O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I always had faith that my evaluations of the o-line was correct. I saw the makings of a very solid unit. The talent is there, it simply needed to be used correctly and not in the haphazard way it was cobbled together last year. I was just watching a replay of Kupp's TD and it was Corbett making the key block allowing Goff to make the throw. Corbett is one of the more underrated guys on this unit. He was an important part of this o-line beginning to come together last year.

This line has actually exceeded my expectations in that I saw it as a solidly good unit. But these guys are showing that they can be much more. We all knew this team would only go offensively as far as the o-line could go. I don't think they are anywhere near where they could be. I do think they need to reshuffle some of the guys and bench their weak link i.e. Havenstein.

With Whitworth likely to return to the active roster, it would be a shame to bench Noteboom as he has been playing very well. But I could definitely see them moving Boom to RT until Whit actually retires. IMO Havenstein is gone next year anyway and he's been a major weak link in this unit all year just as he was last year. As we saw when Blythe got pushed into Goff and Jared took a hit on his face mask, Blythe simply isn't the caliber player this unit needs at center. I really think Shelton will take over next year.

Regardless, the o-line has proven that there is unquestioned talent there and that they are good enough to put that Lombardi within reach.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This OL is going to be very good. They are young. Whitworth, on or off the field is a huge asset for this OL. We can draft OL but with what we’ve proven in past we can draft some good prospects in the later rounds and hold on to our lower picks for a star studded one in a million guy whatever it may be.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Havenstein isn't a weak link, and he isn't getting benched. Havenstein has some limitations as a pass protector, but he's a great run blocker. Blythe is a weak link, but he's a serviceable Center. If Shelton were better, he'd be starting. I think it's more likely Corbett gets moved to Center if Blythe walks. Chandler Brewer, Bobby Evans, and Tremayne Anchrum could battle for the OG spot.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we met the Steelers, they'd struggle IMO. Maybe the Saints too.

But I was happy to rely on progression and continuity and its paying big dividends

dang

Legend
I haven’t studied film nor am I an analyst but I think a stud OC would take the OL to the next level. I think we are getting 110% from Blythe and he does seem to have built some chemistry with Hoff but we are seeing his ceiling and it can be exceeded. I don’t see Hav as a weak link but Id like to see Note start somewhere next year if Whit comes back.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I always had faith that my evaluations of the o-line was correct. I saw the makings of a very solid unit. The talent is there, it simply needed to be used correctly and not in the haphazard way it was cobbled together last year. I was just watching a replay of Kupp's TD and it was Corbett making the key block allowing Goff to make the throw. Corbett is one of the more underrated guys on this unit. He was an important part of this o-line beginning to come together last year.

This line has actually exceeded my expectations in that I saw it as a solidly good unit. But these guys are showing that they can be much more. We all knew this team would only go offensively as far as the o-line could go. I don't think they are anywhere near where they could be. I do think they need to reshuffle some of the guys and bench their weak link i.e. Havenstein.

With Whitworth likely to return to the active roster, it would be a shame to bench Noteboom as he has been playing very well. But I could definitely see them moving Boom to RT until Whit actually retires. IMO Havenstein is gone next year anyway and he's been a major weak link in this unit all year just as he was last year. As we saw when Blythe got pushed into Goff and Jared took a hit on his face mask, Blythe simply isn't the caliber player this unit needs at center. I really think Shelton will take over next year.

Regardless, the o-line has proven that there is unquestioned talent there and that they are good enough to put that Lombardi within reach.

Faith, Love, Hope are all part of being a Rams Fan.

I was going to post some of my Old Post & start others.

I guess still though no body has told me in a quite about David Edwards,Bobby Evans, & Brewer. On where they would be drafted.

My believe is The Rams depth.Noteboom is starting to really shine bright.KROMER & LES SNEAD have done a AWESOME JOB in evaluating talent.

The Corbett trade a steal & changed The Rams 2019 season & they almost made the Playoffs.

Go Back & look at RAMsey & That Rams #1 pick in 2019 who let a 3-19 to be completed to win the 49ers game.Wade lost his job because of that.Why was Aaron Donald on the Bench? Gaines & Smart were in when The Rams had them inside there own 15.

Just look at Goff 2 weeks ago against the 49ers (Miami) as well Reynolds poor play.

Havenstien will not be resigned, I agree. Kromer starting Noteboom at LG & Corbett at RG showed how much Faith The Rams have in Noteboom being there starting LT of the future.Those minutes & starts were priceless.

Bobby Evans came in for Edwards right after Whitworth went down.Shiws me he is the next OLman uP.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
BTW - The Rams are back with a lot of 2 TE sets to protect & support The Offensive Line. Just like last season when they were making a late run.

Oh & The Rams are just 2-2 & have lost both games to a depleted Niners teamZ

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Don't hurt your arm. It'd be ashame to get injured and still be wrong on so many points.

fearsomefour

Legend
Havenstein isn't a weak link, and he isn't getting benched. Havenstein has some limitations as a pass protector, but he's a great run blocker. Blythe is a weak link, but he's a serviceable Center. If Shelton were better, he'd be starting. I think it's more likely Corbett gets moved to Center if Blythe walks. Chandler Brewer, Bobby Evans, and Tremayne Anchrum could battle for the OG spot.
Don’t forget Brewer in that fight too.

fearsomefour

Legend
The game inside has benefitted from a lot of combo blocks.
A double team when a blocker then peeling off to try and pick off a defender at the second level.
This has allowed less physically dominant but athletic lineman like Corbett and Blythe to have moments of domination.
Some good patient running by Akers helps as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cam Akers deflects praise to Rams OL, WRs and TEs after 171-yard game
Cameron DaSilva/ Sat, December 12, 2020, 11:00 AM

7be30cfb74da360b1a110c886c756c00

Second-round rookie Cam Akers finally broke out for the Los Angeles Rams on Thursday night, setting career-highs with 29 carries and 171 yards rushing. It was as good a performance as the Rams have gotten out of a running back since the end of the 2018 season when Todd Gurley and C.J. Anderson were in the backfield, but Akers didn’t want to take credit for it.

