter. Looking forward to just seeing him compete, see how he fits in and if it’s something that we feel like helps our team,” he said.

“But yeah, anyone you invest a pick in and that’s on our football team, we want to try to develop them to the best of our ability and see them flourish and he’s no different than anybody else.”

It seems almost certain Okoronkwo will begin practicing at some point, it’s just a matter of whether the Rams activate him in that three-week window, or if they feel good about the players currently on the roster.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...es-rams-roster-ogbonnia-okoronkwo-sean-mcvay/

usatsi_10324815.jpg

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would a 5th round draft pick coming off an injury be handed anything? Why is this news?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Why would a 5th round draft pick coming off an injury be handed anything? Why is this news?

Probably because he's one of the only outside linebackers we haven't tried yet. I still have faith in Ebukam and JFM, but I have to admit that we haven't been getting the needed sacks/TFLs that we should be getting. OO45 is a talented linebacker when it comes to getting pressure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect him to be way behind in the scheme. But given the fact he's a good all-around backer, I'd expect them to activate him and stick him on the depth chart. His build is very good for the edge with long arms and decent quicks, but I am sure he's also better off the ball than one or two guys we have on the roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Probably because he's one of the only outside linebackers we haven't tried yet. I still have faith in Ebukam and JFM, but I have to admit that we haven't been getting the needed sacks/TFLs that we should be getting. OO45 is a talented linebacker when it comes to getting pressure.

One thing Ebukam still demonstrates is near-elite closing ability, I really like how quickly he can close the gap on ball carriers. But yeah he's not been very good at setting the edge and getting pressure, which makes me wonder how he'd do on the interior, maybe that closing ability would serve him well fillin holes.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think some of you are about to find out what a real edge rusher looks like. Maybe not this year. Obo has Von Miller attributes.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If Okoronkwo can contribute this year he can't be any worse than we have. McVay brought up Okoronkwo after being asked. But he had a little more pep in talking about Okoronkwo and Natson which tells me that he excited by the thought of Okoronkwo being available. To me and had told me all I need to know. Okoronkwo will be playing g this year. At least that is my opinion.

Last edited:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I think some of you are about to find out what a real edge rusher looks like. Maybe not this year. Obo has Von Miller attributes.

Let’s hope he gets to play and add to the rotation.

Haven’t watched much of him yet.

MachS

Hall of Fame
He's got more natural pass rush ability than anyone on our roster not named AD. He might not play this year but he's not going anywhere.

dang

Legend
The Edge has 1 sack :baghead: which was by Ebukam. Sorry but that is totally unacceptable for this defense. Coach Wade must keep looking for someone to contribute. Remember - this is an all in season.

Attachments

• paperbag[1].gif
    paperbag[1].gif
    973 bytes · Views: 93
  • paperbag[1].gif
    paperbag[1].gif
    973 bytes · Views: 91
  • paperbag[1].gif
    paperbag[1].gif
    973 bytes · Views: 87

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
which tells 》ME《 that he excited by the thought of Okoronkwo being available. To 》ME《 and had told 》ME《 all 》I《 need to know. At least that is 》MY《opinion.

Wait a minute.
How did this thread suddenly become all about you? :pillowfight:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Obo and Kelly were the two rookies i wanted to see most this season, and my dreams have yet come true. Hopefully i can get a glimpse towards the end of the season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, well, my wife knocked a glass off the table and shattered it this morning, and i just got a tiny splinter of it in my foot. So while Obo Okoronkwo may be like Von Miller, I'm pretty much John McClane.

fearsomefour

Legend
Most disappointed....but not surprised.....by Easelys injury. Hadhope for him setting the edge of nothing else.