Oak may be a drakhorse in a trade down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Teams that need a QB like the Browns also need to sell tickets. I have no idea how Manziel will pan out in the NFL, but he would sell tickets and get people excited.

duckhunter

Starter
The link to Romo was in terms of his ability to ad lib when things break down and his escapability. That's all I was comparing the two on. His arm might be a little bit of an issue but it wasn't an issue in the SEC and it's full of NFL CB's. Plus arm strength can be helped to an extent. I kinda see him arm being similar to Brees. Brees' arm is not that strong. I personally think arm strength is overrated for QB's in the NFL. You need some strength but accuracy is WAY more important. He has shown pocket presence in college and the tendency to keep his eyes down field, which is also important.

I think that if JM can get the mental side of the NFL down, he'll be a solid QB. I think the physical abilities are good enough to succeed. I'm not sure he'd be elite but solid- assuming he can "get it".

Agree totally with your post.

The one thing to avoid with JM is putting him on the move. MU would purposely keep him in the pocket and rush their lanes. His success rate increases dramatically when he is on the move with both his feet and arm for whatever reason. I think he prefers being flushed toward the edges rather than moving up through the middle and out of the pocket.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I agree, I'm just thinking that McDaniels may not want to reach for a QB and draft for need if he thinks Hoyer can do the job and can use those valuable picks on the variety of other positions that Cleveland must need help at. It's certainly going to be an interesting draft. Especially if the Texans pull a Texans and take someone other than Bridgewater like when they took Mario over Bush.

Cleveland has a good nucleus already IMO but a guy like McDaniels taking the job would introduce the possibility of going with Hoyer over just about any other HC candidate. As complicated as the offense is, they may want to go with a vet who already knows it. Cleveland is also a fanbase that's going to show up pretty much regardless of what they do there so the Browns won't necessarily be compelled to take a flashy pick in fear of attendance.

But I really don't know how strong the rumors are that McDaniels will even go there. The Browns can't even talk to him until NE's out of the playoffs and they may not want to wait that long.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh, don't get me wrong either. I'm not championing Manziel. It's just the way it is every year. QBs are the hot commodity for teams that don't have that guy on the team, and they'll overspend to get one. Even if it means over-reaching in the draft as well. We can only hope that all of these QB's stocks rise exponentially after the combine and their subsequent pro days. That makes our spot (thanks Snyder!) much more valuable.

^ This.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In todays NFL, you need a quarterback who can create.

Manziel certainly creates.

I don't agree with that. You need a QB that can read a defense and make a decision and deliver an accurate ball. The guys who are usually "creating" are the guys who don't do all three of those things all that well.

I always say a QB has to make his living from his side of the LOS. On the other side of the LOS there are 11 guys lurking and waiting for the chance to neutralize the other teams most important player.

…..

Legend
I don't agree with that. You need a QB that can read a defense and make a decision and deliver an accurate ball. The guys who are usually "creating" are the guys who don't do all three of those things all that well.

I always say a QB has to make his living from his side of the LOS. On the other side of the LOS there are 11 guys lurking and waiting for the chance to neutralize the other teams most important player.

Yeah you can whittle anyone down if you chose to look hard enough. I don't disagree with you on QB play at all.

I think there are great creators, (and I'm not saying Manziel is on of them, its just what might make him a top 10 pick ) who also fit your description. Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo come to mind. Steve Young was a great pocket QB who could create something from nothing.

We're speaking about creating though....and Manziel is not afraid to do that. Pocket passing extraordinaire? That remains to be seen.

at any rate....I doubt that we'll be picking him so its all just conversation ;)

Name
JP
I do agree, Oakland seems like a fit for Manziel, I also think he would be a perfect fit for a Rex Ryan team.

Name
JP
cleveland is supposedly enamored with Mr.Johnny...

I went to college near Cleveland, and my roommate is from the area. He has told me that to, so you have to ask yourself if their HC search will be narrowed down to guys that are okay with having JM as the QB.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah you can whittle anyone down if you chose to look hard enough. I don't disagree with you on QB play at all.

I think there are great creators, (and I'm not saying Manziel is on of them, its just what might make him a top 10 pick ) who also fit your description. Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo come to mind. Steve Young was a great pocket QB who could create something from nothing.

We're speaking about creating though....and Manziel is not afraid to do that. Pocket passing extraordinaire? That remains to be seen.

at any rate....I doubt that we'll be picking him so its all just conversation :wink:

I thought Manziel was more of a running QB. Is he a scrambler type more than a runner? I only see highlights and those lead me to believe at his size he will be smashed in the NFL before too long.

…..

Legend
he is kinda small.....that's true.

I'm not a film guy...also going of highlight reels. The 2 games I saw showed me that his runs were the result of scrambling to buy time. They did a good job with the QB draw, especially in the red zone. but mostly it seemed to me he scrambled for a majority of the yards. I could be wrong. No data to support that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The guy who takes the Browns job without a no fire clause for 4 years is going to last two years.

You heard it here first lol.

(No fire clause meaning the Browns have to pay an exorbitant price like 25 million if they fire him within a certain timeframe)

iced

The guy who takes the Browns job without a no fire clause for 4 years is going to last two years.

You heard it here first lol.

(No fire clause meaning the Browns have to pay an exorbitant price like 25 million if they fire him within a certain timeframe)

it'll be a Patriots disciple, so he'll probably get 3 years..