OBJ might take the hometown discount?!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
my thoughts...

OBJ is a one and done type of player. He seems to have 1 good year (sometimes 2)with a team and then he starts his antics and starts to become a distraction.

I would rather not have that

Robot Reaction GIF

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd love to see someone with OBJ's talent return. But would he be the proverbial luxury we can't afford? He would surely upgrade the WR3 position with Kupp and Woods. But it would be a crowded receiver room.

Do they view Jefferson as a viable long term guy for them? If not, then yeah I'd definitely want OBJ to return. But it would probably slow Jefferson's growth as a receiver relegating him to the 4th receiver. Although he would be a nice insurance option like Reynolds was if one of the top 3 goes down.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Part of his deal with the Rams was a $500k bonus if he plays 1 play in the Super Bowl and another $1 million if we win it. All on the weekend his lady is going to become his baby mamma. He might like it here enough to stay but that's something to worry about a month down the line when we're still celebrating :D

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sammy Watkins got 15 million per year after that bad season with us I'm pretty sure. And the free agent receivers class is bad. Someone could try to offer him 16 plus.
Fair point, for sure.

I think off-field revenues and potential revenues from being in LA and Hollywood-adjacent will have a big say in this.

I've pointed out before that he's made $80m+ on the field already in his career... so I wonder what the calculus between playing money.. off field money.. and situational happiness will be.

I would think that he would have great trepidation going into an unsettled situation. Is making 10-15 million less over the course of a contract going to be something he can't walk away from?

We'll see.

Ram65

Legend
It's good that he said that. Options are more open now. There is still plenty time before decisions have to b made plus the Super Bowl outcome. It's a complex situation with Jefferson being younger and Woods coming back from injury. It's fun to think about it. I don't see a team giving OBJ a big contract because of his injury history and him being unhappy at times. The salary cap is also a consideration. Even though he has played well he looks more like a number 2 WR to me.

RamWoodie

Legend
Hmmm. How much of a discount? I remain of the belief that it's gonna be hard to keep this guy. We'll see. If he wants to stay in LA, it may be with the Chargers.

It's gonna be some hard decision making done after the Rams win the SuperBowl...because everyone starting on the team is worth more.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Two years ago, long before his moving to L.A., OBj was the 17'th highest paid athlete earning endorsement money. Once he wins a Super Bowl ring in a city like L.A., his opportunity for endorsements skyrocket. His 2017 5 year $29M. deal with NIKE is set to expire this year, and this is just NIKE, no other products, ... imagine how high this ramps up with a Super Bowl win and how many other advertisers will be seeking him out. The sky is his only limit, remaining in L.A. as a Ram and accepting a reasonably team friendly salary contract will be rewarded incredibly by huge product endorsements.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, like he's going to give up 10 million dollars... wtf
For on the field stuff.
What does staying in LA earn him, long-term?

What kinds of opportunities that he’s interested in does being in LA afford him?

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Love the way OBJ has played but let’s be realistic here. Rams have a lot of money tied up in Woods and Kupp. You can only play so many receivers at one time and you can’t tie up your cap space to retain a luxury you can’t afford. Hopefully OBJ signs a big contract elsewhere and the Rams get a nice comp pick out of him. So many places that this team needs to spend money either to retain their own players or add help. There is no way that they can possibly keep OBJ. He’s earned himself a nice payday and helped the Rams to the Super Bowl. It’s a win win situation for both. I’m looking forward for Robert Woods return. He’s a great Ram and the epitome of a we not me player.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
One reason to take less money too is the amount of endorsements he’d get playing for a winning team in the LA market. He’ll still make a shit ton of money

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Love the way OBJ has played but let’s be realistic here. Rams have a lot of money tied up in Woods and Kupp. You can only play so many receivers at one time and you can’t tie up your cap space to retain a luxury you can’t afford. Hopefully OBJ signs a big contract elsewhere and the Rams get a nice comp pick out of him. So many places that this team needs to spend money either to retain their own players or add help. There is no way that they can possibly keep OBJ. He’s earned himself a nice payday and helped the Rams to the Super Bowl. It’s a win win situation for both. I’m looking forward for Robert Woods return. He’s a great Ram and the epitome of a we not me player.

Does OBj even qualify for us getting a Comp pick for him, he didn't start a game until week 10.

While I appreciate everything Woods has done for us, I would take OBj and a trade pick for Woods in a heartbeat.
jmo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That’s why we’re saying you would probably only have one year of OBJ and Woods together.
They could do a cheap first year deal for OBJ & load it up on back end.

TexasRam

Legend
Might depend on how well OBJ plays in the Super Bowl.

If he disappears we Might see the Rams move on.

If he has a big game then he gets prioritized.

There are lots of different perspectives on OBJ right now. Some see the old OBJ - the speed, quickness moves and hands. Others think he is not the same player anymore.

Biggest stage coming up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does everyone keep insisting that the LA market drives up endorsements? Like who? Lebron was already the highest paid basketball player before arriving in LA. I dont see Aaron Donald raking in the bucks on the left coast.
Who are the highest profile NFLers? Rodgers Mahomes, Baker Mayfield? None of them playing in major markets. Odell is Odell, and his star is back on the map wherever he plays next

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Why does everyone keep insisting that the LA market drives up endorsements? Like who? Lebron was already the highest paid basketball player before arriving in LA. I dont see Aaron Donald raking in the bucks on the left coast.
Who are the highest profile NFLers? Rodgers Mahomes, Baker Mayfield? None of them playing in major markets. Odell is Odell, and his star is back on the map wherever he plays next

While there is some truth to what you say on a national level, endorsements in major metropolitan areas can also be very lucrative, and Los Angeles is just that.
Aaron Donald may not be the prettiest guy out there, and isn't as recognizable as some QB's & WR's, but he still gets local coverage with Rocket Mortgage and a couple others, one being the L.A. Gear ad with Cooper Kupp. I'm sure OBj will also be doing some L.A. targeted marketing if he stays.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
OBJ had one of the biggest endorsement deals in the NFL.. it's ending this year. He got it when he was with.... The Giants.

Davante Adams.. .Justin Jefferson... well.. not so much.

Part of the reason was just that Beckham was a unique player and personality.. but to think that he would have gotten the same deal in.. Cleveland? Not likely.

Odell wasn't still a star in Cleveland.. for many reasons.. including on the field. With the Rams? He's a star on the field again... in the nation's second largest market.. next to Hollywood. It's a much better fit than chasing dollars somewhere else.. AND... he's having fun.

The rest of the stuff is apples and oranges.. QBs are QBs.. the elite are always going to get the bigger deals.