O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
He's not the only one that had concerns.
I was also very concerned about that unit.

I admit it is improved, but its certainly not great.

I want a 2018 caliber
O-line.
Right but considering McVay didn’t play any starters preseason last year whilst inserting 3 new inexperienced starters, one perhaps could have foreseen bumps in the road

At least that’s been my take all along

TexasRam

Legend
Corbett and Edwards have been really solid. I can see Corbett moving to Center and Evans to RG in 2021, because of cap challenges and the inability to resign Blythe.

Talent wise this Oline is probably a 10-15 league ranked group, when Whitworth is in there. Better run blocking then they are as pass blockers. Blythe and Havenstein can be liabilities. They are probably a top 5 run blocking group but the TE and WR blocking is inconsistent and often brings the unit down.

The pass protection issues are even more glaring with Noteboom but Mcvay covers it up real well with the short passing game and moving Goff out of the pocket.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Speaking of wrong

you screwed the pooch with your constant bitching, moaning and yes even whining over the pre season state of affair of this line

Yet, as of to date, I haven’t seen you yet own up to your utterly (let’s see be careful OC) ridiculously erroneous bad take?

I mean seriously, that’s all you harped on seemingly forever preseason, some of US, yes us, actually were patient, and here were are at 9-4

for your sake, choose your next words well, cuz right now you ain’t looking too credible

Wow, I guess some people enjoy pointing out when others didn't get something right. I for one was very concerned with Corbett at guard because I felt his run blocking was weak last season. Then they move him over to RG and he has looked good. So I guess you can call me out to for being wrong too.

TexasRam

Legend
Yea I admittedly was really pissed we didnt draft a lineman early. Turned out fine with Corbett and Edwards emergence. The Corbett signing saved some people within the organization. The Noteboom injury at guard was also a positive, letting the organization see how much better Edwards was at G. In my opinion.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
He's not the only one that had concerns.
I was also very concerned about that unit.

I admit it is improved, but its certainly not great.

I want a 2018 caliber
O-line.

It's a very young group overall--they might get there, maybe with a tweak or two by next year.

dang

Legend
Keep looking for the next Corbett in a low risk trades and R3-R5 draft talent for the OL. Feed the beast for depth and cap friendly deals.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Speaking of wrong

you screwed the pooch with your constant bitching, moaning and yes even whining over the pre season state of affair of this line

Yet, as of to date, I haven’t seen you yet own up to your utterly (let’s see be careful OC) ridiculously erroneous bad take?

I mean seriously, that’s all you harped on seemingly forever preseason, some of US, yes us, actually were patient, and here were are at 9-4

for your sake, choose your next words well, cuz right now you ain’t looking too credible

I’ve owned up to it in another post, but since you asked I’ll give you my views.

Havenstein has bounced back from injuries much better than I thought he could. Whitworth has played at a high level once again. Left and Right tackle weren’t my big concerns. However I did think that Snead should have been looking for a OLT of the future, since Noteboom isn’t that good.

My biggest concern was with the interior. You can’t put bad players next to each other on the Offensive line. It never works well. But they started Blythe alongside Noteboom anyhow and it was not working. Many here couldn’t fathom the choice. We wanted Edwards or Evans. Notebooms injury fixed that. Edwards has steadily gotten better alongside Whitworth. He has become so good that they can still run to the left side despite Noteboom blocking ghosts.

Blythe is still not good. He’s covered decently by playing between Edwards and Corbett. But Blythe is still not a good pass blocker, especially with stunts, and teams know it. His run blocking is adequate but not exactly good. I don’t know why Allen is on the roster. If he’s the second best center then they have a serious depth problem.
They still need a good center imo.

Corbett is steadily improving. I wasn’t impressed with him last year but he’s an average guard right now.

So with Havenstein back to form and Edwards and Whitworth the running game has been very good. Overall the pass blocking isn’t great, and it’s affected the offense. Goff does not have enough time to throw. The passing game has become shorter and the deep routes are nearly non existent.

Noteboom has done well enough pass blocking but the Patriots gave him more trouble than the first few teams, so I’m not eating crow on Joe. His run blocking is atrociously bad. Watch a game and focus on him alone. Whitworth can’t get back fast enough.

So in summary, they can run the ball which was a big concern in this offense. The scheme is better too. I don’t think they have as much success if the receivers and TE’s don’t block well though. I’ll eat crow on that. Pass blocking is not that good. I won’t eat crow on that. The offense isn’t great.

Ive laughed at my 6-8 win prediction many times.