After the game and then again on Twitter, he praised his teammates for the jobs they did blocking and making plays for him up front and outside.

“The offensive line was the reason the run game was so successful tonight, in my opinion. Those guys got great push every time we ran the ball,” he said after the win. “When they create the space, that’s all I needed. The rest is in my hands.”

2 words. Offensive lineman! Not to mention receivers and TEs who make plays blocking and catching…. https://t.co/wV5bMHhp60
— Cam akers (@thereal_cam3) December 12, 2020

The running lanes were big for Akers, especially early in the game when he had a run of 35 yards and a few other carries longer than 10 yards. But he deserves credit for the job he did, too, making defenders miss and creating yardage.

Outside the tackles, he gained 77 yards over expected, according to Next Gen Stats, which is impressive. He showed good vision and burst through the hole, which allowed him to rip off big plays.

Sean McVay hasn’t committed to Akers as the workhorse back moving forward, but with a performance like the one he had against New England, it’ll be hard to go back to a true committee.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I haven’t studied film nor am I an analyst but I think a stud OC would take the OL to the next level. I think we are getting 110% from Blythe and he does seem to have built some chemistry with Hoff but we are seeing his ceiling and it can be exceeded. I don’t see Hav as a weak link but Id like to see Note start somewhere next year if Whit comes back.
Landing polished well-rounded blocking centers do not come cheap( see last paragraph). Very few are found laying around in the draft. It takes several seasons to get fresh out of college OC's to be effective in the NFL.

Many here have posted over the last few months that IF Snead were to invest in an OL'er in the 2021 draft it would be a future LT. While for several seasons many have been craving a good powerful OC selection of a dominant center since John Sullivan retired.

The Future situation next season 2021 @ OC involves 3 current Ram OL'ers now. UFA Austin Blythe who has been here now since 2017. However, his contract concludes in a few months. Former 2019 starting OC Brian Allen & 2 yr main back up OC Coleman Shelton. Rams have invested in both of those last two OC's. Kromer has worked with Shelton for 2 seasons & Allen for 3 seasons. None of us has seen Shelton take a snap @ center for the Rams.

As for Brian Allen, the last time we saw him starting @ OC he had OG's Blythe/Demby & Noteboom playing next to him. :sick:

It might be a good idea before we throw Brian Allen out into WWC world in a few months ...I want to examine how well Allen would perform if he had 2 skilled starting OG's like Austin Corbett & David Edwards playing next to him. I don't think we have seen that story of Brian Allen yet?

Here's just a few UFA OC's in March of 2021:
Matt Skura Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
Chase Roullier Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
Ted Karras Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac
David Andrews Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Last edited:

dang

Legend

I appreciate the detailed analysis that you always provide but it would sell better if you removed so many ‘I, me, mys’. I stopped counting after 10. Just a friendly recommendation. Keep posting though!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Yeah our o-line has outperformed expectations.

Now if only that darn Brandon Staley and his defense could be as good...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our oline always looked better in 12 personel.
Which I why many of us have discussed it throughout the year.

Last season we started using more of it the second half of the season. Had we not, our record would have easily been under 500.
Higbee became a key component in our offense and showed that he could be a very reliable contributor in the passing game.

Without a wr that can stretch the field, I believe the 12 gives us our best chance to win.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Our oline always looked better in 12 personel.
Which I why many of us have discussed it throughout the year.

Last season we started using more of it the second half of the season. Had we not, our record would have easily been under 500.
Higbee became a key component in our offense and showed that he could be a very reliable contributor in the passing game.

Without a wr that can stretch the field, I believe the 12 gives us our best chance to win.
For some reason I believe that McVay is already primed for when defenses load upfront & leave the rear back an open vacancy.......I still think that WR's Triston Jackson, Van Jefferson & even the under 4-4 40 Webster just have that ability to go deep & often when required.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
For some reason I believe that McVay is already primed for when defenses load upfront & leave the rear back an open vacancy.......I still think that WR's Triston Jackson, Van Jefferson & even the under 4-4 40 Webster just have that ability to go deep & often when required.

I agree on Jefferson. He may be the guy we need out side, to spread the field.
Couple that with yet another year of improvement on our big guys up front and we should be able to get back to those 15 yrd pass plays we saw frequently in '18.

For the time being, let's just protect Goff and use those TEs to help open holes for our backs.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Don't hurt your arm. It'd be ashame to get injured and still be wrong on so many points.
Speaking of wrong

you screwed the pooch with your constant bitching, moaning and yes even whining over the pre season state of affair of this line

Yet, as of to date, I haven’t seen you yet own up to your utterly (let’s see be careful OC) ridiculously erroneous bad take?

I mean seriously, that’s all you harped on seemingly forever preseason, some of US, yes us, actually were patient, and here were are at 9-4

for your sake, choose your next words well, cuz right now you ain’t looking too credible

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Speaking of wrong

you screwed the pooch with your constant bitching, moaning and yes even whining over the pre season state of affair of this line

Yet, as of to date, I haven’t seen you yet own up to your utter...(let’s see be careful OC) ridiculously bad take?
He's not the only one that had concerns.
I was also very concerned about that unit.

I admit it is improved, but its certainly not great.

I want a 2018 caliber
O-line.