O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
What we have in the OLine are guys that are generally smart and just physical enough to operate well as a unit. Havs is strong but a bit stiff. Corbett has improved his strength and technique considerably. Blythe lacks power but at center is just strong enough to use his intelligence and technique to win more than he loses. He just isn't powerful enough at guard. Edwards is a godsend as he will lock down his position for a long career and can fill at tackle if needed. Whit is elite but time is not our friend with him so the staff has to continue to develop Noteboom who needs to continue strengthening his core.

The key though is HOW they are utilized. Most of their reps have been with zone blocking principles and teams have learned how to beat this line in that manner which is why we just witnessed the shift in play design I've shouted for weeks to use. They are now using combo blocks and *gasp* Corbett actually pulled left on first down to spring Akers for 14. They used Everett as a fullback. By mixing up the run game, they've become less predictable and given this line a chance to attack rather than defend their deficiencies. Now, if they will just become less predictable on their play action game and screens, we may finally see the explosiveness this offense is capable of becoming.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Has anyone noticed how much bigger David Edwards has gotten? Even Havenstein looked small compared to him. And speaking of Edwards, I always thought the kid wound end up at right tackle, and I believe he could play either position equally as well. But he is a very good guard, and he's only what... 23? He and Corbett have grown quite a bit since last year. Big, strong, and ascending. Way to go, Les.
I am sure that David Edwards who is over 6-6/308 lbs listing on him is "Not Accurate". Looks more like 320lbs easy. The entire draft world in 2019 all claimed DE was a highly effective run blocking Right OT PERIOD! End of story. Kromer inserts him @ both OG posts now a looks to be cemented in @ LG.

DE playing next to LT Joe Noteboom who is fine @ pass blocking but JN is still a work in progress @ run blocking. I think that JN is especially smart & has a good working brain. I am confident that by the time the regular season has concluded JN will be earning some good grades in his run blocking technics & working well with DE.

Corbett and Edwards have been really solid. I can see Corbett moving to Center and Evans to RG in 2021, because of cap challenges and the inability to resign Blythe.

Talent wise this Oline is probably a 10-15 league ranked group, when Whitworth is in there. Better run blocking then they are as pass blockers. Blythe and Havenstein can be liabilities. They are probably a top 5 run blocking group but the TE and WR blocking is inconsistent and often brings the unit down.

The pass protection issues are even more glaring with Noteboom but Mcvay covers it up real well with the short passing game and moving Goff out of the pocket.
I will say this IF in the initial 2021 Andrew Whitworth & Joe Noteboom remain alternating starting Duo @ LT then that would give Kromer some measure to plan on utilizing the talented 3rd round 2029 OL Bobby Evans @ right OG & just not @ reserve RT. Thus permitting the use of Austin Corbett @ center if desired. AC's now having 2 seasons of starting experience @ both OG posts would have groomed him to be ready to center in his 4th season. AC is much bigger than Blythe. Has the IQ is said to be a surgeon in his future.

It will be BE entering his 3rd season after starting the last half of his rookie season @ RT. BE will be Kromer's most experienced OL not starting by the end of this season. BE reported having terrific mobility with nimble feet when engaged on the second level. His best talent is mauling in the run game Kromer might be eyeing teaming the 6-4 313lb & RT Hav on the right side.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I am sure that David Edwards who is over 6-6/308 lbs listing on him is "Not Accurate". Looks more like 320lbs easy.

Never understood the Why ... but NFL rosters often fail to update a player's weight.

Frequently, the listed weight is that which the player was at when he entered the League.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Never understood the Why ... but NFL rosters often fail to update a player's weight.

Frequently, the listed weight is that which the player was at when he entered the League.

Agree about teams updating roster