OBJ - 2 TD's in 3 games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
That's seriously amazing. I love this wide receiver group from the top down; that includes Harris, and even Atwell has the potential to surprise me. OBJ certainly has been a surprise to me; I thought it would be a bad pickup. Silly me. That's why, while I will question the front office at times, they're usually right, and I'm usually wrong.

It's understandable though because like anything else the high school rumor or the media portrayal and especially talk show and sports radio media they just want material and while they play both sides for listeners. Sports is just like politics lol if it gets us to listen they run with it. I'm not saying OBJ is an angel but he wasn't the monster or pitiful teammate that he was made out to be. Had he been that the the actual people that played with him one or two could of said he was terrible a cancer etc. Granted people change but I'm glad he is a ram and hope he stays one. It will be interesting because we have some young guys and when Trees comes back Van, Coop, what happens with Tutu and Harris etc. I always had hope for OBJ because living in NY and seeing the relationship he formed with Kim Jones who was basically the only reporter he would speak too having heard her speak candidly about OBJ and her like and admiration of him and there friendship that's when my opinion of him changed. Like I said he is no angel but he not who they say he is either.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Van Jefferson is similar in the deep threat aspect, but I don't trust his hands
I think Terrell Owens had a case of the dropsies his first couple of years as well. Hopefully, Van Jefferson will get over this. The potential is there, IMO. It's all up to him at this point.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Havent seen this posted yet, but Salary Cap expected to go up to $208M. That's $26M more than this year in 2021. We have the Gurley and Goff $ coming off the books. I also suspect Whitworth retires as he turns 41 this week and its time Noteboom gets the LT job. Not to mention a Stafford extension clears up $11M in space. Sooooo we will likely have $50M-60M in space to sign OBJ, Von, and a couple other studs if we want.

View: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1467516937706029068?s=20

Prior to that announcement I had read that the rams had the ability to create about 45 million in cap space with some reworking of contracts and Stafford extension.

If I remember I think right off the bat:
Stafford = 11 million
Donald = 6 million
Ramsey = 12 million
Then add in big Whit. So we can keep some and add a couple as well hopefully like Tampa we win and run it back lol.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Havent seen this posted yet, but Salary Cap expected to go up to $208M. That's $26M more than this year in 2021. We have the Gurley and Goff $ coming off the books. I also suspect Whitworth retires as he turns 41 this week and its time Noteboom gets the LT job. Not to mention a Stafford extension clears up $11M in space. Sooooo we will likely have $50M-60M in space to sign OBJ, Von, and a couple other studs if we want.
Not sure where you are getting the $50-60M from.

Spotrac is a quality salary cap site; and allows the viewer to filter for specific information.

Spotrac uses the speculated $208M cap for 2022; and has the Rams with just $4.6M of cap space. That would increase by $13M should Whitworth retire. If the Rams can create another $11M (as you suggest) via a Stafford extension, that would bring their cap space to $28.6M (4.6 + 13 + 11).

Now there would be a few other opportunities to open cap space. For example, releasing A'Shawn Robinson would result in $5.5M of dead-$ but would also create $4M of cap space. Rams should be able to do some business but I don't see 50-60M of cap space.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Not sure where you are getting the $50-60M from.

Spotrac is a quality salary cap site; and allows the viewer to filter for specific information.

Spotrac uses the speculated $208M cap for 2022; and has the Rams with just $4.6M of cap space. That would increase by $13M should Whitworth retire. If the Rams can create another $11M (as you suggest) via a Stafford extension, that would bring their cap space to $28.6M (4.6 + 13 + 11).

Now there would be a few other opportunities to open cap space. For example, releasing A'Shawn Robinson would result in $5.5M of dead-$ but would also create $4M of cap space. Rams should be able to do some business but I don't see 50-60M of cap space.
Well we have $33M in dead cap this year from Goff and Gurley. That $33M comes off the books next year. So 33+28= 61

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Well we have $33M in dead cap this year from Goff and Gurley. That $33M comes off the books next year. So 33+28= 61
Unfortunately, that $33M is already included in the Spotrac 2022 calculation that I referenced above.

The Rams restructured Donald, Ramsey, Woods and Kupp prior to this year to open up cap space. As a result, their combined cap hit in 2021 is around $35M. However, their combined cap hit increases to $84M in 2022.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

@MachS Can you restructure a player multiple times I know it's kicking the can down the road but Ramsey is young enough and AD well speaks for itself but that's 6.1 so we don't need to unless we need too lol.

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Remember, as Stafford has to drain the rest of his Detroit tendencies from his game, obj has to get used to the fact that he's not running routes for Daniel Jones and baker. That's why he has slowed up on a few.

I think the offense will keep improving with Odell, stafford, and Sony getting more comfortable with the playbook

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Remember, as Stafford has to drain the rest of his Detroit tendencies from his game, obj has to get used to the fact that he's not running routes for Daniel Jones and baker. That's why he has slowed up on a few.

I think the offense will keep improving with Odell, Stafford, and Sony getting more comfortable with the playbook
OBJ didn't play with Daniel Jones.