Last edited:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I’ve owned up to it in another post, but since you asked I’ll give you my views.

Havenstein has bounced back from injuries much better than I thought he could. Whitworth has played at a high level once again. Left and Right tackle weren’t my big concerns. However I did think that Snead should have been looking for a OLT of the future, since Noteboom isn’t that good.

My biggest concern was with the interior. You can’t put bad players next to each other on the Offensive line. It never works well. But they started Blythe alongside Noteboom anyhow and it was not working. Many here couldn’t fathom the choice. We wanted Edwards or Evans. Notebooms injury fixed that. Edwards has steadily gotten better alongside Whitworth. He has become so good that they can still run to the left side despite Noteboom blocking ghosts.

Blythe is still not good. He’s covered decently by playing between Edwards and Corbett. But Blythe is still not a good pass blocker, especially with stunts, and teams know it. His run blocking is adequate but not exactly good. I don’t know why Allen is on the roster. If he’s the second best center then they have a serious depth problem.

Corbett is steadily improving. I wasn’t impressed with him last year but he’s an average guard right now.

So with Havenstein back to form and Edwards and Whitworth the running game has been very good. Overall the pass blocking isn’t great, and it’s affected the offense. Goff does not have enough time to throw. The passing game has become shorter and the deep routes are nearly non existent.

Noteboom has done well enough pass blocking but the Patriots gave him more trouble than the first few teams, so I’m not eating crow on Joe. His run blocking is atrociously bad. Watch a game and focus on him alone. Whitworth can’t get back fast enough.

So in summary, they can run the ball which was a big concern in this offense. The scheme is better too. I don’t think they have as much success if the receivers and TE’s don’t block well though. I’ll eat crow on that. Pass blocking is not that good. I won’t eat crow on that. The offense isn’t great.

That was actually a pretty spot on assessment, and yes Noteboom at this stage couldn’t carry big Whits jock, my point I suppose was the jury still hadn’t returned a verdict, so far I honestly will give them overall a B with a possibility to to get better

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Right but considering McVay didn’t play any starters preseason last year whilst inserting 3 new inexperienced starters, one perhaps could have foreseen bumps in the road

At least that’s been my take all along
I found that odd as well.

I'm fine with McVay sitting experienced starters, but I completely diagreed with sitting Rookie starters.

dang

Legend

I predicted 11-5 at the beginning of the season. Given that the Rams gave away the MIA and SF2 games it appears I underestimated. This is largely due to how much the defense has accomplished with so many new pieces and parts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Our oline always looked better in 12 personel.
Which I why many of us have discussed it throughout the year.

Last season we started using more of it the second half of the season. Had we not, our record would have easily been under 500.
Higbee became a key component in our offense and showed that he could be a very reliable contributor in the passing game.

Without a wr that can stretch the field, I believe the 12 gives us our best chance to win.
Sean McVay explains Rams’ recent shift toward more 12 personnel (yahoo.com)
McVay explains Rams’ recent shift toward more 12 personnel
Cameron DaSilva
Sun, December 13, 2020, 11:04 AM EST·5 min read

666f51a3ee5f89b4162e27e2d9097416

In Sean McVay’s first season as a head coach, the Los Angeles Rams utilized 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) a whopping 80% of the time, most in the NFL. In 2018, that rate increased to 89% – once again, the highest percentage in the league. Last season, McVay made a noticeable shift away from his heavy 11 personnel usage, deploying those groupings just 73% of the time; that was still tied for third-most.

But this season, the Rams’ use of 11 personnel has decreased even further. They’ve deployed 11 personnel only 69% of the time, according to Sharp Football Stats, ninth-highest in the NFL. That’s still their base personnel package, but it’s hardly the only grouping McVay has used.

In the last two weeks, the Rams have actually used 12 personnel more than any other package. According to Next Gen Stats, the Rams have had one running back, two tight ends and two receivers on the field 59% of the time, which ranks highest in the NFL. On Thursday against the Patriots, for the first time ever in McVay’s tenure, two tight ends played more snaps than all of the Rams’ receivers, deploying 12 personnel 69% of the time.
The Rams have switched to feature 12 personnel on a majority of their snaps in their past two games, almost tripling their usage compared to Weeks 1-12.
Rams 12 Personnel Rate
Weeks 1-12: 23% (9th)
Weeks 13-14: 59% (1st, only team over 40%)#NEvsLA | #RamsHouse
— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) December 11, 2020

