Obo Okoronkwo progressing: won't be handed a roster spot:

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As I mentioned above, I just don't get the fascination with Barron. Hope he proves me wrong.
Wade loves him, I love him, and my boss loves him. Good enough for me. After what we’ve seen from our LB and Safety corps, watch Barron more closely.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I want to see the following line of linebackers:

Okoronkwo…..Littleton.....Barron......Ebukam

….play for 6 straight games with each other, to see how we do against the run, and to see what kind of edge push we can get.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't expect ...anything (Obo) was a fifth round pick after all.
I don't know man, our Scouts have been kicking ass.
Then add in the coaching.

I say he has a 50/50 chance of being special.

And with the defensive tackles we have?
I could see them creating some space for him to work in.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I don't know man, our Scouts have been kicking ass.
Then add in the coaching.

I say he has a 50/50 chance of being special.

And with the defensive tackles we have?
I could see them creating some space for him to work in.

Totally agree! I think eventually he will be a very good/valuable player for the Defense! Hopefully, Sooner than later!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1053686856091557888

https://www.therams.com/news/okoronkwo-begins-to-practice-but-not-expected-to-play-for-a-while

Fifth-round pick outside linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo is finally eligible to practice after starting the season on the physically unable to perform list.

The Rams have stared their 21-day window to have Okoronkwo on the practice field, and the rookie out of Oklahoma has participated in this week’s sessions. But given that Okoronkwo suffered his foot injury during Phase II of the offseason program, he really hasn’t ever had a chance to practice with L.A. In fact, this week’s practices are his first opportunity to even go line up in 11-on-11 drills.
joniav55fwzbj5nwna66.jpg

When you combine that with the face that Wednesday’s session was a walk-thru, it’s likely not fair to expect too much too soon from Okoronkwo.

“Yeah, you can't really evaluate too much in that. That's like saying, 'How did he walk around today in the building?' You tell me,” head coach Sean McVay said with a laugh on Wednesday.

McVay then came right out and said that even though Thursday and Friday are days to better evaluate the young edge rusher, Okoronkwo isn’t going to play this week.

“Knowing that he's not going to play, he's not going to take those mental reps that guys that are going to be able to play in this game on Sunday are,” McVay said. “But, what we will do in the meantime with those 21 days that we do have, is really start to look physically, 'Is he going to be ready to go? Do we feel like he's going to be somebody that can help us out?' That's what we're hopeful for.”

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said that the hope is for Okoronkwo to pick up enough of the defense in the 21-day period to be effective on the field sooner than later.

“We haven’t seen him that much in practice yet,” Phillips said. “We’re hopeful that he will do well, but he wouldn’t be ready to play this week for sure.”

“That’s what we’re proud of, as far as our teaching progression, as far as — we’re going to play the best player, whoever he is. If it's a rookie, he’s going to know what to do when he plays. Because it’s, ‘Have you won for me now?’ is the name of the business. So we feel like our teaching progression has is good enough that we can play a young player, old player, whatever. So if he’s good enough and ready to play, then we’ll let him play.”

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Obo had equally as much or more talent on paper/film as a 3-4 'pass rushing defensive end compared to Ebukam and Longacre when the Rams drafted him.

His foot injury blew up any hopes of seeing this proven on the field before the season started.

If he's truly 100% and gets cleared to play in the next 2 or 3 weeks, I still believe he will be an upgrade/added pass rushing serge in the second half of the season.

I may have overrated Obo but until we see him in a regular season game, we are all guessing what his impact will be..

881443100.jpg.0.jpg