OBJ signs with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
When I looked at Woods extension originally it was clear from the structure that Woods would be a Ram through 2022. After that, the Rams have an out over the last 2 years. Even Woods has to have known that when he signed. So I expect Woods to be a Ram next year, but after that, in 2023 and 2024 his cap will be too high and his release would clear $9+M in cap space.

OBJ wants to stay in LA but he's the same age as Woods, i.e. he will be 30 next year. He would have to take a hometown discount on a contract that would probably be 3 years but only 2 years by its structure, to stay. His production and value this year will determine if he's worth the money.

Jefferson projects as Woods' replacement with Harris out of the slot in the future. Harris gives them everything they originally wanted out of Reynolds, but with significantly better speed. Kupp, Jefferson, and Harris aren't a bad trio. All can get deep and Kupp and Jefferson are good possession receivers as well. With Benny Sko behind them, they would be 4 deep.

That said Kupp is a FA in 2024, but I can see them restructuring Kupp's contract next year to clear more cap space if they want to keep OBJ. I see it as through 2025 by structure.

What I'm saying is that they theoretically can keep OJB for a couple of years if his numbers are reasonable. This would mean they would need to have their follow-on WRs for 2024 and beyond. Van Jefferson's rookie contract expires in 2024 as well. The way he's progressing he would look to be their #1WR from 2024 on. Harris could potentially be that #2. It's why I think WR will be a priority for the Rams in the next draft.
[/QUOTEVery nice write-up on WRs. I am cautiously optimistic on Jefferson. He is talented but seems to struggle in a crowd.

dang

Legend
Very nice write-up on WRs. I am cautiously optimistic on Jefferson. He is talented but so far seems to struggle in a crowd.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jay Glazer was just on the Pat McAfee Show and said this..

Jay Glazer just said that OBj wanted to go to the Rams the entire time and the Rams weren't courting OBj initially and that Ramsey brought the idea to McVay on Wednesday. And Ramsey sealed the deal.

Glazer also said Ramsey has a lot of "juice" in this league.

Glazer also said that OBj has wanted to be a Ram for a long time. Glazer said that when OBj got traded to CLE that OBj told Glazer he needs to find a way to be traded again to the Rams.

Turns out, the Rams have always been the team OBj wanted to be on.

That's pretty cool to me.

Yeah. If Beckham wants to be here, thats real cool.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
As the Stafford and Miller posts have been brought back up, I thought I'd do the same with OBJ.

Glad OBJ is a Ram, I think that GB is likely still in playoffs if OBJ had signed there. Still think the Rams would be there as well.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I didn't realize that if we trade Robert Woods post june-1, we have $2.2mil in dead and save $13.5mil.

That's substantial if they want to find a way to keep OBj.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I knew there was an out but didn't know the details on it. $2.2M makes it even more likely he's moved.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I didn't realize that if we trade Robert Woods post june-1, we have $2.2mil in dead and save $13.5mil.

That's substantial if they want to find a way to keep OBj.

You might want to take another look at that.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
You might want to take another look at that.

I got my information from Over The Cap.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure if I can recall a better one-two WR punch as a Ram fan than Kupp/OBJ. Yeah, I know Holt/Bruce would be at the top but that was just about two decades ago. These two WR's fit in with Stafford ...just work perfectly together!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure if I can recall a better one-two WR punch as a Ram fan than Kupp/OBJ. Yeah, I know Holt/Bruce would be at the top but that was just about two decades ago. These two WR's fit in with Stafford ...just work perfectly together!
I was curious and looking back through some of our lean offensive years and how about 2015 :D Kupp had 145 receptions this year. In 2015 our top 4 in receptions totaled 153. Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook and Benny Cunningham hahaha

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got my information from Over The Cap.
Not how they figure out their numbers, but there's 8.6 mill in dead cap left from his signing bonus, which is currently spread over the last 4 years of the deal. To my understanding, since that money was paid out, there's no way to move it to another team, and the hit would become due immediately pre June 1, and if post June 1, 2.2 mill would be dead cap in 2022 and the remaining 6.4 dead cap would be pushed to 2023.
The way OTC has it, post June 1 is hitting the cap in 23,24 & 25 for the 2~ mill each year.
So the way I see it, (which I am certainly no expert) Woods in 2022 at a minimum costs 2.2 dead + 3.5 mill roster bonus if traded post June 1, and then 6+ mill of dead cap in 2023.

Either way, the "savings" these sites recognize is not exactly savings because the dead cap is realized, and the player they add to replace him also counts towards the CAP.
Meaning, in theory they re-sign OBJ and trade Woods to offset, Woods current cap number is 15.7 mill, dead cap 5.7 mill (+6 mill in 2023), net 10 mill. So in order to sign OBJ and trade Woods with no impact to the 2022 cap, Woods Cap number would have to be 10 mill or less.
Seems unlikely to me
Let's say OBJ signs a 7 year, 140 mill deal with a 35 mill signing bonus, and base salary of 8 mill in 2022, and 10 mill in 2023.
35 mill spread over 7 is 5 mill per prorated
So his cap number in 2022 would be 13 mill + Woods 5.7 mill = Swapping OBJ for Woods adds 3 mill to the cap
In 2023, OBJ cap number goes to 15 mill + 6.4 dead cap of Woods is an additional 6 mill of cap space used for swapping out the 2
Contracts are obviously more complex than this, and can skew the #s but the point will be the same.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was curious and looking back through some of our lean offensive years and how about 2015 :D Kupp had 145 receptions this year. In 2015 our top 4 in receptions totaled 153. Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook and Benny Cunningham hahaha
How about these apples?
In 2001, the year some say was the best GSOT offense, Isaac Bruce (64) and Torry Holt (81) combined for, you guessed it, 145 receptions!!!!
What a season Kupp had in 2021.
And for sure, what a turd-burger that 2015 team was!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For some reason I still like Fish. Still appreciate what he did for us. But goddamn was he in over his head on offense. Cro-magnon as F.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still have a feeling that Skow's gonna make a play or two in the games ahead. He looks like the dude who parks your car, but goddamn if his game doesn't fit the QB.

1643222427013.png

1643222475379.png