It’s been impossible to ignore the mentality change the Rams have undergone in the last two weeks against the Cardinals and Patriots, getting Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett on the field together more often than ever.
The result has been a resurgence in their rushing attack, with Cam Akers gaining 171 yards on the ground Thursday. It’s obviously intentional and something McVay feels is important

“I think it’s added another layer to our offense that’s important,” McVay said last week. “That was something that we wanted to be intentional about this offseason. I think Coach (Aaron) Kromer, our coaches and then it all goes back to the players’ execution. It’s big because when you play against some of these bigger defenses, where they’ve got some heavy edges, being able to have seven true bodies committed to the blocking surface gives you a little bit more versatility in what you can activate in the run game, as opposed to when you’re just in your three-receiver sets. For us, we want to make sure that we’re able to be as multiple as we can, kind of try to continue to try to apply pressure to the defense based on what they’re giving us. The last two weeks has definitely been reflective of that and really a lot of credit to the players.”

Opponents used to know exactly what they were going to get from the Rams. They planned to be in nickel and dime packages for the majority of the game, countering L.A.’s three-receiver sets. But with Higbee and Everett playing together more, it’s hard to predict how the Rams will attack a defense.
They saw a weakness in the Patriots’ run defense and exploited it by going heavy on the ground with Akers, and it worked; L.A. cruised to a 24-3 win. That doesn’t mean the Rams will primarily be a 12 personnel team now, as the plan will change from week to week.

“The coaches and the opposing teams that were playing, they know that’s been something we’ve used a lot more. But last night, in terms of just the way that the percentage is, in terms of how heavy it was 12 personnel, those numbers sometimes get skewed too,” McVay said. “It really matters, what I mentioned earlier, that you’re going to be in 11 in a lot of the known-passing situations, third downs, and some of the second-and-longs. What’s really a good reflection is what type of personnel groupings are you activating in the normal down-and-distances – first and second downs?

We’ve been a good balance where it’s been about 50-50 11 and 12 personnel. Last night obviously was almost exclusively 12, as was last week in some of those normal DNDs (downs-and-distances). That could adjust and adapt by the week. That is something that has been consistent for the most part throughout the year. You’ve just seen it reflected and we’ve had success each of the last couple of weeks. Because we’ve been successful in the early downs, that’s where you can stay in it a little bit more. It’s been a good thing for us. We’ll see if it ends up being the recipe that we think is most important for our success moving forward and in the next week against the Jets.”

The Jets aren’t very good in most areas on offense and defense. They rank 30th in points allowed, 29th in yards allowed and 31st in net yards per pass attempt. But they’re at least respectable against the run, allowing the 11th-fewest yards on the ground and only 3.8 yards per carry.

McVay is obviously well aware of that, so he may opt to attack this defense through the air with 11 personnel, getting three receivers on the field often. Their game plan can (and will) change by the week, which includes utilizing different personnel packages, like McVay said. We’ll just have to wait and see which one gets the most usage next week.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think it's more likely Corbett gets moved to Center if Blythe walks. Chandler Brewer, Bobby Evans, and Tremayne Anchrum could battle for the OG spot.

Or they could just draft Tommy Kraemer out of Notre Dame and let him play at RG for the next 12 years.
1607879506039.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yea I admittedly was really pissed we didnt draft a lineman early. Turned out fine with Corbett and Edwards emergence. The Corbett signing saved some people within the organization. The Noteboom injury at guard was also a positive, letting the organization see how much better Edwards was at G. In my opinion.
I was too of course I always up for drafting OL'ers for a QB like Goff.

I am sure that Snead & McVay :admin:were considering some additional Ol'ers with every selection. However, this draft tells me very good decisions were made. I see the 2020 draft like this :fistbump::love::horns:.

Even that one lonely super late 3rd-day pick .. an extremely short broad long-armed widebody strength & power OL blocker Tremayne Anchrum has a very appealing allure. No telling where Kromer dreams & plans he will insert that short former championship element.

With Kromer teaming a good pass blocking OG (Corbett) with a predominant better run blocking RT (Hav) may have made a great combination of the two. Those smaller quick pass rushers that use to give Hav big issues on the inside moves might find themselves taking on a pass-blocking fool OG instead when that ER is doing the spin inside loop move.

Rams 5 player OL currently has 2 second-day draft picks, 3 third-day draft picks starting. The Rams Reserves have 6 OL'ers under current contracts that contain 1 second-day draft pick, 3 third-day draft picks & 2 UDFA's. This excludes the 39 yr old Andrew Whitworth who is on IR.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sean McVay explains Rams’ recent shift toward more 12 personnel (yahoo.com)
McVay explains Rams’ recent shift toward more 12 personnel
Cameron DaSilva
Sun, December 13, 2020, 11:04 AM EST·5 min read

666f51a3ee5f89b4162e27e2d9097416

In Sean McVay’s first season as a head coach, the Los Angeles Rams utilized 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) a whopping 80% of the time, most in the NFL. In 2018, that rate increased to 89% – once again, the highest percentage in the league. Last season, McVay made a noticeable shift away from his heavy 11 personnel usage, deploying those groupings just 73% of the time; that was still tied for third-most.

But this season, the Rams’ use of 11 personnel has decreased even further. They’ve deployed 11 personnel only 69% of the time, according to Sharp Football Stats, ninth-highest in the NFL. That’s still their base personnel package, but it’s hardly the only grouping McVay has used.

In the last two weeks, the Rams have actually used 12 personnel more than any other package. According to Next Gen Stats, the Rams have had one running back, two tight ends and two receivers on the field 59% of the time, which ranks highest in the NFL. On Thursday against the Patriots, for the first time ever in McVay’s tenure, two tight ends played more snaps than all of the Rams’ receivers, deploying 12 personnel 69% of the time.

It’s been impossible to ignore the mentality change the Rams have undergone in the last two weeks against the Cardinals and Patriots, getting Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett on the field together more often than ever.
The result has been a resurgence in their rushing attack, with Cam Akers gaining 171 yards on the ground Thursday. It’s obviously intentional and something McVay feels is important

“I think it’s added another layer to our offense that’s important,” McVay said last week. “That was something that we wanted to be intentional about this offseason. I think Coach (Aaron) Kromer, our coaches and then it all goes back to the players’ execution. It’s big because when you play against some of these bigger defenses, where they’ve got some heavy edges, being able to have seven true bodies committed to the blocking surface gives you a little bit more versatility in what you can activate in the run game, as opposed to when you’re just in your three-receiver sets. For us, we want to make sure that we’re able to be as multiple as we can, kind of try to continue to try to apply pressure to the defense based on what they’re giving us. The last two weeks has definitely been reflective of that and really a lot of credit to the players.”

Opponents used to know exactly what they were going to get from the Rams. They planned to be in nickel and dime packages for the majority of the game, countering L.A.’s three-receiver sets. But with Higbee and Everett playing together more, it’s hard to predict how the Rams will attack a defense.
They saw a weakness in the Patriots’ run defense and exploited it by going heavy on the ground with Akers, and it worked; L.A. cruised to a 24-3 win. That doesn’t mean the Rams will primarily be a 12 personnel team now, as the plan will change from week to week.

“The coaches and the opposing teams that were playing, they know that’s been something we’ve used a lot more. But last night, in terms of just the way that the percentage is, in terms of how heavy it was 12 personnel, those numbers sometimes get skewed too,” McVay said. “It really matters, what I mentioned earlier, that you’re going to be in 11 in a lot of the known-passing situations, third downs, and some of the second-and-longs. What’s really a good reflection is what type of personnel groupings are you activating in the normal down-and-distances – first and second downs?

We’ve been a good balance where it’s been about 50-50 11 and 12 personnel. Last night obviously was almost exclusively 12, as was last week in some of those normal DNDs (downs-and-distances). That could adjust and adapt by the week. That is something that has been consistent for the most part throughout the year. You’ve just seen it reflected and we’ve had success each of the last couple of weeks. Because we’ve been successful in the early downs, that’s where you can stay in it a little bit more. It’s been a good thing for us. We’ll see if it ends up being the recipe that we think is most important for our success moving forward and in the next week against the Jets.”

The Jets aren’t very good in most areas on offense and defense. They rank 30th in points allowed, 29th in yards allowed and 31st in net yards per pass attempt. But they’re at least respectable against the run, allowing the 11th-fewest yards on the ground and only 3.8 yards per carry.

McVay is obviously well aware of that, so he may opt to attack this defense through the air with 11 personnel, getting three receivers on the field often. Their game plan can (and will) change by the week, which includes utilizing different personnel packages, like McVay said. We’ll just have to wait and see which one gets the most usage next week.
I would like to see a heavy dose of 12 to start every game. It really wears opposing defenses down. Which would give us the opportunity to open up to 11 against a tired defense.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

All due respect, Elmgrove, but you still underestimate our OL players, IMO.

Noteboom is coming along quite nicely. If one can look at the film objectively it’s right there, man.

Blythe is just an average C, but currently that’s more than adequate. I like some of his intangible. I could see a move there next year and it could be a player either currently on or off the roster. Lots of options must surely be on the table.

Corbett is now just an ‘average’ RG? Seriously? Better get your TV checked out. Corbett is kicking ass and taking names lately.

Hav is Hav. Usually very effective run blocking but sometimes vulnerable to speed rushers. Well, there are now a helluva lot of speed rushers coming from his right side. I don’t know how this is gonna wind up. Hav could be the starting RT for years, or he could be a cap casualty trade, or something else. But the point is that Hav is also more than adequate currently.

In short, I value Boom, Blythe, and Corbett more highly than you still do.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would like to see a heavy dose of 12 to start every game. It really wears opposing defenses down. Which would allow us to open up to 11 against a tired defense.
I agree with you! Playing Seattle 15 days from now in the far NW in the late afternoon on Dec 27th is where some big decisions will be made. We have seen that letting "Wilson Cook" in the 2nd half when he is behind by two scores can cause him to make an errant throw or more.

I would like to see the Rams break-out rookie 4th rd pick TE Brycen Hopkins or even bring up 2nd yr TE Kendall Blanton to see some regular-season action against the Jets.

Not sure just what McVay will do against the Jets defense he will get an opportunity to watch the Seahawks defense get them smushed all up. Jamal Adams might be a one player defense taking out his feeling on them Jets.

Not sure if the Jets can shake off the Blitz fallout yet. New DC Frank Bush (ex-Rams coach for 4 seasons 2013 thru 2016) is sure to try to rally his defensive troops for the remaining season. My guess by the time bad boy Jamal Adams gets through with the Jet's offense the Jets will be very busy robbing other NFL teams Practice Squads early this next week before the McVay gets a chance.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I predicted 11-5 at the beginning of the season. Given that the Rams gave away the MIA and SF2 games it appears I underestimated. This is largely due to how much the defense has accomplished with so many new pieces and parts.

Yes. I don't think anyone predicted this elite defense. With so many three and outs it helps the offense to have more chances. I also think o this tends to make the offense (Oline too) look much better than it actually is. Defensive touchdowns do also.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That was actually a pretty spot on assessment, and yes Noteboom at this stage couldn’t carry big Whits jock, my point I suppose was the jury still hadn’t returned a verdict, so far I honestly will give them overall a B with a possibility to to get better

I think some will continue to improve, like Corbett and maybe some backups if the move into starting roles. Blythe is who he is, Havenstein is who he is, and Noteboom isn't likely to do much more than he has. If Edwards keeps improving lookout.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
All due respect, Elmgrove, but you still underestimate our OL players, IMO.

Noteboom is coming along quite nicely. If one can look at the film objectively it’s right there, man.

Blythe is just an average C, but currently that’s more than adequate. I like some of his intangible. I could see a move there next year and it could be a player either currently on or off the roster. Lots of options must surely be on the table.

Corbett is now just an ‘average’ RG? Seriously? Better get your TV checked out. Corbett is kicking ass and taking names lately.

Hav is Hav. Usually very effective run blocking but sometimes vulnerable to speed rushers. Well, there are now a helluva lot of speed rushers coming from his right side. I don’t know how this is gonna wind up. Hav could be the starting RT for years, or he could be a cap casualty trade, or something else. But the point is that Hav is also more than adequate currently.

In short, I value Boom, Blythe, and Corbett more highly than you still do.

Its all in how you look at it. My tv is fine. Maybe what I call average is better than what you call average. He's solid but nothing spectacular. PFF seems to back that up.

If you solely focus on Noteboom's run blocking you can easily see he struggles with the same thing as he does at guard. He doesn't engage long enough and in space he block said. Maybe he is just slow or takes bad angles. He's always good for getting dumped on his weed two or three times a game and often is hardly touched. His balance is not good.

I get wanting him to be good. I want them all to be hall of fame good. But some just aren't.

It will be interesting to see if they feel any of the backups are ready to step in next year. Evans looked capable. Anchrum supposedly is but who knows. He's short for an OT. Brewer will be back and fully healthy so maybe he becomes a better Tackle option.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has anyone noticed how much bigger David Edwards has gotten? Even Havenstein looked small compared to him. And speaking of Edwards, I always thought the kid wound end up at right tackle, and I believe he could play either position equally as well. But he is a very good guard, and he's only what... 23? He and Corbett have grown quite a bit since last year. Big, strong, and ascending. Way to go, Les.